Homebrew Mame 2003 Plus

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Midway games aren't playable in latest cores. You have to use a dedicated core or older ones:
https://gbatemp.net/threads/mame-2003-plus.499497/post-8483035

But, pretty sure this game won't run smoothly anyway.
hey thanks for your reply. that attached core was able to get maximum hangtime to run pretty good, by using an overclocked forwarder from wii u to vwii mode. it is 95% playable still has a few audio pops and glitches (64ms and 48000khz audio settings). i'm guessing that is the limits of the wii u, or possibly the results of using an older core?

Reactions: SaulFabre

fabiobad

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Well, im now collaborating (a bit) with the upcoming split cores of MAME2003+ to be integrated officially to RetroArch Wii. I'm a beta tester right now, but i cant say a date when this gets an updated official MAME2003+ cores on Wii.
Hi!
I saw that the Retroarch Wii files from the official site are from 2 October 2023, do you confirm that it's got updated with the cores you were testing? thank you.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
has anyone got nba jam rewind or ultimate mortal kombat 3 plus arcade romhacks to run?

They need to be added to the source code as valid romsets I believe, while we're at it if anyone can do the same for SF2 Mix on CPS1, that would be incredible.

I also see there's a killer instinct core here? Does it run even halfway decently at all on the Wii?

grandosegood

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They need to be added to the source code as valid romsets I believe, while we're at it if anyone can do the same for SF2 Mix on CPS1, that would be incredible.

I also see there's a killer instinct core here? Does it run even halfway decently at all on the Wii?

can i make the romhacks and just rename them to their original names, or will mame detect it as a bad rom still

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
can i make the romhacks and just rename them to their original names, or will mame detect it as a bad rom still
The CRCs won't match so it won't load. If you modify the CRCs to match what MAME wants it will just crash. There's usually a way to load modified rom by extracting the ROM as its own folder instead of a compressed archive but this doesn't work on MAME Wii or Retroarch Wii.

It's a trivial change to simply add the modified roms as a valid child romset which is the better solution. Interesting enough I don't remember earlier versions of Retroarch FBA on Wii having strict CRC validation since I distinctly remember being able to use the Metal Slug 2 turbo hack before it was it's own romset.

Last edited by Disorarara,

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
raiden2.zip can be loaded if you enable MAME Menu, and mess with the memory banks. But it loads a garbled game with no sound.
Whilst tetrisplus.zip is loaded normally with Alt_coreG, but the sound is funky.
@JuanMena

How i can enable the MAME Menu in @Wiimpathy's cores? I try to access it but i can't find that option.

Disorarara

Trophies
XP
Country
Raiden definitely won't work due to MAME 2003 being far older than the encryption chip on the board being emulated, either a hack with decrypted roms is needed or a backport of the code needed for emulating the encryption chip. Better to play Raiden collection on PSX.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@JuanMena

How i can enable the MAME Menu in @Wiimpathy's cores? I try to access it but i can't find that option.
It's in the cores iptions:
Menu / Quick Menu / Options / Enzble Menu

Then you have to navigate your way to dip switches or something like that. I'll try to upload a video later if you can't find the process.
Post automatically merged:

@SaulFabre if you're planning to look Raiden2 with Wiimpathy's cores, try using a keyboard instead of a controller in RetroArch as Raiden2 says to use keyboard to exit the menu that prevents it from loading the game.

Last edited by JuanMena,
  • Love

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Raiden definitely won't work due to MAME 2003 being far older than the encryption chip on the board being emulated, either a hack with decrypted roms is needed or a backport of the code needed for emulating the encryption chip. Better to play Raiden collection on PSX.
@Disorarara
Not gonna play Raiden for now, but anyways thanks for the info ;)

It's in the cores iptions:
Menu / Quick Menu / Options / Enzble Menu

Then you have to navigate your way to dip switches or something like that. I'll try to upload a video later if you can't find the process.
Post automatically merged:

@SaulFabre if you're planning to look Raiden2 with Wiimpathy's cores, try using a keyboard instead of a controller in RetroArch as Raiden2 says to use keyboard to exit the menu that prevents it from loading the game.
@JuanMena
Thanks for the info, i can access the MAME Menu in various games.
Unfortunately some games dont let me use the MAME Menu (ex. Mortal Kombat 1).

Do some arcades dont have DIP switches or posibility for customize options?

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
@Disorarara
Not gonna play Raiden for now, but anyways thanks for the info ;)

@JuanMena
Thanks for the info, i can access the MAME Menu in various games.
Unfortunately some games dont let me use the MAME Menu (ex. Mortal Kombat 1).

Do some arcades dont have DIP switches or posibility for customize options?
No, that menu is hidden behind a code... or must I say "kode"? You need to input a button combo to get into dip switches in Midway games.

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
No, that menu is hidden behind a code... or must I say "kode"? You need to input a button combo to get into dip switches in Midway games.
Please tell me. I'm interested.
I'm done at always being beaten by the very first level enemy in both MK1 and MK2... that i really want to change difficulty setting.
What is the secret "kode" in Midway games?

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Please tell me. I'm interested.
I'm done at always being beaten by the very first level enemy in both MK1 and MK2... that i really want to change difficulty setting.
What is the secret "kode" in Midway games?
Even if you set the game at Easy, it ramps to hard after two matches.

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Even if you set the game at Easy, it ramps to hard after two matches.

Damnit.
Made me remember that Street Fighter II also cheats a lot to us at first match or even after two matches... (SO UNFAIR ALREADY!!!)

Anyways, i want the secret Midway code so i can enter to DIP switches. Pretty please.

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Damnit.
Made me remember that Street Fighter II also cheats a lot to us at first match or even after two matches... (SO UNFAIR ALREADY!!!)
Skill issue, I can beat Street Fighter Arcade just fine.

Anyways, i want the secret Midway code so i can enter to DIP switches. Pretty please.

MKKhanzo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Woah I have YEARS without posting here

Whats the current status of this emulator?

I back then did a test of Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 arcade running VERY good on Wii. MKII had the sound glitch buffer sadly but IDK if it was fixed? Also, do UMK3 or MK3 work now? They always crashed the emulator.

This was my vid back then:

SaulFabre

Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Woah I have YEARS without posting here

Whats the current status of this emulator?

I back then did a test of Mortal Kombat 1 and 2 arcade running VERY good on Wii. MKII had the sound glitch buffer sadly but IDK if it was fixed? Also, do UMK3 or MK3 work now? They always crashed the emulator.

This was my vid back then:

@Wiimpathy is already done with this project of MAME 2003 Plus, so it's not updated anymore.

About MK2, did you try enabling the MK2 Speedhacks? Also lowering the audio samples buffer?

I remember official MAME2003+ developers also added a more neat way for 'splitting' the cores, but it was 1-2 years ago.
Recently i resaw the code and it's still there, but i just dont know how to make a makefile for compile specifically the Midway cores.

MKKhanzo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
@Wiimpathy is already done with this project of MAME 2003 Plus, so it's not updated anymore.

About MK2, did you try enabling the MK2 Speedhacks? Also lowering the audio samples buffer?

I remember official MAME2003+ developers also added a more neat way for 'splitting' the cores, but it was 1-2 years ago.
Recently i resaw the code and it's still there, but i just dont know how to make a makefile for compile specifically the Midway cores.
Thanks for the answer. Yeah MK2 had its speedhack on, and no, back then I didnt tried the soundbuffer trick.

A single core for each of these games might do wonders. I would have to dust off my Wii to check again!

And Im on the same boat, I cant compile!

JuanMena

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Suddenly my Hi Scores are not getting recorded 🥺

Anyone know how to fix this issue?
Oh... it seems Scores are not working in USB.

Changed to SD and it's working now.
IMG_20240220_102627_255.jpg

Yeah, my score is APE's.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: luke try not to say "for instance" or "etc." in a post challenge, level impossible