Making animated channels

Discussion in 'Wii - Hacking' started by G2K, May 10, 2009.

May 10, 2009

Making animated channels by G2K at 3:20 AM (1,519 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. G2K
    OP

Member G2K GBAtemp Regular

Canada
    So I've seen all these animated channels strting to pop up, and I've been meaning to make one for a while now. I have a few Qs.

1) So WADder can open the animation of another channel and change the pictures around as well as the sound, right? More info / turoial would be helpful please and thank you [​IMG]

2) I've heard of some other way to make your own animation from scratch, though with more of a risk at bricking your Wii. Also more info please.

3) Is it possible to edit the "channel" part of the channel and replace the images? You know, the part that is shown on the Wii menu.

4) Is there some database that has videos of all th channels, so I can choose which one to alter?

2. oneleggedjack

Member oneleggedjack GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Is this for your upcoming release of that bad ass starbright loader??

3. G2K
    OP

Canada
    [​IMG]

Actually, it's not, but I imagine this would be helpful when the time comes. Don't expect it to be out soon though, it's coming along, but I've never actually programmed for the Wii before, so it'll be a while.

4. Wiisel

Member Wiisel GBAtemp Maniac

United Kingdom
    theres some vids posted on wadder.net aswell as plenty of bases to choose from

5. jarock

Member jarock GBAtemp Fan

Ireland
    1, You can replace the animated images with WADder but will have the same animated effect as original wad. You should choose a good base wad and just replace them. As far as creating an animated channel from scratch, there is nothing that can help do this at the moment as far as I know. Unless you edit the Brlyt/Brlan files. But I have bricked my Wii a few times editing these....thanks to Preloader I recovered everytime.

If you know your stuff well I would imagine you could. You should checkout www.wadder.net for your base wads, check forums for wad guides and I would post also asking around for ppl who might know there stuff well enough to help you out.

I have done a few animated channels but all of them were from base files.

6. Blue-K

Member Blue-K No right of appeal.

Switzerland
    Although it isn't that easy, you'll have to compile a version for yourself, etc...but maybe you can have a look at that. Otherwise, www.wadder.net would be the easier solution, I think...

7. jarock

Ireland
    Yeah there is that but it's not really easy, unless you have a fair good idea of what your doing.
    Then again maybe you do! I on the other hand don't....lol

8. G2K
    OP

Canada
    So what about editing where the channel's icon / logo would normally be? I know retail games have those animated, rather than two images fading between each other, so can you edit the animations there?

9. jarock

Ireland
    Yeah you can replace images in most animationed channels.
    You can replace the Icon / logo and banner images.

1, If you start with a good base wad that has animation.
    2, Open the wad in WADder and view the images you want to replace.
    3, Create your images same size as the ones your replacing. "If you preview images in WADder it will show you width+height".
    4, Many animated images have transparent backgrounds so do same. You can tell if they have as wadder will show black background when previewing images, unless it is has a black background, but you will know from viewing the original channel.
    5, Save your images in a format that supports transparency or bmp file if non as this seems to be the best for non image loss I find.
    6. Replace the images in WADder with yours.
    7. Any images you don't want don't delete them from WADder just create transparent images same size but blank ones and replace them also.
    8. If you delete images you don't want it will prob will have a channel brick.
    9. Some trial and error if your not afraid..... [​IMG]

Also just a note be careful if your trying to use an offical channel wad, these are not that easy to edit I find. Had more bricks trying to replace images on these. Would advise using a custom channel base wad that works before attempting one of these.

Best of luck.

10. G2K
    OP

Canada

A bit to late on that one... I just edited the images in the SSBB channell and now I've got a brick. How do I start preloader again? I thought it was holding Reset while powering on but guess I'm wrong.

11. jarock

Ireland
    Press power on then keep reset pressed down

Posts merged

12. vettacossx

Member vettacossx Wii Theme Team Founder

Ireland
    i think ill wait for wadder and benzin to merge there capability b4 i tackle any animated channels [​IMG] besides wiisel and wilsoff make awesome channels anyway! [​IMG]

13. diddy81

Member diddy81 Wii Theme Team

United Kingdom
    this guys got alot of ww vids to check the animations

here

14. G2K
    OP

Canada
    That's the same thing that I did! WTF!? I created a seperate topic anyway though, so let's keep this on topic.

15. ThatDudeWithTheFood

Member ThatDudeWithTheFood TRIANGLEZ

United States
    I use benzin for brlyt editing themes use benzin for editing channels brlyts

16. G2K
    OP

Canada
    That's the same thing that I did! WTF!? I created a seperate topic anyway though, so let's keep this on topic.

17. littlecubba

Newcomer littlecubba Advanced Member

United Kingdom
    i take it that there is still no program that allows you to create an animated channel without editing an exsisting one...???
    or should that be an eaiser way of creating one from scatch...???

18. Kakkoii

Member Kakkoii Old fart

Canada
    Bunch of animated video channels here:
    http://wadder.net/wiki/index.php/Hall_Of_Fame

And yes, it's easier to just edit an existing one, and just edit all the options that matter to you, such as names, images and whatever homebrew your going to launch.