Hacking Homebrew Oldies Emulator emuNAND homebrew channel boots bootmii which freezes

FrankBlack22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
tl;dr : Started my wii on emuNAND with SNEEK. Works as expected, games are working and stuff. Homebrew Channel doesn't work; boots BootMii instead. BootMii freezes on scam warning screen, gamecube and Power/reset buttons do nothing.

Full Context :

I've spent some time now trying to install my "perfect collection of retro games" on my Wii. As it tends to happen though, I ran out of internal storage space and since I'm very picky with presentation, just transferring titles to my SD card simply will not do. Running an emuNAND with SNEEK came up to me as the solution.

After a few hours of head scratching, I was able to successfully run my Wii on a dumped clone of itself from my SD card. The build ran as advertised with most games playable. The problem : Not all of my retro games are proper VC titles. Some of them are Forwarder channels that link to a Homebrew emulator (ie not64). These don't work at all currently and will simply boot me back to system menu.

Note that I'm currently only using a single SD card for this. Since this setup isn't meant to run GC or Wii games, I've refrained from using a USB drive.

Now, when I red about SNEEK, I red that it should be compatible with the Homebrew Channel and that I should be able to run Homebrew apps from there. I have no idea, however, if this should also apply to forwarder channels that launch a Homebrew app. I can't even make sure of that though, because the Homebrew Channel itself doesn't work. When I try to boot it, it launches BootMii instead. BootMii itself doesn't seem to work either. It remains stuck on the "If you payed for this product, you got scammed" screen. I tried pressing every buttons on my GameCube controller and both Power and Reset buttons on my Wii, nothing works. Note that my Homebrew channel and BootMii worked perfectly well on my real Wii NAND.

Anyway, that's the whole story. Any insight is appreciated.

XFlak

Wiitired but still kicking
Trophies
Website
modmii.github.io
XP
Country
Cyprus
Remove the hbc using showmiiwads/showmiinand, then add the hbc 1.1.5 Wad

The removal step may not be necessary if your current hbc has the LULZ title ID (it should just overwrite)

Modmii's emunand modifier can assist with adding the hbc to your emunand, as well as some other optional tweaks

FrankBlack22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Remove the hbc using showmiiwads/showmiinand, then add the hbc 1.1.5 Wad

The removal step may not be necessary if your current hbc has the LULZ title ID (it should just overwrite)

Modmii's emunand modifier can assist with adding the hbc to your emunand, as well as some other optional tweaks
Are you sure it's 1.1.5? I've googled it and can't find anything higher than 1.1.4-1. And that one uses the title ID OHBC.
Post automatically merged:

Did some research and found mentions of denvol's hbc 1.1.5 WAD. Supposedly, they have that on GitHub. But I can't for the life of me find that repo or any link leading to it.

Last edited by FrankBlack22,

FrankBlack22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
It's on modmii's download page 2, also here https://github.com/Wii-Mini-Hacking/hbc/releases
Alright, hbc works now. But as I feared, my forwarder channels for not64 emulated games still don't work. hbc itself doesn't have access to its applications (menu is empty). I assume it's because my SD card is basically "taken hostage" while it's being used to run the emuNAND and can't be used for anything else. Am I supposed to transfer my homebrew apps on USB or is there another solution?

FrankBlack22

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
U could build sneek with SD access enabled, but it's generally not recommended as it could mess things up, possibly even corrupting data on SD. So yeah moving apps to USB might be better, or... use uneek instead of sneek
Alright, I switched to uneek. Worked like a charm. I just have one question. Is it possible to replace the system menu for one that holds more then 48 slots? Are there any custom menus like that? I don't currently need it, just in case for the future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto