Majora’s Mask PC port 2Ship2Harkinian gets its first release

MM.jpg

After several months of work, the Harbour Masters 64 team have released their first public build of 2Ship2Harkinian, a feature-rich Majora's Mask PC port. This comes just weeks after Zelda64Recomp, a separate PC port of Majora's Mask, released to show the potential of static recompilation tool N64Recomp. Being known for their Ocarina of Time port before this the Harbour Masters 64 team have a number of great quality of life improvements out of the gate, with more to follow in the future as the project matures.

MM in game.jpg

In the 1.0.0 release dubbed Rika Alfa, you can expect to find options allowing for free camera control, Ocarina of Time-style saving, and cutscene skipping amonst much more. The port also features configurable graphics options, as well as framerate customisation that makes use of matrix interpolation, preserving the 20 FPS in-game logic while giving you the smooth experience many come to expect of a modern title.

2s2h options.png

As with Ship of Harkinian you are required to provide a ROM to be able to play, with both the N64 1.0 and GameCube USA ROMs being supported. Setup is as easy as pointing the executable file to your ROM, and setting whatever new options you might fancy out of the gate. For Steam Deck users there is also a native Linux release available. You can find the source code and download linked below.

:arrow: Download

regnad

Button Masher
Trophies
XP
Country
Japan
Using interpolation at 165fps does some weird things! Little animations such as blinking and splashes go super fast. Most amusing, the jump cuts the mask salesman does that are supposed to add to his creepiness are smoothed out, so it just looks like he’s really fast.

SecureBoot

Your friendly neighborhood idiot
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good answer, you think of that all by yourself??

If you actually read what I said... Some people like it, just not me.... Which I was asked directly about by someone else!

Next time, try to chime in with with worthwhile conversation. Once your finished with all those options of course... :rofl2:
But the question is still worth asking... Why would you actually want fewer options? What benefit does that serve you specifically?

Ninja-Eule

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
It's not all about assets, just featuring Mario in a fan game is enough to catch their attention.
Using Mario in a fangame is using their assets/intelectual property. All this does is add options to the game and allows it to be play on systems it wasn't designed for. This is like requiring you to add your own Mario in the fan game for it to start.
Post automatically merged:

I don't believe it has save states, but it does bring back OoT's save system to allow you to save from any location, so it's at least a step closer than the original game.
Are either this or the recomp version likely to ever have save states? This is a game, if one ever existed, where the ability to pause and resume later would be nice.

I don’t have my hopes up for this one since Harkinian doesn’t, but what about the recomp?
I believe the recomp does have auto saves by hijacking the owl statues.

Last edited by Ninja-Eule,

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
But the question is still worth asking... Why would you actually want fewer options? What benefit does that serve you specifically?
I know its worth asking but the other poster tried to be an ass about it.

Again tho, if you really want to know why I personally don't like it then re read the thread. I have already answered and obviously ruffled a few feathers which is nice but to sum up I didn't say explicitly they should stop but imo there was a time to call it "finished"

If people don't like my opinions then don't read them.... :creep::rofl2:

Ninja-Eule

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Nintendo is so proud of its game franchises that they wouldn't let ANYONE use them, be it with or without permission.
It's not that I like it but considering they almost lost Donkey Kong cause Warner Brothers sued them claiming that it was too similar to King Kong and that Japan has no fair use it's somewhat understandable.

Last edited by Ninja-Eule,

SDA

Wanderin' Jelly Boy
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
It's not that I like it but considering they almost lost Donkey Kong cause Warner Brothers sued them claiming that it was too similar to Donkey Kong and that Japan has no fair use it's somewhat understandable.
  1. That was Universal Pictures, not Warner Bros.
  2. The movie they mentioned is named "King Kong".

Bladexdsl

fanboys triggered 9k+
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Using Mario in a fangame is using their assets/intelectual property. All this does is add options to the game and allows it to be play on systems it wasn't designed for.
have you seen what they are like now they basically do not want any of their games on any system that is NOT nintendo including pc and emulators. they are more fucking ruthless than apple now

Last edited by Bladexdsl,

Ninja-Eule

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
have you seen what they are like now they basically do not want any of their games on any system that is NOT nintendo including pc and emulators. they are more fucking ruthless than apple now
Well, they can try and shut down what they want, but if they have no legal basis their attempt won't work.
They could only shut down Yuzo because the emulator was using (most likely bios) files that included code written by Nintendo. That's also the reason why Portal64 was shut down. Emulators for example Batocera often ask you to get your own bios files to avoid this issue and well neither of those ports require bios files as they aren't emulators. Also, Yuzo was emulating a current-gen console, for obvious reasons, they are more desperate to shut those down. Microsoft and Sony just never had to deal with those cause usually the overhead required for emulation makes sure that they only come out after they have already become obsolete.

Reactions: Carller0

DuoForce

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good answer, you think of that all by yourself??

If you actually read what I said... Some people like it, just not me.... Which I was asked directly about by someone else!

Next time, try to chime in with with worthwhile conversation. Once your finished with all those options of course... :rofl2:
Calm down little bro, no need for a full-blown temper-tantrum :D:P
Post automatically merged:

He hates fun

Last edited by DuoForce,
  • Haha
Reactions: Lostbhoy

Phearoz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I haven't looked very much at the details, as cool as it is, but I am surprised you need a rom to play this. From what I understood, they've created their own executable with game in full.

LuigiXHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Even tho I already had a save in the first decomp, I'm probably going to restart on this for the 2nd stick camera and other enhancements
No need to restart 2ship has support for recomp and most emulator save files you just drag them into the window while in the file select screen and it'll try to import the saves into any empty slots.
I've been keeping an eye on the decompilation, so this is quite the surprise. is this based on the recompilation, or did they secretly finish the decomp but aren't sharing? they don't seem like the non-sharing type so...
They have their own fork of the decompilation on their GitHub they finished and released when they did. https://github.com/HarbourMasters/mm

Reactions: LightBeam

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
It's not all about assets, just featuring Mario in a fan game is enough to catch their attention.
That's why I use "Mark the Super Non-Descript Tradesman" in my GB Studio project:

bgb00121 copy.png

bgb00122 copy.png

He can even manifest projectile balls of flames from his hands using the (B) button.

• Haha
Reactions: Carller0

LightBeam

Trophies
XP
Country
France
No need to restart 2ship has support for recomp and most emulator save files you just drag them into the window while in the file select screen and it'll try to import the saves into any empty slots.
I assumed the saves weren't the same and haven't looked into it, huge thanks for the info !

Reactions: LuigiXHero

Ninja-Eule

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's why I use "Mark the Super Non-Descript Tradesman" in my GB Studio project:

View attachment 439652

View attachment 439651

He can even manifest projectile balls of flames from his hands using the (B) button.
Reminds me of that Austin Powers scene with the thing that looks like Godzilla but due to international copyright law it's not.

• Haha
Reactions: Carller0 and Jayro

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
That looks exactly like Super Mario Land 2. Nintendo's not gonna fall for it.
Sucks for them, lol. I don't even know who "Mario" is. This is Mark. :yaysp:

Does he paint houses? Maybe delivers packages around town? Nobody really knows his trade...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: NES emulator on a Pico. +1