Hacking Luma3DS - Noob-proof 3DS Custom Firmware

toto621

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I suggest to all having problems with games to stick to legacy build, rosalia is far too unstable and buggy and should not even present in stable branch. I got Ever oasis (and many other games) errors too with Luma 8.x, all fixed by using legacy branch. This branch have a bright future and is not going to disappear soon...

soprano1

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
I suggest to all having problems with games to stick to legacy build, rosalia is far too unstable and buggy and should not even present in stable branch. I got Ever oasis (and many other games) errors too with Luma 8.x, all fixed by using legacy branch. This branch have a bright future and is not going to disappear soon...
Could you or someone please direct me to this legacy build? I can run Ever Oasis fine, but it gives me the arm11 error when i try to load my save with NTR codes. Thank you.

EDIT: Are these the legacy builds to use: http://astronautlevel2.github.io/Luma3DS/
EDIT2: Hmm, it seems my issue seems to be from using speedfly's plugin, i changed to the one from the converted topic and it works now. Hope this helps someone with this particular issue.

Last edited by soprano1,
Reactions: Deleted User

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed B9 2 days ago and also have luma installed (8.1) and latest B9 I think. Anyway, I have gotten a few Arm11 crashes when runing GBA Libretro emulator. It has happened both times when I load games. Has anyone else had some Arm11 errors with B9? Should I be concerned/worried about future crashes? I am afraid to play a game (3DS games), try to save progress, and have it crash during that... Thoughts and help appreciated :)

Salfay

Trophies
XP
Country
France
I installed B9 2 days ago and also have luma installed (8.1) and latest B9 I think. Anyway, I have gotten a few Arm11 crashes when runing GBA Libretro emulator. It has happened both times when I load games. Has anyone else had some Arm11 errors with B9? Should I be concerned/worried about future crashes? I am afraid to play a game (3DS games), try to save progress, and have it crash during that... Thoughts and help appreciated :)

Don't worry: i have some crashes like you sometimes, but it never happens when you play 3DS Games.
I think these issues happens only when using homebrew (emulators for exemple).

You can plya 3DS games quietly :)

toto621

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Could you or someone please direct me to this legacy build? I can run Ever Oasis fine, but it gives me the arm11 error when i try to load my save with NTR codes. Thank you.

EDIT: Are these the legacy builds to use: http://astronautlevel2.github.io/Luma3DS/
EDIT2: Hmm, it seems my issue seems to be from using speedfly's plugin, i changed to the one from the converted topic and it works now. Hope this helps someone with this particular issue.
Sorry for the delay, I was at work. Yes, astronautlevel2's builds repo have legacy's builds too so you can use them. Using legacy builds I have ZERO errors with games while encounter many with the so called "stable" builds.

Reactions: soprano1

toto621

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Should I use a Luma Legacy build? I am on Luma 8.1 and latest B9 I think...
If you want stability and reliability then yes, I strongly suggest legacy branch. The "stable" branch is now only stable in the name and should be renamed "testing" branch while Legacy branch is free of any unstable stuff (mainly rosalia) and should be renamed "stable" from my point of view.

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you want stability and reliability then yes, I strongly suggest legacy branch. The "stable" branch is now only stable in the name and should be renamed "testing" branch while Legacy branch is free of any unstable stuff (mainly rosalia) and should be renamed "stable" from my point of view.

Ok, thanks for the info. Which one should I use? I am on latest B9 I think (1.2), I followed guide on https://3ds.guide/a9lh-to-b9s. Also, how would I install Luma Legacy branch?

soprano1

Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
Sorry for the delay, I was at work. Yes, astronautlevel2's builds repo have legacy's builds too so you can use them. Using legacy builds I have ZERO errors with games while encounter many with the so called "stable" builds.
Thanks for the reply.

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I installed Luma Legacy branch, no crashes in 3DS (CIA) games so far. Have not tried Libretro GBA yet... :unsure:

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

What is Rosalina? I don't know anything about it...

Last edited by Skeet1983,

toto621

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Rosalia is the name of a "hidden" menu allowing (when it will work without issues in a couple of month and after HEAVY debugging and bugfixing) :
A menu which can be opened at any time (combo: L+Down+Select, although you can change it at runtime), featuring:
  • A process list submenu (used to select process to attach when the debugger is enabled)
  • A processes patch submenu: patches FS and SM
  • A N3DS Clock+L2 submenu (hidden on O3DS)
  • A screenshot action. This is slow but it works
  • Other various options, see below
  • A display of the remaining battery percentage in the bottom right of the screen, and of the Luma3DS commit at the bottom left

astronautlevel

Trophies
Website
ataber.pw
XP
Country
United States
All of the issues are not caused by Rosalina, but instead by a combination of two things:
  1. Not activating region emulation which causes an exception to be thrown for out of region games, leading directly into...
  2. The new exception handler that throws exceptions no matter what, even if they're typically non-fatal
The solution here is to download luma 8.1 and download luma locale switcher RVC from TitleDB. Then use Luma Locale Switcher to set the game's locale (for example, if you're using a US console and the game is EUR, set the region to EUR and language to EN), and enable game patching in the luma settings. You may also elect to disable the exception handler.

This will allow you to both keep Luma3DS 8.1 and play any game without issue.

Last edited by astronautlevel,

Skeet1983

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All of the issues are not caused by Rosalina, but instead by a combination of two things:
  1. Not activating region emulation which causes an exception to be thrown for out of region games, leading directly into...
  2. The new exception handler that throws exceptions no matter what, even if they're typically non-fatal
The solution here is to download luma 8.1 and download luma locale switcher RVC from TitleDB. Then use Luma Locale Switcher to set the game's locale (for example, if you're using a US console and the game is EUR, set the region to EUR and language to EN), and enable game patching in the luma settings. You may also elect to disable to exception handler.

This will allow you to both keep Luma3DS 8.1 and play any game without issue.

The Arm11 crashes I am experiencing are not due to region emulation, I think. I am not using region emulation as far as I know...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: This parrot is no more it has ceased to be!