Banned
Trophies
Website
dutchmw3.webs.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
QUOTE said:
The hacking group known as LulzSec called it Titanic Takeover Tuesday. Gamers called it by a variety of names, many of which cannot be reprinted here. But for system administrators at a handful of gaming companies, Tuesday, June 14 was a nightmare: the day their websites went down under an online attack. QUOTELulzSec took down systems at the Escapist, Eve Online, Minecraft and League of Legends Tuesday during a three-hourlong distributed denial-of-service rampage that left gamers annoyed and the Lulz hackers crowing.

"Welcome to #TitanicTakeoverTuesday where everyone is laughing at crybabies getting Lulz Cannoned!" the hacking group said during one of its many Twitter messages documenting the online assault.

LulzSec emerged out of nowhere last month and immediately embarked on a series of high-profile hacking attacks, stealing data from Sony and game-maker Bethesda Softworks and compromising computers at the U.S. Senate and the Public Broadcasting Service, among others.

Unlike the better-known Anonymous hacking group, LulzSec doesn't appear to have any particular political motivation behind its attacks. The group takes its name from Lulz -- hacker speak for "laughs" -- and often appears to be hacking just for the fun of it.

Tuesday's attack started at the Escapist, an online magazine whose forums had swelled with angry comments after the Bethesda hack. "I want them caught and punished, a few years in jail for people like that would be hell," wrote Escapist forum member Psychicflash666 before the site was taken down.

An Escapist spokesman said that access to the company's website was "intermittent" for three hours Tuesday because of the attack. "Our system administrators are still reviewing the situation to assess whether anything occurred other than a DDoS attack," he said in an e-mail message.

After its attack on the Escapist, LulzSec invited people to call in via telephone and recommend new targets. It then began attacking gaming sites Eve Online, Minecraft and League of Legends. The hackers also said that they hit FinFisher, an IT intrusion monitoring company owned by Gamma Group.

Late Tuesday Eve Online and the Escapist websites remained offline, but League of Legends, Minecraft and FinFisher were all operational.

"And that concludes our DDoS party: Escapist Magazine, Eve Online, Minecraft, League of Legends + 8 phone requests. #TitanicTakeoverTuesday," LulzSec said in a Twitter message.

An hour later, LulzSec was again inviting followers to call in. "Now accepting calls from true lulz fans - let's all laugh together at... gamers. "

Robert McMillan covers computer security and general technology breaking news for The IDG News Service. Follow Robert on Twitter at @bobmcmillan. Robert's e-mail address is [email protected]
Source

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Great, more hacking.
dry.gif

Slyakin

See ya suckers
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow. Now they've turned into a bunch of douches. The sad thing is, many people can do this if they studied their stuff. Lulzsec is the only one that took the time to study.

So... do we deserve this?

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The temp may not be as big as those sites, but all it takes is a mention and some convincing.
Unfortunately, the internet was never safe to begin with. I think we all knew something like this would happen eventually. I hope they get caught soon.

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
I'm still surprised there was no attack on Blizzard, do they love them? Lol

Or maybe they know that if they attack Blizzard (home to over 15m players), everyone will target them. So they are playing safe by targeting weak gaming sites like Minecraft, League Of Legends...etc

SamAsh07

Trophies
XP
Country
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Clydefrosch said:
its great how, the moment anyone gets between gamers and their reason to avoid the sun, hackers are all evil again xD
Fix your sentence to "most gamers".

I won't mind if they hack an MMO I play, because there barely is any that I play looool.

Last Played: WoW on 25th May 2011

Nujui

I need something to do.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm starting to think there should be one thread for all hacks, because it's like they hack 3 sites every week.

Goli

RPG
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
KirbyBoy said:
I'm starting to think there should be one thread for all hacks, because it's like they hack 3 sites every week.
Or maybe there should be no more threads since they're just attention whores?

Clydefrosch

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
its not like those mmos were doing anyone much harm now, right?

they'll just hack whatever is easy enough to hack and might get enough media attention.

so nothing will happen here.

add to that, they are slowly starting to get annoyed with ddos attacks right now.
a german court decided some days ago, that ddos counts as computer sabotage and could be punished with up to 5 years of prison...
so yeah, chances are that, with them doing this stuff so often and in public, ddos might soon be considered quite the crime in a few parts of the world.

Eckin

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
DDoS != hacking

seriously guys, chill out

some sites were unavaible for 30min~1 hour, no big deal. People couldn't play EVE or Minecraft for that same time, well read a book while you wait. It's not like a maintenance would take less than that, right?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For now I think I will leave it at some people would do well to read up on some of the group dynamic, gang psychology and similar things although whether you want to jump straight to *pathys is a different matter.

Personally I am going to maintain my detached outlook on things.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Imagine putting your butt near it :tpi: