Hacking loadiine - the first backup loader for WiiU

Status
Not open for further replies.

galneon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Looking forward to watching this develop over the coming days. I actually own all of the Wii U games that I want to play but I am looking forward to homebrew.

I almost bought a second Wii U a few weeks ago but realized I had all the decent games and that few are likely to come out in the future. The only reason I'm still considering it is because, with ROM injection, it seems the Wii U may be the ultimate NDS setup. At least I don't see deSmuME running on my PC and syncing with my tablet as a touch display any time soon...

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I almost bought a second Wii U a few weeks ago but realized I had all the decent games and that few are likely to come out in the future. The only reason I'm still considering it is because, with ROM injection, it seems the Wii U may be the ultimate NDS setup. At least I don't see deSmuME running on my PC and syncing with my tablet as a touch display any time soon...
Couldn't you just use Remote Desktop or something similar and have the same effect?

Reactions: Margen67

galneon

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Couldn't you just use Remote Desktop or something similar and have the same effect?

I use VNC all the time (as I type this, in fact) and the latency is a bit high for gaming. I've yet to find mobile clients that offer versatile scaling options, and those which perform best do not necessarily offer the right input options (cursor control)... A more direct solution would be best, but I don't ever expect it to happen, especially not for an Android/IOS tablet.

I have a multiple monitor setup so it wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me, but there's also the issue that you wouldn't be able to output the touch screen's video to a non-existent second display, at least under Windows. To enable dual view, multiple displays must be detected, even if the second is then powered off. If there's a workaround, I've not seen it, but maybe a virtual display adapter could trick Windows so that extended desktop could be enabled.

A future version of Windows running on both a PC and an x86 tablet with true session-sharing with the tablet locked on a second virtualized desktop (which the emulator's touch screen outputs to) seems like the ideal low-latency indirect solution.

I can dream...

Enaske

Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, absolute nice guy. Hope he move forward. Sad WII U has not any good game (for me) that is worth spend 300 buck for the Console :D

Staying with my 3DS <3

Last edited by Enaske,

Pecrow

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am really exited with all of the progress on the Wii U, wish I knew how to help (no coding knowledge of any kind) but I do want to thank everyone involved. Fascinating stuff and really good work.

Reactions: Margen67

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada

duffmmann

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ebay time! Basic, console only is under $100

Nah, I'm in no rush, my time with Splatoon and Mario Maker have definitely been worth it. When future support possibly comes out for 5.4.0 and greater I'll get excited, but for now, I'll just stick with the majority and watch on in with intrigue. Frankly backup loading is of little interest to me, its what may be done with Wii U homebrew that gets me excited, can't wait to see what may come.

Ericzander

GBAtemp's residential attorney
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
Somalia
Guys, calm down. Jeez. Give it a bit of time, I expect @Bortz will be by shortly to clean up the past two pages of pointless off-topic bickering.

Back to the actual topic, assuming that this will only work for 5.3.2 or possibly 5.4.0 systems it seems unlikely that it will work for games like Splatoon or Mario Maker but will instead only work for a 5.3.2 backlog.

Pedeadstrian

GBAtemp's Official frill-necked lizard.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good, ol' Bortz. Whenever spam and/or Dragon Quest appears, he is soon to follow.
Guys, calm down. Jeez. Give it a bit of time, I expect @Bortz will be by shortly to clean up the past two pages of pointless off-topic bickering.

Back to the actual topic, assuming that this will only work for 5.3.2 or possibly 5.4.0 systems it seems unlikely that it will work for games like Splatoon or Mario Maker but will instead only work for a 5.3.2 backlog.
Maybe at first, but once (if) this things gets further developed and then officially released, more people will work on homebrew and the like. A similar method used for playing PS3 games at lower firmwares would be nice.

Reactions: TotalInsanity4

fiveighteen

Distractible Dabbler
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

I'm pretty sure Splatoon has 5.3.2?

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Maybe we'll see a 5.4.0 port as it develops? Thats at least a possibility according to :

I didn't made cafiine, I just ported it for 5.3.2 and add a dump function. Thanks chadderz (maybe other people too i don't know) for this tool :)
And yes it's legit, i didn't show all the process because it's better with some mystery =)

I only work on 5.3.2 but wouldn't be that hard to port on other fw.

Reactions: puss2puss

TheZander

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
was the video edited after the second launch of the browser? i know golden said some stuff was cut for mystery or somwthing. but i havent seen a exploit example load without accessing the pay'oad.html then it doing something. right after running edited cafiine and hitting the browser it just blacks screen and the game loads

HomebrewEnthusiast109876

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't think any consoles this gen would get hacked without hardware like a drive emulator or flashcart. Good to see that I might be wrong. Hardware/Certain Firmware only hacks keep the community cripplingly small.
To be perfectly honest, if you told me 2 years ago I could buy a drive emulator and just not worry again I'd have just bought the freaking drive emulator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    NinStar @ NinStar: unless nintendo is going to start selling consoles at a loss that thing won't be cheap based on...