Life is Strange Remastered Collection gets new release date of February 1, 2022

header.jpg

The Life is Strange Remastered Collection has finally received a new release date. It was originally supposed to release at the end of this month, but, back in August, was delayed until "early 2022." Now, Sqaure Enix has finally nailed down that release date to February 1, 2022, when it will release on all previously-confirmed platforms: PlayStation 4, PlayStation 5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch, PC and Google Stadia. The Life is Strange Remastered Collection collects the first two games in the series, Life is Strange and Life is Strange: Before the Storm, and will remaster them for current-generation hardware.

Source: GBAtemp Inbox

James_

aka Underscore_, or 'that Meowstic guy'
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I still find it kinda funny that they're calling it a collection when there's only two games - would've made more sense to call it 'Remastered Duology' or something.

Lycan911

wolf boi
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
And still no word of LiS 2 for Switch. Weird how we're getting the original, Before the Storm and True Colors, but not 2.
A shame, since 2 is really good.

Mama Looigi

If you read this, I'm now your mother
Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Is the “Life is Strange” series any good? I have never played one of their games, is it worth getting into?
You’re gonna get people telling you 1 was the best game ever
You’re gonna get people telling you 1 sucked

You’re gonna get almost everyone telling you 2 was trash
And a handful saying it’s good

I’d say go for it if you’re into that genre

Spectro87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the “Life is Strange” series any good? I have never played one of their games, is it worth getting into?
If you don't mind laid-back games that mostly involve conversations with different characters with some light choices and exploration involved. (I mean light as not completely plot-changing, rather than the subjects being light. Some of them are not.) Then go for it.

Last edited by Spectro87,

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't mind laid-back games that mostly involve conversations with different characters with some light choices and exploration involved. (I mean light as not completely plot-changing, rather than the subjects being light. Some of them are not.) Then go for it.
Cool, sounds like an RPG without fighting.

Spectro87

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cool, sounds like an RPG without fighting.
It does kind of remind me of when you first get to a big city in an RPG and you spend a lot of time talking to all the NPCs. All of the Life is Strange games take place in present day North America, though. There is some kind of supernatural aspect to all of them. The latest one seems to have the most freedom so far.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I will take a slightly different tack to the others and ask what you came to us from before.
Did fairly recently play more than I had before, though not done the numbered sequel.

If you are coming to us from something like the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, or more modern takes (see something like Underrail, https://gbatemp.net/review/wasteland-3.1494/ ) then you probably won't get itches scratched. Those often thrive on hard choices, options to talk rather than combat all the time, broach interesting philosophical concepts and more besides. Or if that sort of thing intrigues you then head down that way as there all sorts of things there and offshoots (whether you head down the path of roguelike or non elder scrolls/bioware RPG I don't know) that might do better for you.

One above noted it as belonging to the walking simulator gameplay style, some might say genre but this would be one of the better examples of what I dislike about the term genre, and it is not inaccurate. However unlike most walking simulators this is less worldbuilding, interesting gameplay mechanics (compare this to something like the stanley parable and not even close), and you do get some reasonable character development going on. I am on record as quite liking walking simulators, however it is the passive worldbuilding, interactions, graphics, odd mechanics and more that make them and if you imagined generic PS2 era Final Fantasy clone in a bigger city map for one of those but with better graphics and no random battles then this would be that. I might almost say it is more a super streamlined (which is not necessarily a bad thing) descendent of point and click games, but those also managed to do some interesting philosophies and choices and worldbuilding for the ones people still remember today.

The setting for this is also American teen girl drama (though the third choice of northeast US as opposed to the usual primary choices of California or New York) with the aforementioned slight supernatural options (though in practice if you ever played a game with savestates then kind of that, though basic computing power says you are never going to get anything truly fun with butterfly effect or time travel). Anything being set in a school usually means an instant negative in my book (which can be alleviated but it is rare) and a significant chunk of this is school based... maybe not tanking it but does not rise above for me. That said also not a bad candidate for the idea of making a compelling story from almost anything.

I don't know that I would necessarily use it as a soft intro to either of the gameplay styles mentioned above to ease someone into things. At the same time it would not be the worst choice if attempting that either.

I doubt anybody will have it as one of their top favourist games evar, or any that do will somehow have had it as the only game they had to play at a point in life. Though pending how this collection goes I can see it being something people pick up for a collection to have into the future. Doubt it is going to be a cult classic type of game, considered any kind of ahead of its time or trailblazer either. Can't imagine it being any kind of essential playing or someone trying to pull you up for not playing it ("what you haven't played tetris/mario/2d sonic/...?") either.

Plazorn

GBAtemp’s Dragon
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I will take a slightly different tack to the others and ask what you came to us from before.
Did fairly recently play more than I had before, though not done the numbered sequel.

If you are coming to us from something like the Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Planescape Torment, or more modern takes (see something like Underrail, https://gbatemp.net/review/wasteland-3.1494/ ) then you probably won't get itches scratched. Those often thrive on hard choices, options to talk rather than combat all the time, broach interesting philosophical concepts and more besides. Or if that sort of thing intrigues you then head down that way as there all sorts of things there and offshoots (whether you head down the path of roguelike or non elder scrolls/bioware RPG I don't know) that might do better for you.

One above noted it as belonging to the walking simulator gameplay style, some might say genre but this would be one of the better examples of what I dislike about the term genre, and it is not inaccurate. However unlike most walking simulators this is less worldbuilding, interesting gameplay mechanics (compare this to something like the stanley parable and not even close), and you do get some reasonable character development going on. I am on record as quite liking walking simulators, however it is the passive worldbuilding, interactions, graphics, odd mechanics and more that make them and if you imagined generic PS2 era Final Fantasy clone in a bigger city map for one of those but with better graphics and no random battles then this would be that. I might almost say it is more a super streamlined (which is not necessarily a bad thing) descendent of point and click games, but those also managed to do some interesting philosophies and choices and worldbuilding for the ones people still remember today.

The setting for this is also American teen girl drama (though the third choice of northeast US as opposed to the usual primary choices of California or New York) with the aforementioned slight supernatural options (though in practice if you ever played a game with savestates then kind of that, though basic computing power says you are never going to get anything truly fun with butterfly effect or time travel). Anything being set in a school usually means an instant negative in my book (which can be alleviated but it is rare) and a significant chunk of this is school based... maybe not tanking it but does not rise above for me. That said also not a bad candidate for the idea of making a compelling story from almost anything.

I don't know that I would necessarily use it as a soft intro to either of the gameplay styles mentioned above to ease someone into things. At the same time it would not be the worst choice if attempting that either.

I doubt anybody will have it as one of their top favourist games evar, or any that do will somehow have had it as the only game they had to play at a point in life. Though pending how this collection goes I can see it being something people pick up for a collection to have into the future. Doubt it is going to be a cult classic type of game, considered any kind of ahead of its time or trailblazer either. Can't imagine it being any kind of essential playing or someone trying to pull you up for not playing it ("what you haven't played tetris/mario/2d sonic/...?") either.
I have played new games, and old games, RPGs, to platformers. I have enjoyed all, now I have something new to add to my list..

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over