L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

switchroot.png

L4T Ubuntu
Intro
L4T Ubuntu is a version of Linux based on nvidia's linux for tegra project. It uses a different kernel compared to previous releases which allows it to use features not yet in mainline. Such as audio, docking support and vulkan.

Join our discord: https://discord.gg/53mtKYt

We have a wiki !
To facilitate our work we will only update our wiki from now on in order to avoid multiple outdated references, please refer to the following link instead of this page

https://wiki.switchroot.org/en/Linux/Ubuntu-Install-Guide

Credits

Bylaws,
Langerhans,
Ave,
Natinusala,
CTCaer(most of the hard stuff),
Gavin_Darkglider,
DanielOgorchock(Joycon drivers/joycond),
stary2001 (reboot2payload),
NVIDIA,
Azkali
Everyone else in switchroot - more info on that in the future.

Last edited by azkali,

crabycowman123

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Maybe fellows switchers do not use linux terminology, he should use "desktop enviroment" instead.

you can install xfce4, gnome, lxde, kde and many more variations.

installed kde plasma and it wont worked for me.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

try "sudo apt install kubuntu-desktop" in a terminal window.
Does changing the setting from "Unity" to "Ubuntu" change the launcher/desktop environment? I've found that Unity, the default, does not work while Ubuntu does work. Before I stopped being able to boot, I didn't attempt to make any changes to the launcher; all I did was use Chromium.

enzobelmont

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Does changing the setting from "Unity" to "Ubuntu" change the launcher/desktop environment? I've found that Unity, the default, does not work while Ubuntu does work. Before I stopped being able to boot, I didn't attempt to make any changes to the launcher; all I did was use Chromium.
Yes you're right. the best config (for me) is xfce, it runs fast and solid in dock mode. your milleage may vary.

bylaws

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My Switch has really finicky Wifi so I've bought a USB Ethernet adapter but that doesn't seem to work. Is there anything in particular I need to install for it to work or is it just straight up a no-go?
Support is coming soon
How can I enable the openssh server to access the switch from the outside?
It's on by default
How do I replace gnome with KDE?

Note it is very buggy with touchscreen, desktop mode works fine though

The joycons are really buggy. Can't seem to get them working.
Are you using 1.1? How are they buggy

Reactions: _abysswalker_

bylaws

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ubuntu is gnome unity is unity, not sure how it got.messed up for you.
Anyone tried any android emulators? ... San Andreas...?
Most won't work as we have no 32 bit drivers.

I'm new to Linux. Is this version recommended? or is the old Linux better? Is it true that you can shorten the battery life? can you use the same micro sd where I have reinx? thanks
Can't shorten battery life, and you need a dedicated sdcard.
Is there any way to overclock the GPU?

Thanks in advance!
Read the info section of thread

iotdevnet

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Bulgaria
Support is coming soon

New kernel soon? i hope more drivers will come soon:D

I know 4k h265 is possible on switch but we need to find method how to enable some player to use hw acceleration decoding.:)

Where is the config on the bootloader ? (on grub x86 is /boot/grub/grub.cfg) I want to make it to change to boot from external SSD when we load the kernel from fat32 part on sdcard i know is possible cos when linux kernel is already loaded we just need to tell from where to load the filesystem.

Last edited by iotdevnet,

bylaws

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
New kernel soon? i hope more drivers will come soon:D

I know 4k h265 is possible on switch but we need to find method how to enable some player to use hw acceleration decoding.:)

Where is the config on the bootloader ? (on grub x86 is /boot/grub/grub.cfg) I want to make it to change to boot from external SSD when we load the kernel from fat32 part on sdcard i know is possible cos when linux kernel is already loaded we just need to tell from where to load the filesystem.
you'll need to rebuild the boot.scr with root set to something different.
Use the default video player app for video acceleration

@bylaws when I go to the top bar and click on the clock, the calendar is in Spanish when I have the language set to English
No idea, maybe it's trying to base off of location or something

@bylaws when I go to the top bar and click on the clock, the calendar is in Spanish when I have the language set to English
No idea, maybe it's trying to base off of location or something

stewacide

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Not rolling the update into the image is pretty annoying, since it requires desktop Linux to access the filesystem (unless I'm missing something?)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Mondooooo @ Mondooooo: sup guys