L4T Ubuntu - A fully featured linux on your switch

Discussion in 'Switch - Exploits, Custom Firmwares & Soft Mods' started by bylaws, Apr 28, 2019.

1. P3T3

P3T3 GBAtemp Regular

Oct 15, 2018
    United Kingdom
    I got missing dependency’s, impossible install, so looking like I need to compile arm versions!

2. tabzer

tabzer GBAtemp Fan

Feb 15, 2019
    Japan
    It's available through the software application.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

That's strange. Did it say what was missing? Did you do apt update and apt upgrade?

3. lil-devil

lil-devil GBAtemp Regular

Oct 16, 2007
    Canada
  4. EpicLPer

EpicLPer Nice unless you give me a reason to hate you ;)

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    I'll try this out, seems awesome!

5. Techjunky90

Techjunky90 GBAtemp Fan

Apr 7, 2017
    United States
    Did you try to install it through terminal first? If so you messed it up and it will not allow you to install it from the software center. I too did this and did a fresh install of l4t to fix it.

6. Waltee

Waltee Member

Newcomer
    Nov 11, 2017
    United Kingdom
    My Switch has really finicky Wifi so I've bought a USB Ethernet adapter but that doesn't seem to work. Is there anything in particular I need to install for it to work or is it just straight up a no-go?

7. EpicLPer

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    Oh wait a second... So you can't boot this thing without having a custom firmware installed first? Thought it'd launch like every other Linux for the Switch till now via RCM mode... Ah well :(

8. Snomannen_kalle

Snomannen_kalle GBAtemp Regular

Sep 2, 2018
    Norway
    What makes you say that? You don't need CFW on your Switch to launch this -- you just have to flash the image on an SD card, and then launch it through the Hekate payload

9. EpicLPer

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    Oh wait... I think I misread something then. Thought "hekate" was the name of the custom firmware, not just the payload. Whoops...
    Yeah, I haven't been following Switch hacking as much as I did 3DS and Wii U so I'm still somewhat of a noob when it comes to Switch hacking ;)

10. Snomannen_kalle

Sep 2, 2018
    Norway
    No worries, we all have to be at some point ;)

EpicLPer likes this.
  11. EpicLPer

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    Honestly a Linux noob when it comes to messing with files, their permissions and etc. Do I really have to set up a VM just to apply the update to the image or is there any other way directly under Windows?

EDIT: Scrap that, I now see how the file structure is built up. No need for any Ubuntu VM :)

Last edited by EpicLPer, May 2, 2019
  12. chaitea

chaitea Member

Newcomer
    Nov 30, 2018
    United States
    EDIT: Nevermind! Stupid issue having to do with plugging my switch into a bad USB multiport.

Last edited by chaitea, May 2, 2019
  13. stick267

stick267 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Dec 17, 2018
    United States
    You can apply the updates while Ubuntu is running right on your Switch. No need to even take the SD card out.

14. pikanag

pikanag GBAtemp Regular

Dec 10, 2013
    United States
    fuck me bro does any1 think it would be possible to play halo 2 on switch? (the protect cartographer mod).

jesus christ i'd pay somebody $100 if they could get it working well on switch

15. Ghost92

Ghost92 GBAtemp Fan

Jun 29, 2017
    Colombia
  16. recgame77

recgame77 GBAtemp Regular

Dec 25, 2015
    Cameroon
    Hi the main post says dedicated sd card, is there any stable way to use 1 (fat32) sd card to have booth homebrew + tinfoil "backups" games and l4t

17. Snomannen_kalle

Sep 2, 2018
    Norway
    Yes, when you flash the image file, you will end up with two partitions on your SD: One partition is FAT32, and is around 500MB large, and the other partition is an EXT4 partition, and is roughly 7.5GB large. After you boot L4T Ubuntu on your Switch, you can resize the FAT32 partition, and move all your homebrew and backups to that partition, and you can use it as you normally would

recgame77 likes this.
  18. Conan179

Conan179 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 21, 2015
    Germany
    How can I enable the openssh server to access the switch from the outside?

19. smf

smf GBAtemp Psycho!

Feb 23, 2009
    United Kingdom
    Nintendo switch doesn't really have custom firmware, people call it that because having custom firmware is cool. Nothing has to be installed on the switch, it's all loaded through payloads.

It's more like the old ps3 psjailbreak exploit, before ps3 got cfw.

20. EpicLPer

Mar 13, 2015
    Austria
    Austria
    Seems like the back USB port doesn't work, at least the Gigabit adapter I connected doesn't seem to be recognized there. Only on the "front" USB ports.

Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted