Gaming Korg DS-10

terminator99

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
KORG DS is top!

There is a link in my signature for my first attempt at making a tune, its kinda HARDCORE/Techno. Tell me what you think!
unsure.gif

crowcity

Trophies
XP
Country
test84 said:
evoo1 said:
test84 said:
evoo1 said:
test84 said:
cool, Do you have any instrument files for chiptune making?

oh through the years I tink i have brought together a quite complete collection of samples and the like, though the journey of assembling these gems is never over
wink.gif

oh, do you have any idea where I can get some simple instruments?

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Sound_samples

you can find plenty of that there, just be patient when trying them all out
wink.gif

Thanks but the samples was not what I actually meant, what I meant was instruments, like regular instruments that they use on chip tracks and are not .wav based.
(i.e. normal instruments)
Basically there are two types of instruments, sample based (which uses wav files) and "another", I'm after this "another".

maybe this'll do the job. i've used it for years and it's great. you basically build your own analogue synth out of bits http://www.syntiac.com/synfactory_download.html

you need to download v1.16rc1

AerosolSP

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm moderately capable with synthesizers, but when it comes to synthesizing specific things, I get caught up. The VST plugins I've seen so far don't really help, cause they have a bunch of options on them that DS-10 doesn't.

test84

GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
AeoroslSP welcome to the boards (you into Graffiti? :fear:)
Could you point out some tutorials to understand basics of synths? whatever I find is defining whats Sine wave and else but whenever I get to use one actually, its far different from tutorials and I cant get what I have in mind and don't want to toy around with the knobs.

trebulator

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
WildWon said:
trebulator said:
Does anybody else have problems with this game on a Supercard DS One? It shows the icon on the ROM selector, but once I select it to boot, it does a white screen for a split second, then black screen, which it stays on. I've also tried without patching, a ROM from two different sources, formatting my card, and updating my firmware, and still nothing.

Haven't tried it myself, but if i have time tonight, i'll toss it onto the Wife®'s SC-DS1 and see if i can get anything working. If i can do it, i'll let you know tomorrow. (if someone else does it first, cool, as well
wink.gif
)
Sweet, thanks!
biggrin.gif

Doomsday Forte

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States

concealed identi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
My only issue with this program is that you can only make 16 patterns, and each pattern can only be 16 steps, making it really hard to make a song that isn't incredibly simple, as I use at least 4 of those 16 patterns just to make a basic melody.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to increase the steps of a pattern past 16 or save more than 16 patterns per song? It just feels INCREDIBLY limited.

Exilus

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada

crowcity

Trophies
XP
Country
concealed identity said:
My only issue with this program is that you can only make 16 patterns, and each pattern can only be 16 steps, making it really hard to make a song that isn't incredibly simple, as I use at least 4 of those 16 patterns just to make a basic melody.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to increase the steps of a pattern past 16 or save more than 16 patterns per song? It just feels INCREDIBLY limited.

I do kind of know what you mean. But to really open it up (I'm no expert though!) you can set a sound and then play it live in the kaoss pad bit, trying different shapes and movements with the stylus, so it doesn't need to conform to any beat of any kind, and is kind of infinite in application. Maybe with something more repetitive going on in the background. I have a really similar set-up with my hardware kit (Korg EA-1 dual oscillator analogue mimicking synth running through a kaoss pad) and can't imagine running through all the possible iterations in my lifetime.

WildWon

EXTERMINATE!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
concealed identity said:

No, its "only" 16 patterns... but really, if you're looking at a standard music track, you have 3 patterns that are regularly played. A (verse), B (chorus) and C (bridge). And they're a standard layout is A, B, A, B, C, B, B. Now, thats a REALLY basic layout... but you have 16 possibilities to throw in. And this isn't a full blown track creation system... its a track creation system using only a synth. There's not even a (native
wink.gif
) way to import your own samples (that i'm aware of, anyway), so it's "limited" there too (except for the all the possibilities w/ effects on notes, creating other sounds as you wish).

So, in comparison to other programs (such as Fruity Loops), there IS limitations... but there are so many other features on here (Kaosilator for the win, Bitches! w00t!), the lack of more patterns isn't really a huge thing. I mean, for me, that is.

And i'm also sure the 16 pattern limit is due to it fitting on a DS cart.

concealed identi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
WildWon said:
concealed identity said:

No, its "only" 16 patterns... but really, if you're looking at a standard music track, you have 3 patterns that are regularly played. A (verse), B (chorus) and C (bridge). And they're a standard layout is A, B, A, B, C, B, B. Now, thats a REALLY basic layout... but you have 16 possibilities to throw in. And this isn't a full blown track creation system... its a track creation system using only a synth. There's not even a (native
wink.gif
) way to import your own samples (that i'm aware of, anyway), so it's "limited" there too (except for the all the possibilities w/ effects on notes, creating other sounds as you wish).

So, in comparison to other programs (such as Fruity Loops), there IS limitations... but there are so many other features on here (Kaosilator for the win, Bitches! w00t!), the lack of more patterns isn't really a huge thing. I mean, for me, that is.

And i'm also sure the 16 pattern limit is due to it fitting on a DS cart.

Am I missing something? A standard music track is just verse/chorus/bridge, but in this program, a pattern is only 16 steps. That's only a few seconds. So, if I want to write a melody, I'm going to use AT LEAST two of those, but most likely 4-8.

That's what I don't get. I mean, I've used synths that were limited like this, but they were all synths that you would use with other hardware in which you could record your patterns, record them, and then make new patterns in those slots.

So is there a way to make the patterns more than a few seconds long, other than halving the BPM (which would then halve the number of steps you can use in the sequencer)?

Like I said, I feel like I'm missing something. I'm not talking about Fruityloops/Cubase/Reason/Logic/Sonar/whatever DAW level here, just being able to make more than 16 3-second patterns for a song. I know it has nothing to do with the DS cartridge size, considering a program like LSDJ is 200K and can save a massive number of patterns.

One other question though, I noticed in the first demo song that some automations are running on the same pattern, even though that pattern is just being looped. For example, Pattern 1 plays 4 times, but the filter cutoff frequency is rising throughout those 4 times. How is this done? If I edit an automation or use the Kaoss Pad, it just saves it once as that pattern. How do I affect these things across the whole tune?

Thanks in advance, guys. I've used synths before, but as a program I can't wrap my head around how to arrange things properly in this thing. But I feel like I'm missing something, as if this was really an issue, I wouldn't be the only one to notice it.

Batman55

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Someone on Youtube recreated Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley, and its pretty long and it sounds close to the real thing.

jacensday

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It just uses a standard 512KB save file for all your songs. It doesn't mix down the audio or anything, it just saves the settings and sequencing.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    I haven't been gaming for such a long time. Been mostly busy with sleep, hardware tinkering and checking GBAtemp frequently.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Hope you've had a good morning.
  • Maximumbeans @ Maximumbeans:
    It's going alright thanks :) I know what you mean with gaming time. It's precious where I can get it these days.
    +1
    I think that's why I focus on just enjoying single player experiences that aren't too competitive
    How are you doing?
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    There's also this thing where I'm hyperfocused at night and cannot get to sleep.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I'm doing alright, thanks.
    +1
    That must be rough. Productive I'm sure but hard to balance with daily life
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Indeed. I've been working on getting this Infecutus chip to work on my PS2. But after soldering, I realised that a plastic piece was missing from the power ribbon cable to the power and eject buttons.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Now I could go with soldering the contacts from the cable to the connector on the mobo, but doesn't sound like a good permanent solution.
    Man, that's beyond my brain :rofl: I'm no good with hardware for now. I'd like to get into hardmods in future though
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Maybe start practice soldering. Get a cheap-ass soldering iron and follow some good YouTube tutorials.
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Least my experience has gotten better than over a decade ago. My iron would constantly bump into components and break them.
    Sounds good. I actually did soldering but like 16 years ago for school so uuuuh probably rusty haha
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, Same here. I did soldering at school from a teacher who I honestly liked since he had plenty of good electronics experience.
    +1
    I wish I could play chess well
    +1
    Useless but a true art
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @Maximumbeans, I had a friend who had a glass chess set for their birthday.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    It was like all clear and fancy. Tbf I'm not too experienced with chess, but would like to learn someday.
    That sounds really cool
    I know the basics but no strategy at all :rofl:
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Watch chess streamers on Twitch and you'll pick up a thing or two.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.
    Veho @ Veho: Not to mention there's an infinite number of chess games for every possible platform.