Korg DS-10

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by Jhongerkong, Jun 16, 2008.

1. terminator99

terminator99 GBAtemp Regular

Jan 13, 2007
    Widnes,Cheshire.
    KORG DS is top!

There is a link in my signature for my first attempt at making a tune, its kinda HARDCORE/Techno. Tell me what you think! [​IMG]

2. crowcity

crowcity Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2007
  3. crowcity

crowcity Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2007

maybe this'll do the job. i've used it for years and it's great. you basically build your own analogue synth out of bits http://www.syntiac.com/synfactory_download.html

you need to download v1.16rc1

4. Batman55

Batman55 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 21, 2007
    Canada
    I'm surprised at how small the game is!

5. Twiffles

Twiffles танковые победы

Sep 6, 2007
    Gambia, The
  6. AerosolSP

AerosolSP Member

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2008
    United States
    I'm moderately capable with synthesizers, but when it comes to synthesizing specific things, I get caught up. The VST plugins I've seen so far don't really help, cause they have a bunch of options on them that DS-10 doesn't.

7. test84

test84 GBAtemp's last ninja 2.

Sep 8, 2006
    Iran
    Iran, Tehran.
    AeoroslSP welcome to the boards (you into Graffiti? :fear:)
    Could you point out some tutorials to understand basics of synths? whatever I find is defining whats Sine wave and else but whenever I get to use one actually, its far different from tutorials and I cant get what I have in mind and don't want to toy around with the knobs.

8. Twiffles

Twiffles танковые победы

Sep 6, 2007
    Gambia, The
    Because I'm incompetent, is there a tutorial on how to use it properly? >_>

9. kennypu

kennypu GBAtemp Fan

May 23, 2008
    United States
  10. trebulator

trebulator Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Nov 27, 2006
    United States
    Knoxville
    Sweet, thanks! [​IMG]

11. Doomsday Forte

Doomsday Forte GBAtemp Maniac

Apr 22, 2007
    United States
  12. concealed identi

concealed identi GBAtemp Fan

May 16, 2008
    My only issue with this program is that you can only make 16 patterns, and each pattern can only be 16 steps, making it really hard to make a song that isn't incredibly simple, as I use at least 4 of those 16 patterns just to make a basic melody.

Am I missing something? Is there a way to increase the steps of a pattern past 16 or save more than 16 patterns per song? It just feels INCREDIBLY limited.

13. Exilus

Exilus Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 29, 2008
    Canada
  14. crowcity

crowcity Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 13, 2007
    I do kind of know what you mean. But to really open it up (I'm no expert though!) you can set a sound and then play it live in the kaoss pad bit, trying different shapes and movements with the stylus, so it doesn't need to conform to any beat of any kind, and is kind of infinite in application. Maybe with something more repetitive going on in the background. I have a really similar set-up with my hardware kit (Korg EA-1 dual oscillator analogue mimicking synth running through a kaoss pad) and can't imagine running through all the possible iterations in my lifetime.

15. WildWon

WildWon EXTERMINATE!

Former Staff
    Apr 4, 2008
    United States
    8-Bit Heaven
    No, its "only" 16 patterns... but really, if you're looking at a standard music track, you have 3 patterns that are regularly played. A (verse), B (chorus) and C (bridge). And they're a standard layout is A, B, A, B, C, B, B. Now, thats a REALLY basic layout... but you have 16 possibilities to throw in. And this isn't a full blown track creation system... its a track creation system using only a synth. There's not even a (native [​IMG]) way to import your own samples (that i'm aware of, anyway), so it's "limited" there too (except for the all the possibilities w/ effects on notes, creating other sounds as you wish).

So, in comparison to other programs (such as Fruity Loops), there IS limitations... but there are so many other features on here (Kaosilator for the win, Bitches! w00t!), the lack of more patterns isn't really a huge thing. I mean, for me, that is.

And i'm also sure the 16 pattern limit is due to it fitting on a DS cart.

16. concealed identi

concealed identi GBAtemp Fan

May 16, 2008

Am I missing something? A standard music track is just verse/chorus/bridge, but in this program, a pattern is only 16 steps. That's only a few seconds. So, if I want to write a melody, I'm going to use AT LEAST two of those, but most likely 4-8.

That's what I don't get. I mean, I've used synths that were limited like this, but they were all synths that you would use with other hardware in which you could record your patterns, record them, and then make new patterns in those slots.

So is there a way to make the patterns more than a few seconds long, other than halving the BPM (which would then halve the number of steps you can use in the sequencer)?

Like I said, I feel like I'm missing something. I'm not talking about Fruityloops/Cubase/Reason/Logic/Sonar/whatever DAW level here, just being able to make more than 16 3-second patterns for a song. I know it has nothing to do with the DS cartridge size, considering a program like LSDJ is 200K and can save a massive number of patterns.

One other question though, I noticed in the first demo song that some automations are running on the same pattern, even though that pattern is just being looped. For example, Pattern 1 plays 4 times, but the filter cutoff frequency is rising throughout those 4 times. How is this done? If I edit an automation or use the Kaoss Pad, it just saves it once as that pattern. How do I affect these things across the whole tune?

Thanks in advance, guys. I've used synths before, but as a program I can't wrap my head around how to arrange things properly in this thing. But I feel like I'm missing something, as if this was really an issue, I wouldn't be the only one to notice it.

17. Batman55

Batman55 GBAtemp Fan

Oct 21, 2007
    Canada
    Someone on Youtube recreated Never Gonna Give You Up by Rick Astley, and its pretty long and it sounds close to the real thing.

18. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    how much free memory should one have for this game? i know the game is only 8MB but how much space is require to make songs?

19. jacensday

jacensday Member

Newcomer
    Jun 18, 2008
    United States
    It just uses a standard 512KB save file for all your songs. It doesn't mix down the audio or anything, it just saves the settings and sequencing.

20. nando

nando GBAtemp Addict

Jan 1, 2008
    United States
    that's good to know cause my card is loaded.