JXD S7800? Seems like a pretty obscure device.

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah the new 2.0 firmware hasnt fixed the slight issues I have so im going to roll back his previous for now lol

Ugh...really? You mean with HDMI output not being smooth? Damn, I just deleted the old firmware from my HDD and have part of the 2.0 FW downloaded so far. :huh: Can I still use it since I don't plan on using HDMI out, or will every app have the screen tearing/lower FPS issues?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Ugh...really? You mean with HDMI output not being smooth? Damn, I just deleted the old firmware from my HDD and have part of the 2.0 FW downloaded so far. :huh: Can I still use it since I don't plan on using HDMI out, or will every app have the screen tearing/lower FPS issues?

Oh yeah if you have no intention of not using HDMI then the new firmware is the way to go as Im told it fixes a couple of video playback issues (Ive never used mine to play videos so I wouldnt know what they were)

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Oh yeah if you have no intention of not using HDMI then the new firmware is the way to go as Im told it fixes a couple of video playback issues (Ive never used mine to play videos so I wouldnt know what they were)

Oh good, as it's almost halfway done downloading, the only thing I have hooked up in HDMI is my Wii U, to my PC monitor (and it looks nice too) :D I hope that he gets more credit for at least trying his darnedest to do what JDX refuses to do ;)

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh good, as it's almost halfway done downloading, the only thing I have hooked up in HDMI is my Wii U, to my PC monitor (and it looks nice too) :D I hope that he gets more credit for at least trying his darnedest to do what JDX refuses to do ;)

I really wanted to use the HDMI from this device. But the problem seems to be that when you plug a HDMI cable in, i cuts the performance in half. So frame rates drop both on the tablet screen and the TC screen, making it pretty much worthless. Problem is its not a performance issue, its a driver issue somewhere along the lines and Webclaw I believe thought he had solved it.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I really wanted to use the HDMI from this device. But the problem seems to be that when you plug a HDMI cable in, i cuts the performance in half. So frame rates drop both on the tablet screen and the TC screen, making it pretty much worthless. Problem is its not a performance issue, its a driver issue somewhere along the lines and Webclaw I believe thought he had solved it.

Are you saying that something like that will never be resolved? I hope that he doesn't get discouraged and decide to ragequit. Anyways, hope I didn't add salt to the wound.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Are you saying that something like that will never be resolved? I hope that he doesn't get discouraged and decide to ragequit.

I think it probably can as it is improved somewhat. Whereas before it was maxing out at about 40 fps over HDMI, now its between 44-52. So its faster, but fluctuating more often.

Cortador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly SuperGNES (apart from the nice interface with the boxarts) really isn't very good. You should at least try the one we mentioned in Snes9x Ex+ (its free on the store anyway) it really is THE best emulator, and by some margin. Its pretty much 100 percent perfect emulation.

Personally i prefer Bsnes on retroarch. Such perfection.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Personally i prefer Bsnes on retroarch. Such perfection.

Not on mobile devices, ain't gonna happen on Android, it was written for x86 CPUs and Android typically uses ARM, so the code would have to be ported over to ARM :PI don't think it's on Android OS would be able to handle it without sacrificing speed. Snes9x EX+/Next is the second most accurate Snes emulator but the best for mobile. TBH, there are only a few games that can't run that do on Bsnes/Higan. To each their own :D But yeah, he was referring to Android Snes emulation, Bsnes isn't on Google Play AFAIK ;)

But there is Version 2 of the firmware up now so will try again!

Let me know how it goes :D

Cortador

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not on mobile devices, ain't gonna happen on Android, it was written for x86 CPUs and Android typically uses ARM, so the code would have to be ported over to ARM :PI don't think it's on Android OS would be able to handle it without sacrificing speed. Snes9x EX+/Next is the second most accurate Snes emulator but the best for mobile. TBH, there are only a few games that can't run that do on Bsnes/Higan. To each their own :D But yeah, he was referring to Android Snes emulation, Bsnes isn't on Google Play AFAIK ;)

Let me know how it goes :D

Well believe me, it is there. http://libretro.wordpress.com/2013/08/14/retroarch-android-0-9-9-5/
Read the first few paragraphs.

For Gba I recommend VGBA. Imo it is the best gba emulator. You can trade (Upload or download) save files with a database that the emulator has. It also has built in cheat codes for a lot of the Gba games and it is still being updated with new games being supported.

For n64 I recommend Mupen 64 plus free. Just make sure to use Rice gfx plugin and the majority of the games should work just fine even with upscaling textures and what not.

For nes, retroarch

Same for Mega Drive.

The rest you pretty much have the best imo.

Reactions: the_randomizer

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well believe me, it is there. http://libretro.wordpress.com/2013/08/14/retroarch-android-0-9-9-5/
Read the first few paragraphs.

For Gba I recommend VGBA. Imo it is the best gba emulator. You can trade (Upload or download) save files with a database that the emulator has. It also has built in cheat codes for a lot of the Gba games and it is still being updated with new games being supported.

For n64 I recommend Mupen 64 plus free. Just make sure to use Rice gfx plugin and the majority of the games should work just fine even with upscaling textures and what not.

For nes, retroarch

Same for Mega Drive.

The rest you pretty much have the best imo.

Well I'll be damned, I haven't been following the Android emulation scene for that long, like, at all. I don't know if the S7800 can run Bsnes performance core, but it might be able to do. Anyways, I have my preference to Snes9x mostly due to the GUI and how ROMs are loaded, Bsnes' GUI is not my cup of tea, and when it comes to how well games run, there isn't as much of a difference as there used to, at least, from what I can tell. But for sure, RetroArch is good for most emulators on Android :P I know Bsnes runs good on the Shield from what I'm reading, but other devices, not too sure, the JXD S7800 has a 1.6 GHz Cortex A9 CPU, quad core, not sure how that'll fare for Bsnes ;)

It also seems to be harder on the battery using that core, the S7800's battery is meh at best. Yeah, again, to each their own, there isn't a terribly large amount I'm missing by not using said core.

kristianity77 how's the firmware now?

Reactions: Cortador

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Well I'll be damned, I haven't been following the Android emulation scene for that long, like, at all. I don't know if the S7800 can run Bsnes performance core, but it might be able to do. Anyways, I have my preference to Snes9x mostly due to the GUI and how ROMs are loaded, Bsnes' GUI is not my cup of tea, and when it comes to how well games run, there isn't as much of a difference as there used to, at least, from what I can tell. But for sure, RetroArch is good for most emulators on Android :P I know Bsnes runs good on the Shield from what I'm reading, but other devices, not too sure, the JXD S7800 has a 1.6 GHz Cortex A9 CPU, quad core, not sure how that'll fare for Bsnes ;)

It also seems to be harder on the battery using that core, the S7800's battery is meh at best. Yeah, again, to each their own, there isn't a terribly large amount I'm missing by not using said core.

kristianity77 how's the firmware now?

Just loading it on now, should be about another 10 minutes and ill know if its worked how it should or not:lol:

Reactions: the_randomizer

XDel

Author of Alien Breed: Projekt Odamex
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No dice! Its still funky over HDMI. I think HDMI is just doomed on this device. For videos and stuff over HDMI its fine as im pretty sure they only play at 24FPS anyway. But games and emus that run over the full 60fps, just run too slow or very jumpy.

So perhaps if the emulators them selves could be updated to have a frame limit option?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
So perhaps if the emulators them selves could be updated to have a frame limit option?

There is an issue on the device where when plugged into HDMI, its almost like the refresh rate drops from 60hz to around 40hz. Doesn't matter whether its emulation, just flicking through android screens or anything. Here is a video of the HDMI problem that i made a few weeks back

You can see it running totally full speed, but it just slows right down the moment a HDMI cable is plugged in

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is an issue on the device where when plugged into HDMI, its almost like the refresh rate drops from 60hz to around 40hz. Doesn't matter whether its emulation, just flicking through android screens or anything. Here is a video of the HDMI problem that i made a few weeks back

You can see it running totally full speed, but it just slows right down the moment a HDMI cable is plugged in

Damn. It's a driver issue I'm sure, the hardware itself is fine, who knows if that can ever be fixed :unsure: It's clearly not meant to be used with hi res and HDMI at the same time for some odd reason.

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Damn. It's a driver issue I'm sure, the hardware itself is fine, who knows if that can ever be fixed :unsure: It's clearly not meant to be used with hi res and HDMI at the same time for some odd reason.

Its definitely not a perfomance issue its impossible. You can underclock the device down to 500mhz and run a gameboy emulator on the tablet, and get a fluid 60fps. You can then plug the HDMI cable in and get the drop to 40fps. All at 500mhz.

If you then put it back up to 1.6ghz, you get no perfomance gain whatsoever. So it cant be a bottleneck anywhere as surely you'd see a difference once you trebled the CPU speed.

the_randomizer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Its definitely not a perfomance issue its impossible. You can underclock the device down to 500mhz and run a gameboy emulator on the tablet, and get a fluid 60fps. You can then plug the HDMI cable in and get the drop to 40fps. All at 500mhz.

If you then put it back up to 1.6ghz, you get no perfomance gain whatsoever. So it cant be a bottleneck anywhere as surely you'd see a difference once you trebled the CPU speed.

Right, so we can rule out the hardware, it sounds like a screwy GPU driver or something, I've never heard of that happening; I just hope the Dingoonity guys can figure something out :P Does WebClaw know this version doesn't work either?

kristianity77

GBATemp old fogey
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Right, so we can rule out the hardware, it sounds like a screwy GPU driver or something, I've never heard of that happening; I just hope the Dingoonity guys can figure something out :P Does WebClaw know this version doesn't work either?

Yeah im currently downloading a version 3 to test :lol:

I dont even know why im bothering as I likely wont ever use HDMI, but its just annoying isnt it when you know something should work and doesn't, even if its something you'll never use lol

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Why does Psi have PMS?