ROM Hack Jump Ulimate Stars Translation Project

wuka

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
beautifulbeast/p1noypr1de: title.bin #40 has some corruption that you guys might want to delete quickly. Actually, it looks like UTF-8 JASCII that just looks like corrupted crap in SJIS.

Devante

Crescent fresh at best.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
About the translated move names; what's the point of translating everything else?

I don't know Japanese, as most of the people here don't.
"Genki Dama" sounds just as jibberish as [insert random Japanese kanji here].

I hate when English fighting games use Japanese names for the moves. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of translating a game?

Just my opinion.
And I'm excited about this project guys!

D

Deleted User

I'm not really interested by this project because of other matters right now, but if you have some trouble figuring somethings and want me to try to dig it up a bit, you can always PM me.

I'm not telling that I'm better than you, just that my work on phoenix had made me a bit more experienced.

beautifulbeast

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
@Devante: Hey, your opinion is welcome! (even if not shared by many
biggrin.gif
).

@deufeufeu: Thanks for droping by. I had never heard of your project before, maybe you would like to share your experience and post telling us how it was: did you create a webapp like us at crisistunity.com/justp/, did you do it all on your own or you had different jobs assigned to different people like hackers, translators, cleaners, how long did it take you, was it worth it, how did you make you work available to others, etc...?

mrgodai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
maybe i don't remember correctly, but isnt there a spanish translation patch?

if so, why not include the Spanish version next to the japanese version online? that would increase the chance of people helping to translate this game to English.

Xeijin

Trophies
Website
www.xeijin.org
XP
Country
Perhaps change the no. of decimal places shown for the percentage indicator? It looks a bit strange.

*sigh* wish I knew japanese, this looks like an awesome project. Good Luck guys can't wait for this to be finished!

I'm also handy with photoshop so if you need any graphics made just holler at me
smile.gif

beautifulbeast

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
First, thanks to all those offering for help: you are all welcome although right now we only need translators (there could be something for Photoshoppers in the near future though, Xeijin).

About that error in titles.bin #40, I think it's already been fixed.

I hope you guys are enjoying your weekend, or should I say Pokè-weekend for most
wink.gif
?

Update: Just realized tutorial0.bin is completely translated now (103% actually, wonder how that happened...)

NemesisHunter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Later on, it might be worthwhile to retranscribe the translations into correct English syntaxes. This game allows japanese kanji excessive use of the Exclamation Mark (!). However, English uses it more discreetly. Take for example the tutorial0.bin file. There are many places where the (!) can be replaced with a simple period (.) so as not to exaggerate the structure of the sentence once translated. Even though our main objective right now is to convert japanese kanji into english, a later phase would also to take into account the meaning of the sentence as well as the correct punctuations to use in certain circumstances (no need to put a (!) at the end of each statement, for example), since after all, you need to understand the context of the japanese statement in order to give an accurate rendition of it in English (a literal direct translation from japanese to english doesn't work too well, the same way French sentence structures don't flow with english translations and vice-versa). I can testify this because I'm bilingual.

silvershadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
FAST6191 is the man. If he says you can use super and sub script and all kinds of format and insert phrases as long as we want, then let's do so. I guess this means p1noypr1de's idea that we use the super-sub format like this:

Genki Dama
Spirit Bomb

is the way to go and everyone's happy now with the original and translated names available. Cool.

friday, p1noypr1de was saying that the game already is like that...

when we were playing the game, he showed me, it already looked like that, except it wasnt the english alphabet.

but its cool that we can actually change the font to whatever we like.

p1noypr1de

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I think maybe some "rules" must be set...and perhaps posted on the translation site itself to remind the translators/correctors/director =)

It would make it a lot easier for the people correcting it (and director in the future)...and it would also make the translations much more consistent.
happy.gif
(...especially regarding the techniques and stuff)

sumedho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I'm just wondering for the tutorials...maybe its better just to re-write them from scratch rather than try and translate them. Once the sentence stems are put together they probably will sound pretty strange (like a translation prog). The tutorials are pretty simple...how to guard...how to do different moves...maybe its easier to write them out in english.

KLAM

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Cote d'Ivoire
hi everyone, excellent project u have running here.

I was wondering if u could add something to the translation site, it's not vital, but maybe it would be cool.
The idea is: would it be possible to add a general progress bar but instead of going sideways like this "1%-------------100%"
it could go like this

100%
|
|
|
|
|
|
|
1%

if it isnt possible to do it verticaly maybe u could still consider doing it horizontaly.

bye for now.

Keep up the great work!

sumedho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Rules would be very helpful. It would make it much easier to decide how to go about translating some of the stuff. p1noypr1de if you want to make some general rules about how to translate then feel free. Some of the stuff I've been thinking about:

1. Some western names have been turned into katakana. Should they be changed back to western names?

2. Should the names of various moves not be translated, just changed to romanji?

3. Should the names of some characters be translated e.g. キン肉マン=Muscle Man in english or left as Kinnuku Man?

4. If dialog has strong language in japanese, (f**k you in japanese) should it be translated as such into english?

beautifulbeast

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Sumedho has just raised some interesting points that we should discuss, and it would be great if all translators, bug and small, could join the discussion:
my word is:
· Yes on foul words for different reasons like being true to the original and because it sounds much better.
· Names of moves, we already decided on using the double format:

Original
Translated

· Names of characters should be translated to their English form when available (in some cases we will need to ask fans of that series or use Wikipedia).
· And finally, but most important: What do you guys say about doing a free translation that sounds better instead of translating phrase-by-phrase? I wonder how I didn't think of this myself being a translator English to Spanish. Does the translation sound weird so far?

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
My opinion on translation often finds me at odds with some anime/manga fans in that I prefer localisation to pure translation and extensive romanisation (death god over shinigami and so on, lines are somewhat blurred nowadays as I find shuriken and katana are practically in the dictionary (certainly intended audience and I would not wager money against man on the street)).
Coupled with this I find the use of kun, san, sama..... fairly unnecessary and the chances are if something says sake I will probably call it alcohol unless it explicitly refers to rice wine/beer.

However this is an anime/manga game (one of the reasons I am loathe to try my hand at translation here) so I suggest going with the names given in the most popular translations (I am thinking fansub/scanlate rather than 4kids): the characters given for vegeta come out as fegeta if I recall.

If we are to use romanisation it will probably happen anyway but hepburn works for me.

Oh and with regard to the help files I am all for a rewrite, deciding what to put in may prove an issue (do we do it FAQ/guide style and have everything or mimic the current standard and have basics but nothing more).

With regard to expletives I am not bothered myself but I have seen stuff with inordinate amounts added in "for effect" which I do not see the need for, consider also that Japanese censors seem somewhat nonplaussed by violence but swears are a different story (pretty much the opposite of what exists around here).

Still this is just my opinion and I here more for the hacking side of things.

p1noypr1de

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
· Yes on foul words for different reasons like being true to the original and because it sounds much better.
I agree. Just a reminder not to go overboard XD
QUOTE said:
· Names of moves, we already decided on using the double format:

Original
Translated
And I've only seen this appear in the chr_b_t.bin and chr_s_t.bin.
The move names usually appear in 2s:

-??????????
-some lines in between
-?????????

The one written in kana/kanji will become the romanized Japanese name. The one written in purely hiragana will be the translated name. Some phrases(not necessarily move names) also use this (???????????????).

But I was wondering what to use (romanized/translated) for those phrases that use those moves. For example, in this particular phrase from "Naruto":
?????????????????????????????????????

Do we use the words "Kage Bunshin/Rasengan" or "Shadow Clones/Spiralling Sphere"? I understand using "Rasengan", but the words "shadow clone" and "kage bunshin" are equally famous among the viewers of the show.

QUOTE said:
· And finally, but most important: What do you guys say about doing a free translation that sounds better instead of translating phrase-by-phrase? I wonder how I didn't think of this myself being a translator English to Spanish. Does the translation sound weird so far?
I don't mind doing that.

EDIT:
QUOTECoupled with this I find the use of kun, san, sama..... fairly unnecessary and the chances are if something says sake I will probably call it alcohol unless it explicitly refers to rice wine/beer.
True, especially on a game like this which isn't heavily story-driven at all. That would only be useful if the story is necessary, as well as the relationship between characters (with use of kun, chan, san, sama, etc.)

With regard to expletives I am not bothered myself but I have seen stuff with inordinate amounts added in "for effect" which I do not see the need for, consider also that Japanese censors seem somewhat nonplaussed by violence but swears are a different story (pretty much the opposite of what exists around here).
Well, the idea of "expletives" doesn't really exist in japanese culture, that's why they have it even in Pokemon :wtf:

beautifulbeast

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
Do we use the words "Kage Bunshin/Rasengan" or "Shadow Clones/Spiralling Sphere"? I understand using "Rasengan", but the words "shadow clone" and "kage bunshin" are equally famous among the viewers of the show.
My vote goes for keeping the original names like Rasengan and Kage bunshin because that's how I'm used to see the show, but I'd like to hear the opinion of more people. Same goes for kun/san/sama: I've grown acustomed to it and I find it helps you keep track of the relations between characters and how they address each other, but I wouldn't mind seeing they gone as much as I would with special moves names. Anyway, we need to reacha consensous in this and I would expect that to happen in the next day or two, so let's hear what people think.
QUOTEWell, the idea of "expletives" doesn't really exist in japanese culture, that's why they have it even in Pokemon :wtf:
ohmy.gif
I'd love to see an episode of Pokèmon with foul words.
@p1noypr1de: You say you could rewrite some parts or files to make them sound better. Wich files do you think need rewriting and how would you like to do it: using the webapp like until now or ina text file in your own computer?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: [goes back to 🛌 ] zzzzzzzzzzzzzz +1