ROM Hack Jump Ulimate Stars Translation Project

NemesisHunter

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Also, beautifulbeast, if you can implement some kind of activation process, so we don't just blindly list a bunch of jerks who are willing to screw up the translation process. If we can manually select those who have signed up for the position, it'd be more secure.

Secondly, a periodic backup of the server translations would be useful in case some kind of hacker/nOOb decides to mess with the server. We'd have protected our files from destruction if a backup process were to be implemented.

superkrm

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
put a post on mangahelpers.com
there are many translators each doing their favorite manga for free.

and most of the manga there is in shonen jump

i put in a request for ya

i soooooo want to play this in english. Why did i quit japanese in college?!
cry.gif

Mewgia

drifter
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I second NemesisHunter's and superkrm's recommendations.
The text files aren't too big, so backing the text up to even a small hard drive like mine (which I would swiftly transfer onto my 300GB ehd) would be no problem.
But since it is your website, Beautifulbeast, you should definitely back it up anyway.

silvershadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
check out chr_b_t.bin ..its comming along nicely.

on http://crisistunity.com/justp/

thanks p1noypr1de.

btw..i think that site needs one small feature added in..

the option to edit or delete ur own translations, cause sometimes there are spelling mistakes because it was typed to fast.

btw, i wanted to know, after this translation is done, is there anymore that needs to be done for the game to be patched? or is this all that is left, and everything else is already figured out?

p1noypr1de

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Yes, a feature to edit/delete your own translations would be great :wtf:
...There's a couple of lines/translations in there I realized don't flow at all..and needs to be fixed

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I've done a bunch of Naruto translations, some Bleach and some Yuria Type 100(seinen manga).
I swear you better finish that Yuria Type 100 manga one day. IT'S LIKE CHOBITS GONE HAWT

beautifulbeast: That's the harsh reality of fansubbing. You'll get some that are doing it just because they want the glory and they want to be the only one that's subbing the show. It's also annoying that there will be as many as 5 fansubbing groups all subbing the same show and leaving the rest of the unknown series unsubbed. But hey, congrats on getting the site done and also on your job interview

sumedho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I can help out with a bit of the translation if you want. I know a reasonable amount of japanese (lived there for a while). PM me or email me.

Cheers
smile.gif

silvershadow

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Whoa things are moving on, guess this is my cue to get off my backside and put a bunch of that into a demo.

yahhh man, lets see a small demo
smile.gif
...if its not hard, if it takes too long, then dont do it, but its probably better to do it to just MAKE SURE it works, before all the effort is waisted (or was this already tested to make sure it WILL work, and all thats left is translations?)

ill test with R4
smile.gif
..lol

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Demo translation later (I am looking at a partially translated music menu as I am typing this).

Just thought I would detail the pointer system to save anyone who wants to have a go at insertion, I was correct in my initial attempts deciphering it and it goes as follows:
Each pointer value in the initial table is out by 4 multipled by the section you are dealing with (i.e. the first is out by 4 the second by 8 and so on) so to repoint you take the offset the section you are working with and deduct 4 multiplied by the number of sections in you are.

An example from pname.bin should serve here:
Code:
pointer |map    diff   Â|actual   Âdiff  Âmap act diff between map and actual
1 Â Â Â |0164 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â|0168 Â Â Â Â Â Â Â Â4
2    |016b    7    Â|0173    11    8
3    |0172    7    Â|017e    11    12
4 Â Â Â |0179 Â Â Â 7 Â Â Â Â|0189 Â Â Â 11 Â Â Â 16
5 Â Â Â |0180 Â Â Â 7 Â Â Â Â|0194 Â Â Â 11 Â Â Â 20
6    |018b    11    |01a3    15    24

beautifulbeast

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Update: Wow, I'm happy to see the thread so alive!
Well, time to clarify some things, maybe I should have done it before:

1. Who can become a translator? Anyone who wants to collaborate in the project and has a knowledge of Japanes and English can. Just signup with username and password.
2. You often use the word "Evangelism", what does that mean? Well, now you've heard the divine words it's up to you to tell others who can help translating the text. Are you a member in a forum used by translators or fansubbers? Then post explaining them about this project. Just be nice, explain that it's translation the wiki style, that they won't get paid but they'll get to see a great game translated in English, etc... Spread the word!
biggrin.gif

3. Why everyone can signup without control of any kind: because if it works for Wikipedia, being so big and famous, moreso will it for this project (hopefully). This is why I think about this project like "Translation the Wiki style".
4. Why I didn't implement the possibility to edit posts: because I didn't realize it would be useful, because I wanted the translation work to be fast paced instead of having people editing and re-editing their own posts AND because that's not the work of a translator, but of a corrector.
5. What is a corrector? Translators add translated phrases. The job of a corrector is revise a file (or a part of it) and delete those phrases he doesn't like. Their work requires more effort and commitment and is not as casual as a translator's, since they have to make sure the phrases make sense when put together, control the tone of the text, they can translate too. Correction can be done at any time and is notI like to think of this job separation as Final Fantasy's Job System applied to Web 2.0.
6. Who can be a corrector? Contrary to a translator, only someone we know and trust can become a corrector. Appliances will be handled from this thread, but I don't plan on upgrading anyone to corrector until the project takes off.
7. Backups. Well, first I would like to state that the translated text should be safe in the server. I'm no security expert and I haven't bothered implementing any security system for the site (not even passwords are hashed), but I don't think any hacker would bother messing with a project like this. I mean, c'mon, as I said before it's Goku vs Naruto vs Saint Seiya, there's nothing more sacred in this world. Anyway, Backups are handled by another job, still not implemented and called Directors (unless I think of a better name).
8. What's a director? Directors select the phrases they like and compile them (in order) into the final text that will be inserted back into the game. As you can imagine, only someone we can really trust can become one; someone with a sense of commitment and responsability, although he won't be alone: the site offers tools that make this work easier and there will be several other directors too.
9. Who can become a director? I guess the selection process will be the same as with correctors, but that wont happen until the the different translations start to shape up.
10. What will happen when the translation is complete? The plan is letting FAST6191 insert the translated text back into the game and create a patch so everyone can patch their own ROM and enjoy the game in English.
11. Wow. I'm amazed to see such a wonderful and ambitious project coming out. What else can we expect? Well, if everything goes well with this first stage, I have a secret ambition to translate other things such as the menus and komas, but let's wait and see how this shapes up before moving on to something more complicated.

Also, to those warning me about the guys at Dattebayo: to be honest I already expected a rude behavior on their part, just not that way, like "automated". Those guys are crazy...

OSW

Wii King
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Good work all!

and i'm not surprised about dattebayo myself. If i remember corectly, when they make a release they shut off their irc channel for a day or so to anyone that isn't voiced/opp-ed .

There's plenty of other subbing groups out there though, trying some others may give results!

It might be a good idea to post an advertisement in the forums on mangaupdates.com or baka-updates.com.

sumedho

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Thanks...did a few. Is there anyway I can correct any mistakes that I have made? Did a few a bit too fast and left out an exclamation or one word or something. I know you can add another one but it would be good if you could edit your entry again.

Cheers

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Nope.