• Friendly reminder: The politics section is a place where a lot of differing opinions are raised. You may not like what you read here but it is someone's opinion. As long as the debate is respectful you are free to debate freely. Also, the views and opinions expressed by forum members may not necessarily reflect those of GBAtemp. Messages that the staff consider offensive or inflammatory may be removed in line with existing forum terms and conditions.

Joe Biden Wins - Becomes 46th president of the United States

• Thread starter yusuo
  • Start date
  • Views 433,876
  • Replies 7,444
  • Likes 45
Status
Not open for further replies.

Xzi

Time to fly, 621
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United States
the thread may close, but the cope will never die

god bless you, dumpster fire thread
may you live on in your son, Joe Biden is the President of the United States' name
for although you will live for only a fraction of the time of that thread
you will be remembered fondly
I have a feeling we're gonna need a new cope megathread after this one is closed. Assuming Foxi doesn't want to deal with fifty new threads a day for the next four years, anyway.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I have a feeling we're gonna need a new cope megathread after this one is closed. Assuming Foxi doesn't want to deal with fifty new threads a day for the next four years, anyway.
Threatening me with a good time may have adverse effects in terms of future access to the site. Now, if we're done discussing possible outcomes after this thread dies a natural death, we can get back to politics. :gun:

Reactions: wartutor and Xzi

Cryoraptor

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Threatening me with a good time may have adverse effects to future access to the site. Now, if we're done discussing possible outcomes after this thread dies a natural death, we can get back to politics.
The question is, who's gonna get the last message? More importantly, what time on Wednesday will it be locked?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
The question is, who's gonna get the last message? More importantly, what time on Wednesday will it be locked?
It will be locked once it's no longer relevant, namely after the peaceful (hopefully) transition of power takes place. Once that event fully unfolds and its details are discussed, there's no further reason for the inauguration thread to exist.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
To be honest, I hope the transition of power will be peaceful.

Because, I cannot shake this feeling that it will not be.
Half of DC is either walled off or covered in barbed wire and there are thousands of troops stationed in the vicinity of Capitol Hill. If there are any shamans wanting to disrupt the proceedings, I sure hope they prayed to all their gods beforehand.

Cryoraptor

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
To be honest, I hope the transition of power will be peaceful.

Because, I cannot shake this feeling that it will not be.
Hopefully, the amount of national guard on inauguration day and probably for the next couple of months sends the message home that if any degenerates try causing problems, they will more than likely be shut down and possibly killed. As much as Trump likes attention, I think he's going to do his best to shut up and stay quiet now, because he's on reaaaaaally thin ice as it is and he doesn't want to spend his last days in prison. I have no doubt MAGA will continue for several years though, probably under different leadership, although I think in 2024 MAGA will have lost enough steam that the MAGA candidate loses out to the more sane, moderate Republican candidate. But we shall see.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Half of DC is either walled off or covered in barbed wire and there are thousands of troops stationed in the vicinity of Capitol Hill. If there are any shamans wanting to disrupt the proceedings, I sure hope they prayed to all their gods beforehand.
Yes, it looks walled off as hell. And with all the soldiers stationed, it looks like a battlefield.

Still, there are people who aren't the sharpest tool in the shed. If it's not there, it could maybe be somewhere else.

gamefan5

Kid Icarus Uprising connoiseur
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If there's 120 days of riots maybe the media will day it's "mostly peaceful" protests?
In Canada, yes. Because we mostly march unarmed and the worst thin we could do is destroy property.m likebreaking and stealing. And our media here usually makes a clear distinction between the peaceful protesters and the bad apples.

That's not the case for a lot of media outlets in the USA, sadly. On both sides.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hopefully, the amount of national guard on inauguration day and probably for the next couple of months sends the message home that if any degenerates try causing problems, they will more than likely be shut down and possibly killed. As much as Trump likes attention, I think he's going to do his best to shut up and stay quiet now, because he's on reaaaaaally thin ice as it is and he doesn't want to spend his last days in prison. I have no doubt MAGA will continue for several years though, probably under different leadership, although I think in 2024 MAGA will have lost enough steam that the MAGA candidate loses out to the more sane, moderate Republican candidate. But we shall see.

It'll keep on going for years to come. In fact, I would even say that it has always been there, the seeds have sown and it is now budding, because Trump brought it out in the open.

Cryoraptor

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
In Canada, yes. Because we mostly march unarmed and the worst thin we could do is destroy property.m likebreaking and stealing. And our media here usually makes a clear distinction between the peaceful protesters and the bad apples.

That's not the case for a lot of media outlets in the USA, sadly. On both sides.

It'll keep on going for years to come. In fact, I would even say that it has always been there, the seeds have sown and it is now budding, because Trump brought it out in the open.
Oh yeah, MAGA mentality has always existed. Trump manipulated it to get into power. It'll keep going for a while, but over time MAGA views will become social taboo again and without someone like Trump steamrolling through to keep it alive, it'll just fizzle out. But that's a process that will take years. No doubt we'll have a serious MAGA contender for the Republican candidate in 2024. By then though, it's quite possible if not likely that MAGA will have become considerably more fringe and taboo, and they won't be seen as electable. MAGA worked for the GOP for 4 years, and now it's disgraced them. Unless Biden/Harris if Biden passes away turns out to be completely useless, the GOP aren't getting back in in 2024 with MAGA again. They'll be aiming for a more moderate policy. The GOP realistically doesn't have much of a chance in 2024 regardless anyway because unless the current pres is terrible like Trump was, the public probably isn't going to switch half-way through an administration's life. If I was one of the senior members of GOP I'd seriously be suggesting that unless the opportuinity arises due to Biden being shite, they shouldn't really expend resources in 2024 and should just start preparing for 2028 now.

Last edited by Cryoraptor,

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I'm not opposed to conflicts that have been brewing under the surface for decades being finally out in the open. Everybody can act out their crazy temper tantrums and we can return to a semblance of normalcy in due time. Lest we forget that Democrats have also objected to electoral votes certification in 2016, or that to this day they pretend Stacey Abrams actually won her gubernatorial race and the election was "stolen" from her, leading to her subsequent lawsuit against Georgia's board of electors. Bizzare claims of the system "not working" or that it's "fraudulent" are not unique to Republicans.

Cryoraptor

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not opposed to conflicts that have been brewing under the surface for decades being finally out in the open. Everybody can act out their crazy temper tantrums and we can return to a semblance of normalcy in due time. Lest we forget that Democrats have also objected to electoral votes certification in 2016, or that to this day they pretend Stacey Abrams actually won her gubernatorial race and the election was "stolen" from her, so she subsequently suing the Georgia board of electors. Bizzare claims of the system "not working" or that it's "fraudulent" are not unique to Republicans.
100% with you on this one. This is why I'm centrist.

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not opposed to conflicts that have been brewing under the surface for decades being finally out in the open. Everybody can act out their crazy temper tantrums and we can return to a semblance of normalcy in due time.
this kinda shit is why we're fucked
we're just letting the situation devolve as we're like
"Yeah man, but we'll go back to normal soon, right???" -sweats-

You can't put the toothpaste back in the tube. A lot of people have been given permission to go full on fascist, not least of which is the party itself. God, I shudder to think where the 2024 Republican primary is gonna go...

Cryoraptor

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
All of Canada has Justin Trudeau to deal with.
Justin Trudeau makes me embarrassed to be 1/8th Canadian

you're between corporatists and fascists? you're in the middle of that? what's that middle ground look like?
Calling everyone on all sides out for their mistakes. For me at least, centrism is taking the best of all worlds that can be applied in a useful and realistic way, and getting rid of the silly stuff.

Lacius

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not opposed to conflicts that have been brewing under the surface for decades being finally out in the open. Everybody can act out their crazy temper tantrums and we can return to a semblance of normalcy in due time. Lest we forget that Democrats have also objected to electoral votes certification in 2016, or that to this day they pretend Stacey Abrams actually won her gubernatorial race and the election was "stolen" from her, so she subsequently suing the Georgia board of electors. Bizzare claims of the system "not working" or that it's "fraudulent" are not unique to Republicans.
Nobody objected to the 2016 electoral college certification on the basis of unsubstantiated voter fraud claims. Nobody seriously attempted, nor advocated for, overthrowing the results of the 2016 election.

Stacey Abrams lost because Kemp demonstrably meddled in the 2018 election from a position of power he should not have held (overseeing an election he was running in).

Darth Meteos

Entertainer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Calling everyone on all sides out for their mistakes. For me at least, centrism is taking the best of all worlds that can be applied in a useful and realistic way, and getting rid of the silly stuff.
pretty cringe
one side is objectively right, and the other side is objectively wrong
co-operation yields results and has done so for our whole history, and well before it
hierarchical systems breed discrimination and oppression by their very nature

i mean, where's the best of the republican world? point to the good thing

EDIT: To be clear, I am referring to left-wing ideals, which are not represented by the Democrat Party, a center-right party, and right-wing ideals, which are represented fairly well by the Republican Party.
I am not referring to the Democrats being right. They are Right, though. Mind-bender.

Last edited by Darth Meteos,
Reactions: Deleted User
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1