Japanese Court Outlaws the "R4"

coolbho3000

GBATemp Kikkoman Naturally Brewed SoySauce Fanatic
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
http://kotaku.com/5161340/japanese-court-b...the-dss-r4-cart

"The Tokyo District Court has found against the Chinese makers of the R4 - officially known as the "R4 Revolution for DS" - and granted an injunction against sales of the device, prompting Nintendo, Square Enix & Capcom to issue statements proclaiming that they're a "violation under Japan's laws"."

Oh noes.
gbasp.gif

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I might have to read up on Japanese intellectual property law but even though the R4 is long dead I believe this sets and interesting precedent.

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
so what, who uses an R4 nowadays anyway?
it's just the R4.

they will probably have a tougher time getting the m3real recognised as illegal, because officially the japanese m3real doesn't run roms.

Gman 101

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Noitora said:
Who buys R4s these days? Except from a few noobs that is...

The problem is that this sets a precedent for courts to start banning other flashcarts, or even the whole flashcart/modchip industry. So basically, since this is a new precedent, courts can now base their decision on this case... which means that if CycloDS were under trial for example, they would probably get banned like the R4 in Japan since the decision is highly influenced by this R4 case...

Fat D

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I am all for outlawing the R4 - the single device, not flashcards as a whole. That would take care of a lot of stupid people who still buy this stuff, thinking it is the best, while it was only a decent device about.. umm.. one and a half years ago?

gblock247

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
mishra said:
Gman 101 said:
Uh oh... this probably will leave a lot of precedents for courts everywhere. Crap. I hope Australia doesn't catch on till... the DS is phased out or something.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/breaking/pla...8562920702.html

The act of downloading a game is illegal, playing the game on your DS is not. =P

If that's truly the way it's worded, couldn't you just get them (ROMS) from someone else (like say on a disc) and be fine? May seem like an ignorant question, but if that's the way it's worded, that has alot of holes don't ya think?

thedicemaster

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
SoLuckys said:
I dont know why people like this R4, the sh*tier device ever
it was the 1st slot-1 flashcart, it has a simple to use menu, and due to it's good start people think the R4 is the only way to get roms working on your DS.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I believe the first was the ninjapass or something (there were several carts all with ninja in the name, none were very good though).
The R4 was the first one to make it big and distract people from the GBA slot devices, by that I mean the SC DSone and all the others were around but while they were messing with firmware, nice features and squashing bugs the the R4 represented the best buy for newcomers for quite a while. Nowadays the somewhat poor design choices are fairly evident but back when saying such a thing would probably be considered flamebait at best.

Zerotance

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
QUOTE said:
The statement concludes with the 54 companies saying they'll continue to pursue other manufacturers of similar devices.

This is scary- they may take out ALL of the manafactuars that well them in japan.
unsure.gif

Also, I thought that they stopped production of the R4DS and so then why does it say that they stop sales of them? Is this the resellers sales?
blink.gif

Diosoth

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This won't stop people from actually obtaining flash carts. Might deal with street vendors or "legit" online sellers but it's a waste of time otherwise. But knowing Nintendo, they'll soon find a way to make it a criminal offense to own one.

Hop2089

Cute>Hot
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
The developers want their money and the worst part the games for the DS are expensive in Japan running between 5200-7500 yen (around $52-75 bucks US). So there won't be any cheap alternatives to get games there eventually.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-