Nintendo and friends win $1Million in damages against R4 carts

Discussion in 'User Submitted News' started by T-hug, Jul 9, 2013.

1. T-hug
    OP

T-hug Always like this.

pip Chief Editor
    Oct 24, 2002
    England
    [​IMG]

Today Nintendo, along with 50 other Japanese game companies including Konami, Capcom, Square Enix, Level-5 and Bandai Namco have won $944, 921 in damages from 2 Tokyo based R4 sellers.
    Last year it was made illegal to import R4 cards in Japan.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/corporate/release/2013/130709.html

2. Foxi4

Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip Reporter
    Sep 13, 2009
    Poland
    Gaming Grotto
    R4's are the DS equivalent of CD/DVD/BR-R's, even less - they're merely adapters for rewritable storage. I find it odd that any court that has any understanding of technology would think that they cause any damage and that they could be made illegal. It's the end user's choice to use them for piracy - the carts themselves are in no way harmful just like blank discs aren't.

3. xist

xist ΚΑΤΑ ΤΟΝ ΔΑΙΜΟΝΑ ΕΑΥΤΟΥ

Jul 14, 2008
    The question is whether the companies who've lost have any available cash to pay up (unlikely - I'd guess it's sequestered away) or if it's just to force bankruptcy. In which case they'll probably just change names and spring up again doing a similar but tactfully rebranded thing...

Wizerzak and tbgtbg like this.
  4. BrightNeko

BrightNeko Popcorn ball

Dec 11, 2010
    United States
    Texas
    You know due to the topic title I really just wanna draw a title card for an animated show. "Nintendo and friends" with all the companies various main stays. >_>

Oh hey they won money? cool.

5. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK
    That doesn't sound like a whole lot, in all fairness. Considering how much money people DON'T pay to these companies as soon as they get one of these cards. You get a decent memory card, maybe 4GB on average, you can fit a good 30-40 games on there, each losing one of those companies £30 or so. And that's from one card. Can't help but feel that they've been given some paltry token payment to keep them quiet. A victory for public relations since they 'struck a blow in the war against piracy' but it surely doesn't come close to making up for the damages caused.

6. Ethevion

Ethevion Wannabe Artist

Sep 23, 2010
    Canada
    Did each company get that much money, or all the companies combined?

7. Gahars

Gahars Bakayaro Banzai

Aug 5, 2011
    United States
    New Jersey
    I felt a great disturbance in the R-Force, as if millions of flash carts cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.

8. orcid

orcid GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Austria
    It is not against the manufacturer. It is only against two sellers from Tokyo. So it is quite a lot.

RodrigoDavy and EZ-Megaman like this.
  9. Blaze163

Blaze163 The White Phoenix's purifying flame.

Nov 19, 2008
    Coventry, UK

If we're talking two guys running a little shop out of their basement or something, then that's fair enough.

10. shakirmoledina

shakirmoledina Legend

Oct 23, 2004
    Tanzania
    Dar es Salaam
    at this rate, supercard shall be sued 10 years from now

but why only r4 and not others? it seems to be a message that nintendo and co. wants to send

and hence CFW > hardware backup devices

11. BORTZ

BORTZ You get a hat, and YOU get a hat!

Supervisor
    GBAtemp Patron
    BORTZ is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Dec 2, 2007
    United States
    Pittsburgh
    R.I.P. R4... Ill never forget you.

EZ-Megaman likes this.
  12. evandixon

evandixon PMD Researcher

May 29, 2009
    United States
    R4 died a long time ago. All the R4s out now are simply clones.
    Just saying.

Ammako likes this.
  13. Minox

Minox I did it

Supervisor
    Aug 27, 2007
    Sweden
    They mention nothing about R4s in the original article, but rather マジコン(majikon) devices which is more or less the Japanese word for a flashcart. However, due to the widespread publicity the R4 has gotten articles usually refers to all flashcarts as 'R4s' even though a whole bunch of other devices might be involved.

14. TwilightWarrior

TwilightWarrior GBATEMP'S Official Boss

Jun 3, 2013
    Canada
    In front of my 3DS

Naw, man they just realeased the new rts one like 3 months ago and its the official one

15. Hanafuda

Hanafuda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Nov 21, 2005
    United States

Quoted because it seems most people replying here didn't get this -- it's just a couple businesses in Tokyo that were selling flashcarts that got crushed. Selling flashcarts in Japan is like going to a police station to see if they'd like to buy some stolen televisions.

EZ-Megaman and porkiewpyne like this.
  16. Tattorack

Tattorack Interstellar Explorer

Jun 15, 2011
    Denmark
    Calisto Prime Orbital
    Great, the link given is totally in Japanese =_=

17. Chaossaturn

Chaossaturn ローレンス

Jan 22, 2007
    This is bullshit, if someone buys a knife and kills someone, the seller don't get sued (if the person is of legal age to buy knife). If someone sells a R4 and the purchaser use it to pirate, the seller gets sued...

kehkou likes this.
  18. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    Depends actually. Also as you can legally purchase a knife (give or take various restrictions) and the import, creation, sale, possibly use and export of R4 type devices was banned in Japan it would happen that being sued/fined is the order of the day.

19. Ziggy Zigzagoon

Ziggy Zigzagoon GBAtemp Fan

Aug 6, 2010
    The interesting thing is that I remember The 10 Commandments winning a lawsuit against VHS in damages because those who can watch The 10 Commandments at any time instead of (I think) once a year would not bother to watch the commericals that coincide with the official screening, thus losing profits.
    Errata: The reverse happened. Sony got the right to sell blank videocasettes.

I think this is due to the two vendors having to pay less than one thousand dollars each (due to the way the leas post is written).

20. reprep

reprep GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 5, 2012
    get your dstwo. now. or better get all the flash cards you want now. it might be too late later.