DO NOT SCREENSHOT
OP
Supervisor
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
isohunt1.png

isoHunt, a popular hangout for those wanting pirated material, is shutting down thanks to the owner Gary Fung has agreed to a settlement. Now bear in mind this isn't due to the government leaning on him, but of his own volition.

Today Gary Fung opened a new website which is simple WordPress site with only one posting:
“It’s sad to see my baby go. But I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, and I have remained faithful. 10.5 years of isoHunt has been a long journey by any business definition, and forever in Internet startup time. It started as a programming hobby in my university days that has become so, so much more.

It’s been a learning experience beyond what I imagined. I’ve done the best I could push the social benefits of BitTorrent and file sharing, the searching and sharing of culture itself, but it’s time for me to move on to new software ideas and projects.

There’s so much I want to write about. Some I want to take time writing about, some I can’t talk about. Since someone from Hollywood got the news out of our pending shutdown already, I just want to get a bit of my side of the story out with this post.

FYI, this is the last part of our lawsuit I haven’t talked about yet. Our SCOTUS petition.

I’m working on new projects, so this is not a good bye, but announcing a new beginning for yours truly. You’ll be hearing from me soon. Stay in touch with me on garyfung.ca.”

He has to pay a $110 million to hollywood film companies for "damages". isoHunt will join napster, Kazaa, and Limewire in the graveyard of piracy sites.

:arrow: Source

Reactions: EZ-Megaman

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Private tracker master race
Usenet master race

Master race aside, always a shame to see a site like this go down. I admit I had used it quite a few times before I jumped on the Usenet bandwagon, though I had also used TPB and a few private trackers I can't remember the names of. This is pretty high up there as far as the public ones go.

Reactions: DinohScene

Celice

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Many, I remember when isohunt used to be a useful torrent place, compared to all the other trashy aggregates out there. Probably overlived itself anyways, though.

ShadowSoldier

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I liked isoHunt. I haven't used it in years because for some reason it stopped working from my IP. The site wouldn't load for jack shit for me, and even then, a lot of torrents weren't on there. I found that the site turned messy. But still, it's a shame to see a vet torrent site go down.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Using a combination of The Pirate Bay and (God, it feels so weird being able to actually type that and not get a warn/ban) a private tracker that I got a free invite to, I've been good for all pirated content ever needed. Not that big of a loss.

D

Deleted User

Never used it anyway, movies/tv I go with --removed--, games I go to pirate bay. No tears were shed over this.

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Never used it anyway, movies/tv I go with --removed--, games I go to pirate bay. No tears were shed over this.
How can you go with --removed--?
It provides the shittest quality out there.
High quality video in a small file size? What's missing? I'll tell ya, decent audio! The audio is just horrible, camcorder audio is better...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, I know what it is. :creep: