Is this generation of gaming all about graphics now ?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
QUOTE said:

Honestly, I dont have a HD console and a powerful computer and never played a HD game (yes I'm a typical Nintendo "fanboy" or actually I never had enough money for more than one console) and I am sick of bad graphics, framerate issues etc. I want awesome graphicz! So I think I will buy a HD console this year.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
WiiBricker said:
QUOTE said:

Honestly, I dont have a HD console and a powerful computer and never played a HD game (yes I'm a typical Nintendo "fanboy" or actually I never had enough money for more than one console) and I am sick of bad graphics, framerate issues etc. I want awesome graphicz! So I think I will buy a HD console this year.
Or you could stop buying games with bad graphics...

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
this generation games ?
they're limited now , but everyone else just wants graphics .
i am excited for Skyrim, ME3 but with the next released , not much .
The Witcher 2 seems to be good , but my focus of this whole thread was those who just complain about graphics and want to play shooters :\

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Juanmatron said:
"You know why that game was great? It was because of the fog effects! It was because of the destructible environments! It was because of how you can see every strand of hair on that character’s head! Yeah!"

Fuck this. Give me back my arcade games.
laugh.gif

machomuu said:
WiiBricker said:
QUOTEIs this generation of gaming all about graphics now ?

Or you could stop buying games with bad graphics...
Yea, it not like the wii graphics are bad.

Other words just because ps3 is a power house, doesn't mean the wii doesn't have any good graphics at all.

To me, I'm not saying screw graphics, just don't lack on the other stuff.

If I had to chose between them, I'll pick gameplay.

Giga_Gaia

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You know you're talking to a 15 years old kid or younger when all the person can see is the graphics. Older gamers can actually see that a game is good even if it doesn't have the best graphics ever.

chris888222

GBAtemp's Flygon Fan
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
To me,

great game = great storyline, controls and acceptable graphics (for RPG)

or

extensive weaponry, awesome controls, acceptable graphics and no framerate issues (for FPS/TPS)

I don't really bother about high-end graphics.
tongue.gif

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Giga_Gaia said:
You know you're talking to a 15 years old kid or younger when all the person can see is the graphics. Older gamers can actually see that a game is good even if it doesn't have the best graphics ever.
That's why most gamers my age can't handle retro games.

Ringo619

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
seems like it today , i meant if you see the the game trailers or game play videos on YouTube its all about the graphics and i remember people were whining about how shit the duke nukem game graphics were like of something of ps2. I personal not a gamer my self but i really just buy the game on how it looks with the characters if they look good or not or about the story line thats why i always buy games like KH, FF and so on

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ringo619 said:
seems like it today , i meant if you see the the game trailers or game play videos on YouTube its all about the graphics and i remember people were whining about how shit the duke nukem game graphics were like of something of ps2. I personal not a gamer my self but i really just buy the game on how it looks with the characters if they look good or not or about the story line thats why i always buy games like KH, FF and so on

Because Duke Nukem is coming out this year and the game is graphically on-par with fucking Doom III. Plus I'm really guessing DNF will be bad. Most people who actually wanted DNF when it was announced and a few years after that have since forgotten about it and stopped caring. Everyone who wants the game now are kids who've never even played Duke Nukem games and just hear all of his two silly quotes and think the game is awesome. If anything the game looks like a testament to dated game design. Not retro game design, dated game design.

And seriously people, today's games are fucking awesome. Most people just hate on them to sound like some seasoned veteran gamer. Fact is that the games today are deeper, larger, better controlled (or controlled completely differently), and yes, look better than ever before.

zzz92

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Great game = Fun to play for me =D

Graphic is a added bonus. But graphics are a hook that game producers use, if you can see pass that you will find many more fun games! An example would be minecraft! [minecrarft ftw btw!] An indie game blockbuster! There is no fancy particles no hd graphics, just plain old pixel art on a 16x16 cell that makes up the blocks of the game! And yet millions of people are playing it!

m3rox

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
zzz92 said:

Graphic is a added bonus. But graphics are a hook that game producers use, if you can see pass that you will find many more fun games! An example would be minecraft! [minecrarft ftw btw!] An indie game blockbuster! There is no fancy particles no hd graphics, just plain old pixel art on a 16x16 cell that makes up the blocks of the game! And yet millions of people are playing it!

Sounds about as fun as farmville....

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
m3rox said:
zzz92 said:

Sounds about as fun as farmville....

Would HD graphics make it better?
rofl2.gif

QUOTE(ZaeZae64 @ May 26 2011, 08:54 PM)
Wasn't graphics a big deal a long time ago as well?
y'know the whole 16 bit wars thing? (granted alot of it was just Moreo Vs. Sawnic but eh. y'know.)
I didn't even think much about graphics in the old days tho. :/

ZaeZae64

Trophies
Website
puu.sh
XP
Country
United States
KingVamp said:
ZaeZae64 said:
Wasn't graphics a big deal a long time ago as well?
y'know the whole 16 bit wars thing? (granted alot of it was just Moreo Vs. Sawnic but eh. y'know.)
I didn't even think much about graphics in the old days tho. :/
Neither did I really. But I was a little kid back then so I didn't really care.
But I always remembered commercials for each console boasting about better hardware/better graphics.

iluvfupaburgers

FUPA Luva
Trophies
XP
Country
Ecuador
i believe graphics have always played a huge part in games. but now older games look kinda shitty graphic-wise compared to newer games. games like FFVII was revolutionary since it added 3d animations in rpg, and was one of the first games to use actual 3d avatars instead of 2d/3d. this game was and is still good, had amazing graphics back in its day but now they suck. nintendo 64 was a huge break in animations aswell, it broke the barriers of 16 bit gaming and introduced 3d gaming, making graphics a huge thing back in the day aswell. looking at games like LoZ, GoldenEye, and many other games that introduced 3d graphics to us but still making the games pretty enjoyable.

what i think is going on now with games is not due to graphics. its multiplayer. now companies are more interested in building the best multiplayer game and dont take to notice much of the storyline or characters, since people are now interested in playing agaisnt others.

games can still have great graphics and be amazing games. just look at dead space. amazing horror/survival game, and in my opinion, better storyline than others in its genre

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Guild McCommunist said:
Ringo619 said:

Because Duke Nukem is coming out this year and the game is graphically on-par with fucking Doom III. Plus I'm really guessing DNF will be bad. Most people who actually wanted DNF when it was announced and a few years after that have since forgotten about it and stopped caring. Everyone who wants the game now are kids who've never even played Duke Nukem games and just hear all of his two silly quotes and think the game is awesome. If anything the game looks like a testament to dated game design. Not retro game design, dated game design.

And seriously people, today's games are fucking awesome. Most people just hate on them to sound like some seasoned veteran gamer. Fact is that the games today are deeper, larger, better controlled (or controlled completely differently), and yes, look better than ever before.
I dunno. There are alot of honest to goodness gamers out there who don't like new games. I'm losing interest and nowadays there are few games that capture my attention, and I definitely wouldn't say they're deeper as a whole. A few, good quality ones may be deep, but for every 1 good game that comes out, 50 crappy ones do too. Many games have pretty generic storylines, which gets boring fast. The last game that truly captivated me storyline-wise was Mass Effect 2. Before that, MGS4. Before that, Phoenix Wright Trials and Tribulations. Some games today are f*cking awesome, but until we get truly memorable soundtracks again, or a genre changing new IP, or a surplus of games with deep storylines, or replay value that doesn't rely on online gaming, I'll stick to older games, I don't care what they look like.

KingVamp

Haaah-hahahaha!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It seem pretty hard for devs to have a well balance game and still have it not be a $100 dollars. (over exaggeration)
laugh.gif

They could let up a little on the graphics I believe. I didn't need to have my games HD
to consider them fun and worth it.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Luckily JRPGs are still doing good for delivering excellent stories. There's a bit more hesitation for translating them, but that's to be expected.

I haven't really bought a REAL new game in a while. Even the games I consider buying are just for the gameplay, which means the game overall has little value to me, since honestly gameplay takes a back seat to story.

To actually answer the blog title's question, western gaming is all about the graphics these days. I still can't get over how many sites gave RDR soundtrack of the year, over a godlike soundtrack like NIER's. If I think back to RDR, I don't even remember it having music because it was so friggin' unmemorable, kinda like the story and characters.

Honestly outside of jap developers, I don't really buy western games for anything more then gameplay. Except the odd gem like The Darkness, which had a pretty interesting story and, as far as I know, was western made.

ilman

Gbatemp's Official Noise Eraser
Trophies
XP
Country
well you could think of a good storyline, characters, replay value and others in the past.
but then you couldn't make a game with HD graphics.
that's atleast what I think.

machomuu

Drops by occasionally
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
ilman said:
well you could think of a good storyline, characters, replay value and others in the past.
but then you couldn't make a game with HD graphics.
that's atleast what I think.
That wasn't really an opinion, those were just...words.
What did you mean by that post?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: https://youtube.com/shorts/wZgjSNb-o4c?si=ajt4Lgq_LTYcXxs2 +1