Is this generation of gaming all about graphics now ?

Splych

GBAtemp's Lurker
OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
a little bothersome . . .
no one seems to understand their own meaning towards what gaming is anymore . usually you'd hear :
- "oh it had a great story line"
- "the character development was pretty good"
- "i need the soundtrack of the game"
- "there is so much replay value in this game !"

or anything from the game that made it feel like a game . nowadays , whenever i watch a trailer , all i read are people complaining about graphics are comparing to another game , only graphically wise . it's easy to ignore , but it's caught my attention that so much people always compare the graphics of one game to another . is this what today's generation of gamers has come to ? what ever happened to liking the story line , or the soundtrack or anything else other than graphics ? i understand that graphics play a big role now for this generation BUT is it really necessary for graphics to be the only thing people care about ?

not just that , so much people [specifically anyone under 16] are so saturated with guns . it's all about Modern Warfare 3 , Battlefield 3 blah blah blah . oh Battlefield is going to knock MW3 out of the sales with their graphics , MW3 is going to own BF3 . it's all the same thing over and over again . feels more like a bandwagon than anything else for games . if someone gets a game , then everyone else gets the game . however , they'll probably have no true personal interest towards the actual game .

:\

just my opinion and thoughts .
what do you guys think ?

Shinigami357

Current "give a fuck" level: Honey Badger
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
GUNS!!! AND EYE-BLEEDING HD GRAPHICS!!!

The two factors that can kill the video game industry (or at least send it into deep-freeze). Give me 16-bit sword-and-sorcery RPGs any day.

CrimzonEyed

Trophies
XP
Country
There of the term "Graphic Whores".
About the battlefield/CoD thing. i don't usually like those games that much, but sometimes it's fun to slaughter people online

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Splych said:
no one seems to understand their own meaning towards what gaming is anymore . usually you'd hear :
- "oh it had a great story line"
- "the character development was pretty good"
- "i need the soundtrack of the game"
- "there is so much replay value in this game !"

I hear this A LOT about today's games. I'll take Red Dead Redemption for example (which I loved but some people hated because it's TOO CORPORATE).

- It did have a great storyline. It was a bit chunked due to typical Rockstar "NEED TO KEEP THE LOCATIONS CHANGING" but overall it was very well developed and I almost cried at the end.
- Character development is good, particularly in the case of the Marston's (mainly John and his son).
- I did download the soundtrack. It's fucking amazing. Far Away is something that'll make you gaze into wonder.
- The single player is like up to 40 hours alone (if you get 100% completion, 25 hours if you just want to beat the game) and multiplayer is a lot of fun (and is pretty active).

EDIT: Oh yeah, and the game has mindblowingly good graphics.

Plus this generation has Mass Effect/Mass Effect 2 which I'd easily say has brought the best storyline and character development in a game ever. Plus you can replay the fuck out of it.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
FireGrey said:
What ever happened to music in games?
The music nowadays are just pieces of crap.

I wouldn't say that. I'd say outside of nostalgic purposes, music nowadays is infinitely better than chiptunes from days past. The quality is better, the scale is grander, and the diversity is amazing.

It seems like most people are saying today's games are crappy because they only look at crappy games. Or they're too stubborn to realize that gaming has changed from 10 years ago and refuse to accept that new things are better than old things. Mind you, in 10 years or so, I'm sure we'll all be acting nostalgic and labeling today's games as "some of the best made".

Icealote

My Winter...
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
So what are you all about then?
tongue.gif

Well kids will be kids.. you can't expect them to know any better from what they can see right? They can only be shown or taught.

I do agree with your points though! Bah! Useless children/trolls!
laugh.gif

gifi4

How am I a 'New Member'?
Trophies
XP
Country
Graphics don't bother me too much, if they did, I wouldn't still be playing older consoles.
But these days, the graphics are pretty important, take L.A Noire for example, absolutely brilliant story, but the overall gameplay depends on the graphics, just like many games these days.

Although IMO, the order goes like this: Gameplay, story, music, graphics.
Gameplay and story are debatable. Sometimes game music gets so fcken annoying.

adamshinoda

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
In my country, psp are wayyyyyyy more popular than ds, ps3 are wayyyyyyy more popular than wii. You know why? 'Cause most of "gamers" here considered that Nintendo consoles are failed at graphics.
"oh wii graphics is so childish; it's disgusting, it's no way to beat a monster like ps3"
"psp rules, ds sucks, graphic sucks, music is horrible"
that's what you'll get if you visit any gaming forum in vietnam.

Last week while I was playing my GBA, a friend of mine walked by "Hey how old are you? What year is it? Everyone's playing the gorgeous PSP, your ugly GBA should be sent to hell. Look at its GRAPHICS"

I have no comment here.

Berthenk

Epitome of Awesomeness
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Netherlands
gifi4 said:
Although IMO, the order goes like this: Gameplay, story, music, graphics.
Gameplay and story are debatable. Sometimes game music gets so fcken annoying.
I remember the intro to certain Team Plasma Grunts... I fucking hate that intro; it pisses me off.

Forstride

The rudder moves when I turn the wheel
Trophies
Website
forstride.stormbit.net
XP
Country
United States
KingdomBlade said:
The focus on graphics? Increased exponentially when 3D in games was introduced.
This. Reminds me of when I showed my friend my Zelda fan game (He's a Zelda "fan"), and he said "Can't you make it in 3D?" However, he doesn't seem to care about graphics that much, so it's weird.

naglaro00

Mildly disturbed
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
adamshinoda said:
In my country, psp are wayyyyyyy more popular than ds, ps3 are wayyyyyyy more popular than wii. You know why? 'Cause most of "gamers" here considered that Nintendo consoles are failed at graphics.
"oh wii graphics is so childish; it's disgusting, it's no way to beat a monster like ps3"

Last week while I was playing my GBA, a friend of mine walked by "Hey how old are you? What year is it? Everyone's playing the gorgeous PSP, your ugly GBA should be sent to hell. Look at its GRAPHICS"

I have no comment here.

just like my country
biggrin.gif

wasim

♫ Music addict ♫
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
India
naglaro00 said:
adamshinoda said:

I have no comment here.

just like my country
biggrin.gif
Same here

but i just ignore others

nutella

Low Glycemic Index
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Actually, I very much disagree with this. Generally, games that are all graphics and no substance are usually exposed and bitch slapped for the shitty game they are. It's always been like that. Of course there's always the vocal minority of people who care for nothing but graphics, however, many people of GBAtemp GROSSLY exaggerate their encounters with such "graphics whores". If anything, this generation of gaming is more geared towards the casual audience than anything else.

FireGrey said:
What ever happened to music in games?
The music nowadays are just pieces of crap.
There are some one off games with great soundtracks, but for the most part, I agree. Personal preference, I know. I'm such an 8-bit whore.

KingdomBlade

Blade v3+ (I R SHMEXY)
Trophies
Website
meekpicture.blogspot.com
XP
Country
naglaro00 said:
adamshinoda said:

I have no comment here.

just like my country
biggrin.gif
True about the PSP, DS thing... but from what I can see, the Wii is more popular in the Philippines.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-