Homebrew Is there any reason to use an actual Wii?

• Thread starter Deleted User
  • Start date
  • Views 5,027
  • Replies 57
D

Deleted User

OP
These days dolphin can emulate the Wii and GameCube in 8k resolution if your PC is up to the task. A real Wii looks blurry as fuck on a HD TV whereas a good PC can make Wii games look a lot neater (though still with aged textures).

So unless you're living on a tight budget and buying a Wii is cheaper than a new PC, is there any other reason to use a real Wii?

retrofan_k

Trophies
XP
Country
Belarus
Regardless of PC specs, some like collecting and using real hardware for all platforms like myself for nostalgia purposes and how it was meant to be played. I use my Wii with a component cable to play both Wii and GC in 480P.

It's not the same experience even with pretty graphics using emulation on a PC with 4K res, even though I have the option to do so, I don't.

Wizardkoer

Wii Veteran - 17
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Same, I have mine because it's such a great console and thing to have. But to actually play Wii games (I barely do though) I use Dolphin.

DeadlyFoez

XFlak Fanboy
Banned
Trophies
Website
DeadlyFoez.zzl.org
XP
Country
United States
I haven't used my wii in about 6 months now, but I still keep it. If I want to play wii games then I will use the wii, not a pc. I love the wii as it was the console that got me into console hacking and I achieved quite a bit with it.

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Regardless of PC specs, some like collecting and using real hardware for all platforms like myself for nostalgia purposes and how it was meant to be played. I use my Wii with a component cable to play both Wii and GC in 480P.

It's not the same experience even with pretty graphics using emulation on a PC with 4K res, even though I have the option to do so, I don't.

My feeling's entirely.
It's strange though... I use my Wii U to play Wii games in HD, my Wii to play GC in 480 via component, and my GC (with Gameboy Player) to play GB/GBC/GBA via RGB SCART... us retro collectors are a strange breed :creep:

Reactions: retrofan_k

newo

Trophies
Website
wiibrew.org
XP
Country
Jamaica
The actual wii useless less electricity than basically everything else you can plug into the wall. and yes component cables are a must. I prefer working on wii homebrew over pc stuff - less clutter, updates and stuff. There is just less of everything when playing on hardware. PC people seem to have a ton of games and only play a few.

Trophies
XP
Country
France
If you have a PC powerful enough, Dolphin is far superior. Just an advice: dump your Wii's NAND and link it to Dolphin. Nowadays Dolphin is so accurate that it's capable of accessing the Wii Shop channel and buying actual games. And games with texture packs are just gorgeous. No game will ever lag if you have a good PC, and stutter/glitches are almost non-existent on the latest builds (ie Dolphin 5.0-xxxx)

azzarod

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
A cheap complete gaming rig is going to run around $1000 (PC, monitor, peripherals).

A Wii is $50 w/controllers (at least in Australia), and a TV under $200 (which you probably already have).

Seems like a no-brainer if all you want to do is play Wii games.

DrayanoX

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
A cheap complete gaming rig is going to run around $1000 (PC, monitor, peripherals).

A Wii is $50 w/controllers (at least in Australia), and a TV under $200 (which you probably already have).

Seems like a no-brainer if all you want to do is play Wii games.
Except you can get a pc that plays wii games for 300$ and it can do other things than JUST playing wii/gc games and it can also emulate other systems. (also you probably have a monitor anyway)
If you JUST play wii games then a wii is of course better.
If you want enhancements you can get them for way less than 1000$

stol1

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Greece
Because it's cool to sit in the couch and control everything from there, watch movies, play games, emulators, listen to music etc. Plus it can do 240p so if you have an old CRT it's the easiest and cheap way to play old games in native resolutions.

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Motion bar, gamecube ports, 100% compat with every game, lower power consumption.
Dolphin made me go and buy the real thing.
Dolphin has almost the same things (except lower power cons.), I don't see where you're going.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

And people using the money argument apparently didn't read the OP, which states :
So unless you're living on a tight budget and buying a Wii is cheaper than a new PC, is there any other reason to use a real Wii?

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Dolphin will become a far more interesting and appealing prospect when it becomes possible to run the fully featured "all bells and whistles" version of it via Retropie.

...but, tbh, this is a largely objective question the Op's posed anyway - in so much as it can apply to virtually every old system versus whatever emulator is best supported for that particular system... "Is there any reason to use an actual [insert any old games console/handheld here]" ...the answers will be almost identical to those in this thread.

Reactions: netovsk

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, :creep: