Is there any reason to use an actual Wii?

Discussion in 'Wii - Emulation and Homebrew' started by leafeon34, Jun 4, 2017.

1. leafeon34
    OP

leafeon34 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 30, 2014
    These days dolphin can emulate the Wii and GameCube in 8k resolution if your PC is up to the task. A real Wii looks blurry as fuck on a HD TV whereas a good PC can make Wii games look a lot neater (though still with aged textures).

So unless you're living on a tight budget and buying a Wii is cheaper than a new PC, is there any other reason to use a real Wii?

2. retrofan_k

retrofan_k GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

May 31, 2013
    Belarus
    Caves
    Regardless of PC specs, some like collecting and using real hardware for all platforms like myself for nostalgia purposes and how it was meant to be played. I use my Wii with a component cable to play both Wii and GC in 480P.

It's not the same experience even with pretty graphics using emulation on a PC with 4K res, even though I have the option to do so, I don't.

3. Wizardkoer

Wizardkoer Wii Veteran

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    Same, I have mine because it's such a great console and thing to have. But to actually play Wii games (I barely do though) I use Dolphin.

4. Pacheko17

Pacheko17 かっこい男の子

Jan 31, 2015
    Brazil
    Southern Confederation
    If you just want to play, then Dolphin is better.
    I have mine even though I can run Dolphin, I just like the hardware and Wii cases have pretty good art.

5. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    I like taking my actual Wii to a friend's house for casual bowling sessions. And emulators, they love that shit.

Tomato Hentai likes this.
  6. gnmmarechal

gnmmarechal Kirigiri > Naoto

GBAtemp Patron
    gnmmarechal is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 13, 2014
    Portugal
    https://gs2012.xyz
    I could play Game Boy, Game Boy Colour, Game Boy Advance, PS2, etc. on my PC, but I don't. I like using the real hardware. Same case with the Wii.

7. Jayro

Jayro MediCat DVD and Mini Windows 10 Developer

GBAtemp Patron
    Jayro is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jul 23, 2012
    United States
    Octo Canyon
    Just the fact that my Wii has taken on the task of being my primary Gamecube is reason enough tbh.

8. DeadlyFoez

DeadlyFoez GBAtemp Guru

Apr 12, 2009
    United States
    I haven't used my wii in about 6 months now, but I still keep it. If I want to play wii games then I will use the wii, not a pc. I love the wii as it was the console that got me into console hacking and I achieved quite a bit with it.

9. LaPingas

LaPingas FGC Monster

Nov 2, 2016
    Israel
    Armada's Mustache
    Some glitches may occour on Dolphin on an average PC. I can't play SSBM for example smoothly enough and it just feels frustrating

10. DrayanoX

DrayanoX Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2017
    Antigua and Barbuda
    I prefer playing on Dolphin for the enhancements, convenience and netplay.

11. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    Bullet Hell
    My feeling's entirely.
    It's strange though... I use my Wii U to play Wii games in HD, my Wii to play GC in 480 via component, and my GC (with Gameboy Player) to play GB/GBC/GBA via RGB SCART... us retro collectors are a strange breed :creep:

retrofan_k likes this.
  12. newo

newo GBAtemp Regular

Apr 7, 2011
    Jamaica
    The actual wii useless less electricity than basically everything else you can plug into the wall. and yes component cables are a must. I prefer working on wii homebrew over pc stuff - less clutter, updates and stuff. There is just less of everything when playing on hardware. PC people seem to have a ton of games and only play a few.

13. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    If you have a PC powerful enough, Dolphin is far superior. Just an advice: dump your Wii's NAND and link it to Dolphin. Nowadays Dolphin is so accurate that it's capable of accessing the Wii Shop channel and buying actual games. And games with texture packs are just gorgeous. No game will ever lag if you have a good PC, and stutter/glitches are almost non-existent on the latest builds (ie Dolphin 5.0-xxxx)

14. azzarod

azzarod Member

Newcomer
    Jan 3, 2017
    A cheap complete gaming rig is going to run around $1000 (PC, monitor, peripherals).

A Wii is $50 w/controllers (at least in Australia), and a TV under $200 (which you probably already have).

Seems like a no-brainer if all you want to do is play Wii games.

15. CallmeBerto

CallmeBerto The "Lone Wanderer"

GBAtemp Patron
    CallmeBerto is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 1, 2017
    United States
    USA
    As others have said it's a nice emulation box if you don't have a tiny computer with you.

16. DrayanoX

DrayanoX Member

Newcomer
    Apr 12, 2017
    Antigua and Barbuda
    Except you can get a pc that plays wii games for 300$ and it can do other things than JUST playing wii/gc games and it can also emulate other systems. (also you probably have a monitor anyway)
    If you JUST play wii games then a wii is of course better.
    If you want enhancements you can get them for way less than 1000$

17. netovsk

netovsk GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 17, 2015
    Brazil
    Motion bar, gamecube ports, 100% compat with every game, lower power consumption.
    Dolphin made me go and buy the real thing.

GreyWolf and duwen like this.
  18. stol1

stol1 Newbie

Newcomer
    Jun 5, 2017
    Greece
    Because it's cool to sit in the couch and control everything from there, watch movies, play games, emulators, listen to music etc. Plus it can do 240p so if you have an old CRT it's the easiest and cheap way to play old games in native resolutions.

19. StarTrekVoyager

StarTrekVoyager Soon™

Jun 19, 2016
    France
    Paris
    Dolphin has almost the same things (except lower power cons.), I don't see where you're going.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

And people using the money argument apparently didn't read the OP, which states :

20. duwen

duwen Old Man Yoshi

Sep 6, 2013
    United States
    Bullet Hell
    Dolphin will become a far more interesting and appealing prospect when it becomes possible to run the fully featured "all bells and whistles" version of it via Retropie.

...but, tbh, this is a largely objective question the Op's posed anyway - in so much as it can apply to virtually every old system versus whatever emulator is best supported for that particular system... "Is there any reason to use an actual [insert any old games console/handheld here]" ...the answers will be almost identical to those in this thread.

netovsk likes this.