1. Urbanshadow

Urbanshadow GBAtemp Maniac

As some users have noticed, you don't have any special reason to keep using a wii. You can choose to do so, if you please.

Also, i'd like to make a call for respect of other user's opinions and choices. Probably OP hasn't a particular reason to choose to play a real wii. Other user may have, and that's perfectly fine.

2. Procyon

Procyon TheRealProcyon

Netherlands
    I respect OP, I just explained some stuff.

Nonetheless OP: RiiConnect24 brings back WiiConnect24. Including weather, news, mail, Everybody Votes soon, and many other stuff that isn't available since 2013. Wiimmfi brings back online gaming, and CTGP has custom Mario Kart Wii tracks, and is one of the best IMHO.

Urbanshadow likes this.
  3. Most-Wanted

Most-Wanted 3D OLED TV'S /o/

It's funny, all these people defending the wii are Laptop or outdated Pc users, If these guys actually had any money the Dolphin option is much better, because you don't only play the Wii, you can play PS2 and every game console below it, You just need to organise your emulator collection and use Emulation station or even Steam big screen mode and put the game shortcuts on that, just find some youtube video's

If you invest Time and Money into your Pc it will be worth the investment, you can make a Pc as much as a console as you want.

4. barronwaffles

barronwaffles GBAtemp Fan

Syria

There's a difference between 'having money' and sponging off of your parents.

Also, people listed various reasons that didn't involve being stuck with 'Laptop or outdated Pc' - it might pay to actually read next time.

Sticksandstones and niuus like this.
  5. Yoni Arousement

Yoni Arousement GBAtemp Regular

United States
    I still have a save of F-Zero GX from 6 years ago, that I need to backup via GCMM. So there's one reason I could continue to use a Wii.

migles likes this.
  6. migles

migles All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me

China
    the only reason i think about keeping a wii is gamecube card management...

Yoni Arousement likes this.
  7. newo

newo GBAtemp Fan

Jamaica
    here is the thing with high spec computers; you have to spend all your time looking for drivers and updating windows or whatever you are running. Investing in newer and newer hardware is a waste of money. old hardware is cheap and people have other things to spend their money on like kids and houses.

Sticksandstones likes this.
  8. DrayanoX

DrayanoX Advanced Member
    Newcomer

France
    Looking for drivers take 1 day max.
    And you don't have to keep upgrading your computer once it can run wii games at decent speeds

Last edited by DrayanoX, Jun 11, 2017
  9. HeavyMetalLoser

HeavyMetalLoser GBAtemp Regular

United States
    GameCube games on a Wii with Wii Component Cables vs an actual Gamecube with GC Component Cables is virtually identical in terms of video quality. The GC component cables may provide a very lightly better image, but the difference is so small most people won't even notice a difference. An improvement this small certainly isn't worth spending $400. That's not even taking into account that you can play GC games on Wii U via Nintendont, allowing you to use HDMI.

10. HeavyMetalLoser

HeavyMetalLoser GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Actually, that got me thinking. Has anyone ever tested WiiU HDMI in comparison to Gamecube and Wii Component for Gamecube games?

11. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

United States
    [​IMG]
    Some of us *could* throw down the money to buy a new PC capable of running Dolphin at 60fps and high resolution, but see no point in doing so. I don't see a need to buy a new desktop system just for Dolphin when my ThinkPad X230, Wii, and Wii U all work perfectly fine.

12. Billy Acuña

Billy Acuña GBAtemp Psycho!

Mexico
    Not to mention, in both Wii and Wii U you can emulate a lot of systems after all.

Sticksandstones and GerbilSoft like this.
  13. StarTrekVoyager

France
    False. The GC cable has a special converter, while the Wii converts multiple times and outputs a faaaaaar worse quality

14. Arm73

Arm73 GBAtemp Addict

Italy
    The only reason I still use a real Wii, is its ability to output at 240p RGB to a real CRT TV. I can emulate just about anything on my PC, but most PC don't have that ability to the best of my knowledge. Everything up to early 32bit games looks absolutely stunning on a properly connected CRT TV with authentic scanlines, color accuracy and zero input lag. Actually I'm playing 8/16 bit games exclusively on this setup nowadays and they look better then they did even in the 90's on the original consoles, as at the time I didn't know the importance of RGB cables and what is 240p. I was playing everything with composite back then LOL. So yeah, a real Wii is unbeatable for that purpouse and I'll keep mine alive for at least as long as my CRT TV will stay alive ;).
    For GC/Wii games I must admit I prefer Dolphin at 1080p and the ability to use my Xbox One S controller......

Sticksandstones likes this.
  15. GerbilSoft

GerbilSoft GBAtemp Addict

United States
    "Converts multiple times"? Wii's component output is converted once: from the GPU to the DAC. Same as GameCube component, except the DAC is located in the cable's connector instead of inside the system.

For what it's worth, I haven't noticed any significant difference between Wii component and GCN component. Both of them have color fringing due to the framebuffer using YCbCr 4:2:2, which stores only one Cb and Cr value per two pixels.

16. Sticksandstones

Sticksandstones GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Amen, brother. As long as my CRT works, if my Wii goes down, I will get another one.

The Wii is truly the CRT's best friend, not only because Smash-optimal input un-latency and 240p, but also because everything that streams YouTube/Netflix/Hulu/AmazonVideo lacks support for any video output other than digital HDMI, and I don't even want to play games when the input latency is as terrible as it is on some HDTVs.
    Besides, my CRT is brighter, darker, and more colorful than my LCD computer monitor. Its luminosity isn't badly fricked at any and every viewing angle--the picture is consistently visible for everyone whose eyes contact the screen without brightness/contrast aberration.

Arm73 likes this.
  17. Ryccardo

Ryccardo watching Thames TV from London

Italy
    If you configure your emulator for upscaling and stuff, then it's by definition not accurate anymore to the original hardware... and no emulator will ever emulate the look and feel of the original

18. Sticksandstones

Sticksandstones GBAtemp Regular

United States
    That's the whole idea.
    No one says Dolphin's Wii emulation is cycle-accurate.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - reason, actual,