Hacking Is the Wii DVD laser pretty durable?

Blasingame

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I want to try out one of my home movie on a DVD I burned. It's a Ridata DVD-R 4.7 GB was wondering if the Wii laser wouldn't stress out oo much because of the disc medium. I remember the PS2 lasers would burn out from using discs of the wrong dye. Is this the same with the Wii's laser?

mrdavie

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Blasingame said:
I want to try out one of my home movie on a DVD I burned. It's a Ridata DVD-R 4.7 GB was wondering if the Wii laser wouldn't stress out oo much because of the disc medium. I remember the PS2 lasers would burn out from using discs of the wrong dye. Is this the same with the Wii's laser?

I had to bite my tongue there from asking the obvious
ph34r.gif

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
The laser is NOT that long lasting, as many replacements have been sold already(ask anyone that sells them, they sell lots), some seem lower quality than others. If your Wii can't play original DL games for example, your laser will die after a couple of years (1-2) heavy use.

The weak link in the chain though is the dvd drive motor, some of these have been know to break within a few weeks of people getting a new wii, but Nintendo seems to have fixed that problem in newer Wiis.
You get some people asking about noise from the drive, soon enough it dies, so if your drives making a lot of noise start using HDD for games imho.

I had a launch day Wii and the motor died really quickly, but like I said N has fixed it in newer Wiis.

For movies etc you should consider using HDD, SMB or SD over DVDs.

I'm not trying to scare just being honest. This is all easily checkable by seeing how many replacement parts are sold.

metroid4life14

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I've switched over to HD as well, backing up all of my legit games to save my laser. Now I just have to hope that my HD lasts!

vegemikee

Trophies
XP
Country
my wiis laser started working up when i discovered that usb loaders could dump my games. then i realised it wasnt very healthy
tongue.gif
so now i use other peoples wiis to do that job heh

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: https://i.imgur.com/bG1pQld.mp4 +1