Hardware Homebrew GCN How to properly burn a disc for Swiss?

Gallaer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So I got my Gamecube Modchipped successfully and can play my Japanese Gamecube Games. I adjusted the laser the most I could without burning it out. I'm pretty confident that I did something wrong when burning the mini dvd r I used for Swiss. I used Imgburn and this disc. Not sure what happened or what went wrong. I did burn the correct region iso of Swiss. Is this what the inside of the disc should look like? The error the Gamecube gives is the generic an error has occurred message.
1658602948482.png

Any tips for how to successfully burn a mini dvd r for Swiss? Any options in imgburn I have to change?

((No I don't want to use Picoboot.))

aoikurayami

dysfunctionally intimidating
Trophies
XP
Country
Romania
That sure brings me back.

Just like here, I recall using the "slowest speed" imgburn setting.
IMGBURN INSTRUCTIONS:
Load up the image and select the lowest write speed possible for your selected media. Make sure "Finalize Disc" is checked and click Burn.

Do you have r\w disks ? If so, I'd suggest using em for experimentation, b4 burning actual disks.

(Gawd, I miss lightscribe for disklabels. That looked so clean. Printing disklables is ok, but lightscribe was so wonderful)

Gallaer

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That sure brings me back.

Just like here, I recall using the "slowest speed" imgburn setting.
IMGBURN INSTRUCTIONS:
Load up the image and select the lowest write speed possible for your selected media. Make sure "Finalize Disc" is checked and click Burn.

Do you have r\w disks ? If so, I'd suggest using em for experimentation, b4 burning actual disks.

(Gawd, I miss lightscribe for disklabels. That looked so clean. Printing disklables is ok, but lightscribe was so wonderful)
How do you check the slowest speed?

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Normally a good idea to use rewriteable discs. I would have wasted hundreds of CDs in the last months.
But for consoles… they will hardly ever read them. For even trying on a GC, we must be sure DVD-R or DVD+R (with booktype set to DVD-ROM) work in the particular drive.
====

As for the slow speed advise: I doubt this has any impact nowadays and currently available recordable media is actually incompatible with slow speeds like 1x. The DVD writer will read all information from ADIP and only offer writing speeds that are supported on the blank disc.

GameCube are very picky with burned DVDs. I've one that won't read them at all despite my backups are known to work in two other GC and in Wii consoles.

((No I don't want to use Picoboot.))
Why not? As soon as I'm able to do anything, I'll give this a try as well for on an unmodded console. It is certainly an upgrade compared to the XenoGC. Future proofing our consoles is a good idea in my opinion. The consoles will most likely outlast the drives/lasers.

Reactions: aoikurayami

RetroGen

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Never had much success with DVD-RWs in the Gamecube; the GC laser is pretty picky and RWs don't reflect much light. Also, the slowest speed might not be the best. With my Xeno GC cube, I found 8x generally produced reliable discs, though that may depend somewhat on media and burner.

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Never had much success with DVD-RWs in the Gamecube; the GC laser is pretty picky and RWs don't reflect much light. Also, the slowest speed might not be the best. With my Xeno GC cube, I found 8x generally produced reliable discs, though that may depend somewhat on media and burner.
There are just too many contradicting advises regarding speed setting of CD/DVD writers. Does it matter or not? Does it still matter... or not? Many of the "burn slow" advises are very old, but get repeated all over again since 1998 or something like this.

Currently available DVD-R won't even support going below 4x or sometimes not below 8x. Different writers will sometimes offer different settings for the same media (example: newer writers rarely support going below 16x for CD-R, while older will happily write on the same discs with 8x or 4x).

My own experiences show little to no obvious difference when writing discs with newer (less than 15 years old) writers and readily available discs (CD and DVD) regardless of the settings. Once it gets a little cooler on the attic, I might make some systematic tests with my Plextor PX-760A. Sadly that thing is pretty old and worn. hard to get Plextors for reasonable price.

The only obvious difference is that speeds over 16x (CD) and over 4x (DVD) [exact number would be higher than 6.4x since this is corresponds with maximum rotation speed on common drives*] are recorded in CAV (constant angular velocity) rather than CLV (constant linear velocity). CAV means the drive goes to a high rotation speed and keeps it constant over the disc which means the reading/writing gets faster the further the optical pickup moves from inner to outer part.
In CLV mode the rotation speed is gradually reduced to keep the reading/writing speed constant across the disc. You can see this on an old audio CD player with transparent case: The disc spins much slower on the last tracks of a long album.
No idea if burn quality is better/worse/equal when comparing CAV/CLV.
========

When doing experiments with consoles there will always be a few wasted discs. I've wasted about five mini DVD-R for GC stuff.
Just try multiple speeds, media brands and burners. Should not be a problem since CDs/DVDs are not expensive (as long as you are not trying to get old Kodak Gold CD-R like @Alexander1970 :creep: I also want some of these.)

I don't see the point of spinning the discs so fast to save a few seconds when writing (they can't get to that speed reading). The only area of application is maybe a fast DVD duplicating machine with lots of drives and a robotic arm that feeds discs into the writers. But if you need that much copies, you should contact a CD/DVD pressing company anyway.

• Love
Reactions: Alexander1970

Alexander1970

XP not matters.
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Good Morning.:)

(as long as you are not trying to get old Kodak Gold CD-R like @Alexander1970 :creep: I also want some of these.)

Hehehe....😊
I have only used 1 Piece....I have some more.....I could send......🤣💖

I have looked back how many Verbatim Mini DVD-R´s I have burned (all with ImgBurn and max.2x Speed) for the GameCube.
All of them are still working...I think

I also found the "other" miniDVD-R´s I have used (TDK and...I do not know what´s the other Brands....)
And I have never used miniDVD-RW´s....
Later,one of my Gamecubes was literally "raped" with a "Do it yourself Fullsize Drive Mod"...... No, I don't have it anymore and there are no more Pictures of it...a bit of dishonorable History on my Part.

And also one Thing about Summer and Temperature:
I remember with Horror the Summers,when I have used my GameCube(s).
None of them is really working great with that miniDVD-R´s.....many,many DRE´S Screens...

That´s why I finally decided to buy an ModChip for one GameCube....and then,a few Months later,I "turned" for the Wii.:)
Sold the chipped GameCube and I was happy now.

GameCube was one of the most expensive Homebrew "Console Adventure".
I never had CD / DVD reading Issues with the PlayStation 1 or 2 nor with the Dreamcast
(ok,that comes later and my first GDemu Experience was also "expensive",but that´s an other Story....).
XBox was no Thing with the HDD,so not really expensive Solutions needed...

I really appreciate the SWISS Homebrew,that is an really great Homebrew History.
For me....it was Fun with the Action Replay / Swiss Thing on the real Gamecube,but honestly,I am very glad,this is over.

Have a cool
ventilator.gif
and very nice Day,my Freinds.😊

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have only used 1 Piece....I have some more.....I could send......🤣💖
Stop trying.
It. Won't. Work.
I really appreciate the SWISS Homebrew,that is an really great Homebrew History.
For me....it was Fun with the Action Replay / Swiss Thing on the real Gamecube,but honestly,I am very glad,this is over.
For the most GC things a Wii (RVL-001 model will do). There is Game Boy Player and the fact that playing on the original console is something very special (we could just emulate virtually everything from that era anyway).

Too bad that self-booting discs will stay a dream for most consoles. (Dreamcast MIL-CD loophole, PS2 DVD-Video player vulnerability -- but even these aren't true replicas of original discs). Somehow it would be deeply satisfying to have an unmodified console booting backups and homebrew discs.
========

There aren't many offers for mini DVD-R left. Media Range (my XenoGC GameCube seems to like them), sometimes TDK. Verbatim are mostly gone as the often recommend Ritek.

Full-sized case modding gives many additional options, but I'd personally rather not try the DIY method. In the long run PicoBoot will have to replace the DVD drive (for unlucky people like me that don't own a GC Loader).

@Gallaer Please boot Swiss with another method and try mounting your DVD-R -- this way we can find out if the drive even reads it. It is mostly trial and error. If you have DVD+R (unlikely for mini), don't forget bitsetting / booktype to DVD-ROM.

• Love
Reactions: Alexander1970

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pissing in a pee bottle