Is it possible to download a game update in emunand, then use the update in classic?

Discussion in '3DS - Flashcards & Custom Firmwares' started by CoolFangs, Jan 26, 2015.

1. CoolFangs
    OP

CoolFangs Member

Newcomer
    Dec 14, 2014
    United States
    Michigan
    So my brother has a 3DS currently on 8.1, planning on getting a Gateway soon. However in the meantime he'd like to be able to play Smash on it. The problem right now is I tried to set up the emunand to update the game from the eshop using my Gateway, then restarted into classic mode. The problem seems to be that the 3DS still isn't recognizing that I downloaded the update while in classic mode. Am I doing something wrong or does this just not work?

2. Dartz150

Dartz150 GBATemp Official Lolicon Onii-chan™

May 5, 2010
    Mexico
    On a Strange Journey
    I'm on the same boat, I just downloaded the update on emuNAND and will update my sysNAND to 8.1 using the cartdrige itself (I keep rolling bakc between 8.1~4.2 using Gateway Nand restore tool), I will post results, BTW both of my Nands are linked.

3. iViperz

iViperz GBAtemp Regular

Jan 7, 2015
    As far as I'm aware, the update should wrk without question but the update needs to be the same region as your console region.
    Make sure that the region is correct and you shouldn't have any problems

4. codychaosx

codychaosx GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 15, 2009
    United States
    Wisconsin
    Couldnt you use an update .cia in sysnand?

5. pokemoner2500

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    My updates work in sysNand so idk what your issue is...

6. The Real Jdbye

The Real Jdbye Always Remember 30/07/08

GBAtemp Patron
    The Real Jdbye is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Mar 17, 2010
    Norway
    Alola
    Classic Mode is also emuNAND, so it should work without problems.

7. pokemoner2500

pokemoner2500 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Aug 14, 2013
    United States
    What I suggest you do since his DS is on 8.1 is download the update and play in sysnand, works for me :)

8. thorasgar

thorasgar Checkout my evil Soon-in-ator™

Jul 3, 2010
    United States
    First make sure the update is the same region as the game as already mentioned. Is smash a cart, rom or cia? Since you are playing from classic mode I assume it is a cart.

Try getting the update from in-game while in classic mode and see if that works.

There are places you can download the update and install it as a cia with dev menu or BBB, but that should not be necessary.

You could try what pokemoner2500 said and that should also work but is not really a long term solution. There is a problem that needs to be addressed.

Another step is to backup everything including emunand using the emunand tool and then start with a fresh emunand and see if that solves the problem.