Is it even worth it to get a PS5 anytime soon?

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Jumping from cbm64 to the cbm amiga,

The c64 had a 1975 cpu, designed to replace TTL in cash registers etc, when it was released in 1982 for $595.
The Amiga had a 1979 cpu, designed to replace mainframes, when it was released in 1985 for $1,285.

That is kinda like comparing an i7 to an atom from three years earlier.

Commodore had a huge margin on the c64 & pretty much nothing on the Amiga 1000. The cost reduced A500 fixed that in 1987, but soon the c64 was $99 as it was so cheap to make.

While the ps5 is an evolution of the ps4 pro, it's a bit faster at loading, a bit faster at rendering etc. There just isn't the room for improvement there was in the 80's

Last edited by smf,
Reactions: schatzi24

smf

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I hope Sony will make a PS5 Slim. They did it with ALL previous PlayStations, even the PSX!
Hope the chances aren't 'slim' that Sony makes a PS5 Slim.
They probably will make a slim.

I bought a ps5 because I figure we might get not get many shots at a hack.

I may have jumped the gun, but it might turn out like the switch.

Sworly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say yeah, they're worth living without, especially with the cost and stress that entails with getting one, but I made the grave mistake of buying FFVII Remake years back, and my wife randomly played it on a whim and is Cloud Strife obsessed now, so I got them one so they could play Intergrade (which is dogwater logic that it's exclusive to PS5).

Reactions: godreborn

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have ff 7 remake+intergrade as well, but I haven't played it yet. just finished tales of arise, now playing dragon quest xi with about 9 or 10 hours so far. that one I'm playing on the switch.

Reactions: Sworly

Sworly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have ff 7 remake+intergrade as well, but I haven't played it yet. just finished tales of arise, now playing dragon quest xi with about 9 or 10 hours so far. that one I'm playing on the switch.
My wife seemed to like it, despite it being super short. Of course, right after finishing it, they went right back to the main campaign for their third playthrough; at least they're making sure I get my money's worth out of a SQEX game for once LOL

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if that's only midgar, I'm surprised that they managed to stretch it out as much as they did. I mean midgar in the original is only like 3 hours.

Reactions: Sworly

Sworly

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
if that's only midgar, I'm surprised that they managed to stretch it out as much as they did. I mean midgar in the original is only like 3 hours.
Oh yeah, absolutely. They did a pretty decent job in making the Midgar section fairly fleshed out, with side quests, tons of dialogue, and filler. It still feels like a fairly full-sized game, even if it's clear they sort of shat the bed when it comes to equipment/builds for the next few games (especially if you don't transfer over save data).

Glyptofane

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Not really. The PS5 version of Tales of Arise is the only non-PS4 game I've played on it which is good and all, but probably could have been played without much difference on PS4 and still even has texture pop-in that I first noticed in the PS4 demo. I'm sure I'll get around to getting more out of the console eventually anyway.

Reactions: Marc_LFD

raging_chaos

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The amount of time I save not having to look at a loading screen and just playing the game is my biggest plus point from this generation.
It's balanced out by the amount of time you have to spend staring at the download progress for those Day 1 patches.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The thing that kinda sucks is copying the game first before you can play which can take 30 minutes. Even if it says enough has been copied, there's really no way to tell. I was trying to play King of fighters xv, and even though it said enough had been copied, I couldn't initiate any option after the title screen until it was completely copied. If you put the game on an external hdd, it can't be played, and if you put the game back in without copying the game back to the internal ssd, it will try copying it again with no way out of it. Plus, the ssd might hold 8 games, that's it, unless you buy a super expensive nvme ssd expansion disk. Don't get me wrong, the system is good, but it's damn frustrating at times.

RivenMain

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With shortages on chips and the ps5's general unavailability. It doesn't make too much sense to roll out a pro version. I'd give it another year, maybe two at least. We're still getting ps5 games released for ps4. Graphics will look nicer when their designed purely for ps5 and not with ps4 2013 graphics in mind.

micp

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
It's balanced out by the amount of time you have to spend staring at the download progress for those Day 1 patches.
haha, that's on any system now though and probably any system since the PS4.

I will leave my PS5 on standby and it'll download the patches and whatever else. I probably benefit from the fact I have decent internet speeds also. I can imagine it being a pain with anything less.

godreborn

Welcome to the Machine
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
where are all the ps5 only games seen about 4
so think ill wait
I haven't seen many (only own one, ratchet and clank), but there are next to no loading times. I just recently upgraded an m2 to my laptop, since that's what it uses. it's like the size of a bloated finger, so no where near the size of an hdd or a normal ssd. I may upgrade my ps5, which is one of my main consoles, but why? when I don't play more than one game at a time? seems pointless.

Marc_LFD

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i liked Ridge racer more then GT ..ps im not a fan of the always online games
I too prefer arcade racers or even simcades than simulators.

Ridge Racer seems to have died back on the 360/PS3 when Bandai tried to reboot the series (in 2012) as a Burnout x Split/Second clone:

They were working (around 2013-14) on somewhat of a sequel of that and would be F2P:

It obviously backfired and it killed the franchise with it. 🙁

I'm not denying it's not a fun game it definitely is, it just isn't Ridge Racer. IGN stupidly said the franchise was getting "stale." 💀 And they wonder why they're despised so much.

Reactions: R3DRE111AVER

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Thank you. Hope you're in good spirits today like I am. :)