Hardware Is it bad to leave a 3DS plugged in all the time?

Kwyjor

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
What's the best thing to do with a 3DS when you're not using it? There seem to be varying answers on this subject. Is it safe to leave it plugged into an official Nintendo charger all the time, assuming the outlet is reliable? Is it better to leave it turned off and only turn it on when necessary, even if that means frequently turning it on and off? Or is it better to leave it in sleep mode and then plug it in once the battery wears down?

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What's the best thing to do with a 3DS when you're not using it? There seem to be varying answers on this subject. Is it safe to leave it plugged into an official Nintendo charger all the time, assuming the outlet is reliable? Is it better to leave it turned off and only turn it on when necessary, even if that means frequently turning it on and off? Or is it better to leave it in sleep mode and then plug it in once the battery wears down?
It was designed to be left on in the charging dock that's why Nintendo made them for

D

Deleted-236924

That being said, these types of batteries deteriorate faster when kept at high charge levels for an extended period of time. So if you want your batteries to last longer, you'll be better off leaving them at around half charge, if you aren't using it very often.

If you're using it regularly, then you should be okay with leaving it on charge whenever it's not used, as long as the charge level goes up and down on a regular basis.

Reactions: ChibiMofo
D

Deleted User

What I do for storing my 3ds for a long time is to bring up rosalina menu and charge/discharge until the percentage hits 50%. That should be the safest for storing batteries and the battery that is in your 3ds. Check the percentage every 3 months if you store it for that long.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Modern electronics and battery chargers have circuits in them so they don't continuously charge it. As long as you are using official stuff and not cheapo $1 eBay chargers, you'll be fine.

One time I used a USB charger. The system got really hot and I am never doing it again. It might have been pumping it 1 amp but that's way over 200mah. Never doing that again.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
What I do for storing my 3ds for a long time is to bring up rosalina menu and charge/discharge until the percentage hits 50%. That should be the safest for storing batteries and the battery that is in your 3ds. Check the percentage every 3 months if you store it for that long.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

One time I used a USB charger. The system got really hot and I am never doing it again. It might have been pumping it 1 amp but that's way over 200mah. Never doing that again.
I have not had issues with USB chargers personally but it is a slightly higher voltage than what the official charger provides (I believe the official charger is 4.7V), have been paying attention to make sure the console and battery don't heat up more than usual too.
Constantly keeping a lipo/li-ion battery near full charge is bad for it.

The best thing to do with any device that isn't used frequently is to check it once every few months and charge it up to around 60%. Try not to let it go below 40% charge. A near full or near empty battery being left in storage wears it out much more than a half full battery, which is why batteries are charged to around half at the factory. Also, the last 20% or so of charging puts more stress on the battery as the battery does not readily accept current when it's nearly full (which is why you may have noticed batteries always charge slower when they're nearing a full charge), the same thing applies to charging up a nearly empty battery. Of course a device that gets used frequently is hard to keep in that sweet spot of 40-60% charged but it can triple the battery life if done diligently. Even just keeping it between 20-80% will increase battery life, but I'm not sure by how much.

Reactions: Deleted-236924

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: good night