Is backward compatibility such a big deal??

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Not really, that's why I dont want the next Nintendo handheld to have backwards compatibility, mainly because it will be forced to include a 3D screen..
I don't think they would include 3D if the next console isn't going to be 3D too. They drop features in their backwards compatibility (game link cables on the DS, off the top of my head), and 3D would increase the price and be a hassle to implement so I think that if the next handheld isn't 3D in the first place, they won't bother with 3D support for 3DS games.

Rizsparky

Saiyan Prince
Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think they would include 3D if the next console isn't going to be 3D too. They drop features in their backwards compatibility (game link cables on the DS, off the top of my head), and 3D would increase the price and be a hassle to implement so I think that if the next handheld isn't 3D in the first place, they won't bother with 3D support for 3DS games.
I suppose, however some games (SM3DL) have elements within them that require some level of 3D to play so I dont know how far they could take it.

Pleng

Custom Title
Trophies
XP
Country
Thailand

Yup. Besides no 3DS games *need* the 3D to function.

Also, Somebody at Nintendo once said that their handhelds will always include 3D from now on. I can't be arsed to find the link but it was in an article where somebody was talking about what they did wrong with the 3DS. And the quote was something along the line of "...our next handhelds will still feature 3D, but it won't be a focal point, it will just be there if developers want to make use of it..."

Sean Kemp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The new Xbox needs backwards compatibility Because if I buy one, I will need two consoles connected to my television so I can play my 360 games.

Most importantly, the day will come when Microsoft will no longer support Xbox live for Xbox 360. That means no... more multiplayer for my Xbox 360 games and I will no longer be able to play any games or DLCs that require Xbox live.

I think they need to at least develop an optical drive adaptor that can connected to the new Xbox One that will allow people to play their Xbox 360 games that way and still support the games and DLCs that require Xbox live.

Sean Kemp

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Also if Xbox included a way to include backwards compatibility, that would be a huge advantage over Playstations new concole

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
The new Xbox needs backwards compatibility Because if I buy one, I will need two consoles connected to my television so I can play my 360 games.

Most importantly, the day will come when Microsoft will no longer support Xbox live for Xbox 360. That means no... more multiplayer for my Xbox 360 games and I will no longer be able to play any games or DLCs that require Xbox live.

I think they need to at least develop an optical drive adaptor that can connected to the new Xbox One that will allow people to play their Xbox 360 games that way and still support the games and DLCs that require Xbox live.
1 - The drive is the least of the worries when it comes to a lack of backwards compatibility. There have been systems that had the right drives but couldn't play the earlier games, and there have been systems that did not have the right dirv,e but could still play the earlier games (PSX on PSP is a shining example).

2 - Consoles die, and you'll need to accept that eventually. Even if the system still works, the online servers might not. Online games for the Dreamcast, PS2, and PC have gone down time and time again, there's many games you cannot play online anymore.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
I used to care about backward compatibility, but now that I collect all the consoles I've liked, it doesn't bother me. Even consoles with true hardware compatibility (like the GameCube compatibility in older Wii models), I've bought for those one or two features that I prefer (like the Game Boy Player).

And I definitely prefer the expense of the console to go into power more than into backward compatibility. Nintendo pretty much gimped the Wii U with decade-old hardware for the sake of backward compatibility, something me and countless other Wii owners could live without... not to mention that Wii are pretty cheap nowadays.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: @NinStar, I usually stop around 8 lol if someone seems legit I stop at that one. Lol