Which one do you use?

• Total voters

Sonic Angel Knight

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The more game consoles I collect, the more I notice this option in the settings. Maybe some know what this is for already but for those who don't, hope this explanation helps someone. RGB, if you can guess is a acronym for Red Blue Green. These three colors are used to make up all the colors on screens by combining different shades of them. Older game consoles had very strict limitations of them such as which colors can be used and how many can be loaded into memory. This usually lead to some bad color palettes in those old games. (Especially if you compare the different systems)

FULL RANGE

In present times, limits like that aren't a big deal anymore. Full RGB color range goes from 0-255 or in "Hex decimal" 00 to FF. FF=255 being the highest value meaning the most saturated can be a bit too strong to some sensitive eyes. Some may seen colors represented that way, pc art programs and games use it, example is #FFFFFF. These series of the letter in hex when converted to human numbers read 16,777,216. That's how many possible colors that the games can have, huge difference compared to 1985 and the NES. :ninja:

LIMITED RANGE

So if the color saturation is too strong in some cases, Limited Range may be better for you. This makes it so the color don't go too far in either direction. Instead of the lowest number being 00, minimum cap is now 16. Maximum highest number is 235. With this limit in place, the new total possible color combinations is now few million shorter. This can force darker colors to be less dark and lighter colors to be less light. I suppose as a balancing act. :P

So, with that hopefully helpful information out the way, which one do you use? I'm curious to know, I added a pole just to make it easy. The reason why I'm curious, is because when I looked it up online, it seems to be a bit biased or unanimous that the limited range option is the way to go. Naturally, my question is why... if that's considered a "Standard" why even have a option now and not sooner? I didn't consider this optional when hardware specs before the millennium was limiting such things. But I'm sure a few console generations back, we could have had this option. It just makes me curious what everyone else thinks. :unsure:

Reactions: ZipMartin

ZipMartin

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I always use full but wasn't sure of the utility of choosing limited. So I can try using it if the colors look too saturated. Thanks for the explanation

Sono

cripple piss
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
There is a reason "full" and "limited" exists, and it goes back to how video data can be transmitted over a "single" wire (composite signal + ground).

tl;dr: color 16 is black, while "color 0" is blanking. That's really it.
Edit: I'm almost correct.

The reason this option still exists most likely purely for legacy systems purposes (some pros with old gear may still need to use limited range, so the signals don't break).

So basically, if you're transmitting the signal digitally to a modern display, then go with full. If you're transmitting the signal via composite, and the hardware doesn't do range compression from 0-255 to 16-235, then you *must* go with limited.

NESdev Wiki also hints at my memory being correct about why limited range still exists in video.

Last edited by Sono,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCadcBR95oU