Homebrew Integrating a mod directly into a game's patch data?

N7Kopper

Lest we forget... what Nazi stood for.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
For a while now, I've been using SDCafiine to load cosmetic mods for Smash (basic audio stuff such as fixes for Bowser and the Kongs to sound like they do in their source material, English redub packs for Marth, Cloud, Roy ecetera) but it's kind of annoying to load a patching program for a mod that doesn't change gameplay at all, plus it stops me from using HIDtoVPad if I ever want to.

So, question in the title. If there's a documented way to do this, what would be the easiest method of implementing it and updating my game dump for compiling future mods that change the way the game plays on top of my system-installed cosmetic mods?

Reactions: aplumafreak500

aplumafreak500

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.youtube.com
XP
Country
United States
The only things I can think of are:
  • Install the mods as an update (0005000e-xxxxxxxx)
  • Install the mods as DLC contents (0005000c-xxxxxxxx)
  • Repackage the game, including your mods, with a new title ID
All of those methods will require CFW or signature patches. However, once you get into the HBL, HIDtoVPad should work with the modified title(s).

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
For a while now, I've been using SDCafiine to load cosmetic mods for Smash (basic audio stuff such as fixes for Bowser and the Kongs to sound like they do in their source material, English redub packs for Marth, Cloud, Roy ecetera) but it's kind of annoying to load a patching program for a mod that doesn't change gameplay at all, plus it stops me from using HIDtoVPad if I ever want to.

So, question in the title. If there's a documented way to do this, what would be the easiest method of implementing it and updating my game dump for compiling future mods that change the way the game plays on top of my system-installed cosmetic mods?
You can modify the files directly on NAND/USB if it only modifies files in the content folder, and it won't require sigpatches to run.

Zarklord

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can modify the files directly on NAND/USB if it only modifies files in the content folder, and it won't require sigpatches to run.
you cannot... you can replace existing files but adding any new files requires rebuilding with nuspacker and reinstalling...
source: i did this myself and had to do a install of modded content

one thing to note is that you cannot install a patch file greater than 2gb's in size I have thought that you could indeed put all custom stuff in the dlc files(since there isnt a size limit for the dlc files) but have not tested it.

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway
you cannot... you can replace existing files but adding any new files requires rebuilding with nuspacker and reinstalling...
source: i did this myself and had to do a install of modded content

one thing to note is that you cannot install a patch file greater than 2gb's in size I have thought that you could indeed put all custom stuff in the dlc files(since there isnt a size limit for the dlc files) but have not tested it.

Surely if you added new files the game wouldn't know how to read them anyway without modifying the rpx/rpls?

Zarklord

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Surely if you added new files the game wouldn't know how to read them anyway without modifying the rpx/rpls?
if that was the case doing mods for smash wouldnt actually be possible... it dynamicaly loads resources based on param files so it works that way

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.