Suggestion Increasing the quality of posts on the temp

mashers

Stubborn ape
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Following on from @Vulpes Abnocto's state of the temp thread, I've had a few ideas about how to increase the quality of postings here. These are just suggestions so anybody is of course free to disagree.
  1. Replace post count with 'like ratio'. This would divide the number of likes by the number of posts to give a score for the user. This would encourage users to make quality posts which garner likes in order to increase their like ratio rather than shitposting to increase their post count
  2. Prevent users with fewer than 100 posts from posting in the tutorials forums. I for one get fed up seeing people post questions there
  3. Remove the 'ask' feature. The postings here seem to be repetitive and of low quality. I'm not sure why this is, but I wonder if it's because some users see the 'ask' button and click it straight away without looking at the forums.
  4. Moderate the EOF. I realise that th EOF is designed to be open for any discussion, but I think it encourages shitposting which inevitably spills over to the main forums. It's a bit like a rowdy bar where people fall out into the street and keep being rowdy even though they're not in the bar any more...

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Being a mod requires certain qualities not many people have. Just being popular on a forum isn't enough. For one, the ability to remain calm when people are mad at each other (or at you) and not abuse power. Also, the ability not to take a side in a flame war debate, and ban only those that break the rules on both sides. There's more, but let's just say that being a mod is not easy.
And vins can do that!

Ev1l0rd

(⌐◥▶◀◤) girl - noirscape
Trophies
Website
catgirlsin.space
XP
Country
Netherlands
And vins can do that!
Also, one thing I forgot: Users don't like being shoehorned into it. If a user doesn't want to be a mod, then forcing it on them is considered a bad idea. Also, there is a reason why some people aren't mods, aside from the fact that they just aren't fit for it: They don't fit in well with the rest of the mod team.

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Also, one thing I forgot: Users don't like being shoehorned into it. If a user doesn't want to be a mod, then forcing it on them is considered a bad idea. Also, there is a reason why some people aren't mods, aside from the fact that they just aren't fit for it: They don't fit in well with the rest of the mod team.
K @VinsCool wanna be a mod?

Also you only joined 7,689,600 seconds before me! I KNOW MY STUFF TOO YOU KNOW!

XavyrrVaati

Hobbyist programmer?
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about something like the Steam store has? It has a multi 'like' system:
d611453588.png

That way, you can like something that's funny, but also mark a post as helpful or not helpful.
Or mark a post simply because it doesn't add anything to the discussion. Of course that might cause issues of it's own,
but if everyone did it fairly, even the occasional troll marking things wrong wouldn't affect it too much I think. /shrug

Reactions: Luglige

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
d611453588.png

That way, you can like something that's funny, but also mark a post as helpful or not helpful.
Or mark a post simply because it doesn't add anything to the discussion. Of course that might cause issues of it's own,
but if everyone did it fairly, even the occasional troll marking things wrong wouldn't affect it too much I think. /shrug
That would be absolute perfect.

Reactions: XavyrrVaati

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
That would be absolute perfect.
I agree
d611453588.png

Better than my idea xD

D

Deleted User

How to become a mod (or a better person) in 10 easy steps:

1) Be popular. This helps you become well-known to the community, otherwise, no-one will know who the hell the supers just hired! :wacko:
2) Be mature; set an outstanding example to the community like no other. Influence is a powerful tool, you know!
3) Contribute often, whether it be a game review or helping a new user out with their hacking troubles.
4) Report posts, members, and spam(bots) you know that are breaking the rules. Trust me; I imagine it will help the current mods out a massive deal! :P
5) Make useful posts and threads. This one, I feel, speaks for itself, and it also links fabulously with step 3!
6) Good/really useful site suggestions that could be easily implemented/taken on board are also a good exercise!
7) Not a step, but if you have a warning point or 2 intact to your account (I admit to still having a warning point from last year, lmao), it could already kill your chances. :/
8) (Optional, but recommended) Be humerous; have a lot of likes in your like count from past jokes and gags (NOT SILLY MEMES! :angry:). This can also get your popularity and number of fans up!
9) More for the former/current Mag/Contributor Staff of today, but that job of yours may also get you a nice spot in the moderator business, as you have had (or will have had) plenty of experience in a job on this site, therefore I am personally sure that you will have no sweat at doing another job on here...... unless contributor/reporter work is either easy-ass/tiring in the first place! :P
10) The most important one in my books: - Follow and highly respect the rules! Just like step 7, not respecting 'em can easily kill your chances for the job, and you will more-than-likely net yourselves the negatives instead of the positives. Don't be off-topic all the time, don't link to or name warez or warez sites intentionally, don't constantly troll/flame/bash users just because they posted something noobish, you name it...

I hope this will help users come to their senses in the next few months and years to come! ;)

Reactions: Ev1l0rd and Luglige

BurningDesire

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How to become a mod (or a better person) in 10 easy steps:

1) Be popular. This helps you become well-known to the community, otherwise, no-one will know who the hell the supers just hired! :wacko:
2) Be mature; set an outstanding example to the community like no other. Influence is a powerful tool, you know!
3) Contribute often, whether it be a game review or helping a new user out with their hacking troubles.
4) Report posts, members, and spam(bots) you know that are breaking the rules. Trust me; I imagine it will help the current mods out a massive deal! :P
5) Make useful posts and threads. This one, I feel, speaks for itself, and it also links fabulously with step 3!
6) Good/really useful site suggestions that could be easily implemented/taken on board are also a good exercise!
7) Not a step, but if you have a warning point or 2 intact to your account (I admit to still having a warning point from last year, lmao), it could already kill your chances. :/
8) (Optional, but recommended) Be humerous; have a lot of likes in your like count from past jokes and gags (NOT SILLY MEMES! :angry:). This can also get your popularity and number of fans up!
9) More for the former/current Mag/Contributor Staff of today, but that job of yours may also get you a nice spot in the moderator business, as you have had (or will have had) plenty of experience in a job on this site, therefore I am personally sure that you will have no sweat at doing another job on here...... unless contributor/reporter work is either easy-ass/tiring in the first place! :P
10) The most important one in my books: - Follow and highly respect the rules! Just like step 7, not respecting 'em can easily kill your chances for the job, and you will more-than-likely net yourselves the negatives instead of the positives. Don't be off-topic all the time, don't link to or name warez or warez sites intentionally, don't constantly troll/flame/bash users just because they posted something noobish, you name it...

I hope this will help users come to their senses in the next few months and years to come! ;)
So then shouldn't I be a mod :unsure:

Luglige

hiatus
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Last edited by Luglige,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A0FyqCEfD0E