Hacking Idea: When Wii U is hacked, port a Wii emulator to it for HD Wii gaming

the_randomizer

The Temp's official fox whisperer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The WiiU already upscales the vWii to 1080p

No it doesn't output to true HD, not in the same way Dolphin scales the resolution. Wii games are fixed at 480p, the Wii U cannot render higher than the game were specified to be at. The only reason Dolphin does it is because the actual resolution is being rendered at 1080p internally and not by a TV. The HDTV does the scaling, but it still isn't full HD.

Pretty sure the vWii can't make games look this crisp

NUpIZyS.jpg

Yeah, didn't think it could.

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well I don't think it's scaling it. I believe it's actually rendering it out at that resolution

Oh? Then why does Dolphin look so much clearer while the jaggies are still visible in the vWii mode? That isn't truly rendered beyond its original 480p specifications. The TV "scales" it to match a 1080p signal, but the game itself isn't high definition. The games don't look any better. That still proves my point that vWii could never look as good as how Dolphin renders true HD.

Dolphin renders the resolution in multiples of the Wii's natural resolution of 640 x 480, so 1080 x 1920 isn't too hard to render at. The vWii doesn't render the graphics this way, hell, the GPU can't render and output the graphics this way.

Quote from http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-/62190933
"The dolphin can render the actual game at various multiples of the natural resolution. At 2x native resolution the game is around 1080p. As the Wii games often have high(er) resolution textures than are rendered to sample from it makes everything look much clearer, and the models look much more defined. Furthermore you can run anti-aliasing (which removes jaggies). There are also some lighting/shading/filter enhancements/alternate methods (I love the disable fog option), but they can have compatibility issues."

winmaster

Weird Kid Who Still Plays Pokemon
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
nintenpc.tripod.com
XP
Country
United States
Well I don't think it's scaling it. I believe it's actually rendering it out at that resolution

No, its been proven that the Wii U upscales Wii content to 1080p by using nearest neighbor. This is a very poor way of doing the upscaling, and I think Nintendo really dropped the ball by choosing to go that route.

EDIT: Sorry, the_randomizer beat me to it.

Reactions: SuzieJoeBob

kp_centi

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Oh? Then why does Dolphin look so much clearer while the jaggies are still visible in the vWii mode? That isn't truly rendered beyond its original 480p specifications. The TV "scales" it to match a 1080p signal, but the game itself isn't high definition. The games don't look any better. That still proves my point that vWii could never look as good as how Dolphin renders true HD.

Dolphin renders the resolution in multiples of the Wii's natural resolution of 640 x 480, so 1080 x 1920 isn't too hard to render at. The vWii doesn't render the graphics this way, hell, the GPU can't render and output the graphics this way.

Quote from http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/631516-/62190933
"The dolphin can render the actual game at various multiples of the natural resolution. At 2x native resolution the game is around 1080p. As the Wii games often have high(er) resolution textures than are rendered to sample from it makes everything look much clearer, and the models look much more defined. Furthermore you can run anti-aliasing (which removes jaggies). There are also some lighting/shading/filter enhancements/alternate methods (I love the disable fog option), but they can have compatibility issues."

Yes, I must have said it funny. I'm saying that the vWii upscales to 1080p, but still being rendered in it's native resolution. While Dolphin can be made to render at 1080p
The guy a few posts back said that he wished the WiiU upscales at 1080p, which it does. :)

the_randomizer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yes, I must have said it funny. I'm saying that the vWii upscales to 1080p, but still being rendered in it's native resolution. While Dolphin can be made to render at 1080p

That makes more sense. The HDTV and HDMI cable artificially scales it to 1080p without having the GPU actually render it at 1080p. I personally want to play the Wii games on the Wii; it looks too jagged on the vWii.

Raqib

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.twitch.tv
XP
Country
United States
Okay seriously, that shit is fucking annoying. Let's be honest, PS4? Upgraded PS3. Xbox 360? Just an upgraded Xbox.

You are one of the most uneducated individuals on the planet. The Wii U is an upgraded Wii. That is the case for most Nintendo consoles.

The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 are their own consoles, made completely from the ground up.

You are one of the most uneducated individuals on the planet. The Wii U is an upgraded Wii. That is the case for most Nintendo consoles.

The PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 are their own consoles, made completely from the ground up.
your the one who is uneducated with that troll response if you think the wiiu is an upgraded wii. i do have to thank you though it's been a long time since i got to use this meme :rofl:
fruitcake.jpg

1xaj5.jpg

I didn't know you were a stand up comedian, because you always give me a good laugh. Props to the positive attitude :rofl2::rofl2:

Or have real fun, quote Arnold Swarzannegar stuff, "You lack discipline!", "Stop whining", "You idiot", "You son of a bitch!" Lol. I can see kids running and telling for that. I have not even played on there much. See ramblings about Zelda, or some random stuff here and there. What a jerk I could be. "Nintendo is very strict"? I would be permanently banned.

Been banned from forums; insulting mods in Russian WILL be figured out. It was worth it though.

Its ridiculous, it's making me not even want to go on Miiverse, since I obviously can't say ANYTHING without it being considered offensive...
Yeah, surprised homeland security did not question you, or put you on the terror watch list (created a reaction, which they consider to be terror), ah, your chat disabled for a month if not permanently.

Reactions: the_randomizer

Ray Lewis

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Lol, this is still going on? Can we focus on Wii U stuff, like Linux with three cores running? Or maybe taking starting point and following it along to play? So many "experts" working only on Wii or GC stuff.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
your the one who is uneducated with that troll response if you think the wiiu is an upgraded wii. i do have to thank you though it's been a long time since i got to use this meme :rofl:
~
The WIi U is an upgraded Wii. In fact, here...
http://fail0verflow.com/blog/2013/espresso.html
Marcan explains how to access some Wii U resources from vWii mode, because vWii mode runs 'natively'.

Reactions: driverdis

ddrrmm

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
no they aren't

go research the hardware and find out yourself...instead of laughing at someone for posting the right info while your the one saying dumb shit ...lol

Arm73

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The WIi U is an upgraded Wii. In fact, here...
http://fail0verflow.com/blog/2013/espresso.html
Marcan explains how to access some Wii U resources from vWii mode, because vWii mode runs 'natively'.
Thanks, that was a good read.
I think whoever is interested in piracy, should simply go back to good old modchips.
Hackers are tired of working for free and being constantly harassed by pirates, considering the valid point that there are other viable options out there to run homebrew, I can't really blame them.

With the comeback of modchips, people who really want to pirate games on their Wii U will have to take an extra step and buy a modchip ( I'm sure we'll see more then one model coming soon ).
That would be a healthy thing to do for the system IMO.
Modchip producers will have the incentive to produce the best/cheapest modchip yet, site like GBAtemp will flourish with reviews of the latest feature rich modchips ( like the good old times ), forums will grow with people interested in the subject and doing research on it, users will make a buck or two offering to mod sytems for the rest of us not skilled enough to do it, computer shops could have a backroom where unofficially console modding will happen, and Nintendo will finally sell more hardware too !

Everybody has a slice of the pie.That's the best motivation in the world.
Oh and that would prevent cheap noobs to freely run a hackmii installer on their machine and start to pirate.
If you really want piracy, you'll have to invest some money into it,and some people might just think it's too much trouble to be bothered with and will stick with cheap used games.
And I think by going that route, there will be growth in system and software sales as well, as piracy would be possible but not openly accessible to the masses do and will be kept at acceptable levels.

I said it before and I'm convinced that the main reason we didn't see a proper hack for the DSi or 3DS is also flashcart related.
If they hack it, people will want to be able to run stuff from the standard SD card slot, who would want to buy a flashcart for it ?
No flashcart sale=nobody makes money, no GBAtemp review, no mod chip stores,no affiliation,no interest.

It's a profit deal ;)

n1ckn4m3

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
so i guess the ps3 is just an upgraded ps2 and 360 an upgraded xbox than?

Quite the contrary. The architecture of the PS3 is absolutely nothing like the PS2, which is why in order to have backwards compatibility, they basically built a separate PS2 inside the PS3 in the launch models. They then polished off a passable software emulator and used that for a generation or two of the hardware before ultimately giving up and cutting all of the PS2 hardware and software out of the PS3. Anyone who has spent even 30 seconds looking into the architecture of these two consoles would understand that they are entirely different. The PS3 uses a PPC cored Cell processor, the PS2 used a custom RISC CPU developed by Toshiba that Sony called the 'Emotion Engine'. I don't even want to begin discussing the difference between PPC architecture and RISC architecture.

Same goes for the Xbox vs the Xbox360. The Xbox was an x86 Pentium III based console, where the Xbox360 was a PPC based console. If that alone doesn't indicate to you how different the consoles are (in-order operation vs. out-of-order operation execution by the CPU), then .... *facepalm*

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    The NES version was not a bad conversion
    +1
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea true, but using a wheel and pedals for gas/brake was awesome feature back in the day.
    Not sure if that or RC Pro AM was my favorite NES racing game... hmmmm
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea I loved the rc pro am games
    @SylverReZ, RC Pro AM was made by Rare, and that explains why I liked it. Just learned the other day about a game I loved that was made by Rare and I was surprised lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I was playing need for speed remastered and said to myself this is a nice Forza remaster
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_video_games_developed_by_Rare Not all of them are awesome but man the hits on that list.
    Oh snap Super Offroad was by them too? lol damn
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    Today I learned that the creators of the Donkey Kong games also made Sea of Thieves
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    why do i feel the sudden urge to start singing pirate's scorn from the donkey kong country cartoon?
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Are you being for real, cause that's hard to believe, DK is Nintendo and made in japan, Sea of thieves was from Microsoft, in America. I'm not calling you a liar, just didn't know.
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Ok yes they were both made by Rare, but DK was from Rare back then, Rare now is owned by MS. So makes since.
    +1
    They even developed a LJN game.... lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It was pretty rare
    I wonder what deal with Satan LJN worked to get Rare to make that one...
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    I remember couple years ago, they announced they were working on a Perfect Dark remake, wonder what ever happen with that?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It went into the darkness
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Me and buddies used to play the hell out of Perfect Dark on N64, that and Goldeneye, was the first real PvP shooter games I remember
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    4-way split screen on a tiny 19" TV, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you share joysticks also
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Nuh we had the 4 controller add on thingy for n64. Duh I just got your joke, lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    So you touched ends
  • BigOnYa @ BigOnYa:
    Yea, but being in the boy scouts, they forced us to
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Yea, but being in the boy scouts, they forced us to