Idea for DS roms to cia

Discussion in '3DS - Homebrew Development and Emulators' started by ProfessorAzazael, Jul 9, 2016.

1. ProfessorAzazael
    OP

ProfessorAzazael Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2016
    United States
    So if i am completely wrong please let me know as i am not well versed in 3ds software/hardware and the like but i believe i may have come up with an idea for installing ds roms as a cia for those with custom firmware. From what i have heard is the GBA virtual console isn't actually a virtual console but the rom itself running in a slowed state similar to when you ran a gba game on the ds and when you run a ds game in the 3ds, a "GBA mode" if you will. if this is true then using the same way that we create gba cia games for install onto 3ds CFW then shouldn't a ds game work the same? I know to just get the ds flash cart and am currently using the r4i but i just had the idea.

2. Davidosky99

Davidosky99 Eevee :3

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    NOPE, IT DOESN'T WORK LIKE THAT

3. I pwned U!

I pwned U! GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    I pwned U! is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2013
    United States
    This will not work.

The Cringe, nxwing and Davidosky99 like this.
  4. TheGreek Boy

TheGreek Boy GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jan 9, 2016
    Greece
    Behind you.
    NOOOOOO YOU CANT
    U CAN USE THE DS FORWARDER I THINK

I pwned U! likes this.
  5. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    That will not work because that's just not how things work. Please just buy a flashcart.

6. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    It's not as easy as you think or it would have already been done. Stick to the r4i. ;p

And you're in for a beating with this thread - we get one about every two days :lol:

nxwing and I pwned U! like this.
  7. Davidosky99

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    ^ >/thread

8. Wizardkoer

Wizardkoer Wii Veteran

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    It's funny how people said DS roms will never come to the 3DS because emulation is impossible, or "it doesn't wok like that". But it only took one person to change that and show it is possible. So people don't say simply "it doesn't work that way" or "not possible". There's always a way.

I'm probably gonna get a lot of hate for this with some tech savvy reason but remember about 3DeSmume. So shut the fuck up.

EDIT: It might happen, might not, and remember emulation speeds are always shit so best thing is to buy a flashcart.

Last edited by Wizardkoer, Jul 9, 2016
  9. I pwned U!

I pwned U! GBAtemp Advanced Fan

GBAtemp Patron
    I pwned U! is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Jun 14, 2013
    United States
    He already has one.

The Cringe and zoogie like this.
  10. zoogie

zoogie simple pimp tool

Nov 30, 2014
    United States
    The crazy thing is he already has a flashcart, lol. I think we're being trolled.

11. ProfessorAzazael
    OP

ProfessorAzazael Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2016
    United States
    Thank you for the quick replies, i had just seen someone explain that this was how it was being done, i still plan to use my flash cart it was just an idea to get the constant asking for such a thing to stop

12. LinkSoraZelda

LinkSoraZelda GBAtemp Advanced Maniac

Aug 12, 2015
    United States
    Land of the Rising Orange
    Flashcarts are trash.

13. Davidosky99

Banned
    Jun 7, 2015
    Porto
    you forgot the /s

nxwing and GalladeGuy like this.
  14. ProfessorAzazael
    OP

ProfessorAzazael Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 9, 2016
    United States
    Not a troll, just an idea off of something i saw earlier while researching how to make gba roms to cia.

zoogie likes this.
  15. TheDreamLord

TheDreamLord GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jun 8, 2011
    Ireland
    People thought that was impossible, which to a large part it still is. The new 3DS will always struggle with some intensive DS games in emulation, it's not powerful enough.

And this IS impossible. It would require source code of the DS game to build it as a CIA, otherwise it's just emulation (or I guess, a TWL_Firm hack, which IS possible)

Xiphiidae likes this.
  16. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ ☠️Grunt☠️

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
    Because this topic is brought up every single day at least 2 to 3 times a day and is just not how the DS mode works on the 3DS.
    For starters, the DS emulator does not run through DS mode, it's a the desmume emulator, running through 3DS mode. Which is why it only works on the on New 3DS and runs like shit.
    What this person is talking about, will not work. If it could work that way, it would have been done along time ago. It's so impossible, that Nintendo had to convert the source of WarioWare Touched to a DSi version of the game to get it to launch. Which was something they could accomplish because they have the source code. So still not an option for us.

The statement wasn't directed at the OP, just the countless threads we get asking this same question.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Jul 9, 2016
  17. fikatr

fikatr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 29, 2016
    Turkey
    next to smea
    its not that easy
    edit: hey guyz i got an idea gameboy gamecube im sure we can play gacube because they both say gamr gacube confirmed

Last edited by fikatr, Jul 9, 2016
    Davidosky99 likes this.
  18. zac122

zac122 GBAtemp Fan

Sep 7, 2015
    United States
    The OP isn't asking for something that's absolutely ridiculous. Yes it's not possible, but you had no reason to do that.

@ProfessorAzazael I highly suggest you report your first post and ask a mod to close the thread before it gets out of hand.