I screwed up my CLK solder point while installing a modchip on my OLED

Dolence

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Hey guys! I'm having a bad day here...

I was installing an HWFLY 4.1 modchip for the first time on my OLED Switch and I think I will never be able to finish it anymore.
Just to give some background, I do have some experience with micro soldering. In my work sometimes I had to solder TQFP/LQFP, TSOP ICs with dozens of pins. Why not give it a try, right? I saw a couple of videos and I felt confident enough to start the task. Right at the beginning I had a hard time getting the CLK signal point (that one that need to be scraped) soldered to the flex cable. I had to redo part of the line using a thin wire. Beside that everything else went just fine. Work done, time to test it! After turning it on the led was pulsing blue and becomes solid white after a few second.
After some reading I decided to dismantle everything and recheck all the connections. And this is where all the trouble started... In the process I can't even explain how but while handling the flex I ended up with the CLK trace lifted to the point there is no more where to solder to. Is there any alternative point or should I just end my adventures and reassemble my console?

Any help will be very appreciated!

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey guys! I'm having a bad day here...

I was installing an HWFLY 4.1 modchip for the first time on my OLED Switch and I think I will never be able to finish it anymore.
Just to give some background, I do have some experience with micro soldering. In my work sometimes I had to solder TQFP/LQFP, TSOP ICs with dozens of pins. Why not give it a try, right? I saw a couple of videos and I felt confident enough to start the task. Right at the beginning I had a hard time getting the CLK signal point (that one that need to be scraped) soldered to the flex cable. I had to redo part of the line using a thin wire. Beside that everything else went just fine. Work done, time to test it! After turning it on the led was pulsing blue and becomes solid white after a few second.
After some reading I decided to dismantle everything and recheck all the connections. And this is where all the trouble started... In the process I can't even explain how but while handling the flex I ended up with the CLK trace lifted to the point there is no more where to solder to. Is there any alternative point or should I just end my adventures and reassemble my console?

Any help will be very appreciated!
Have you seen this thread?

https://gbatemp.net/threads/alt-point-clk-d-switch-oled.608254/

Looks promising…

Dolence

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Have you seen this thread?
Ok, this was useful. Somehow I managed to scrape and resold very close to the Nvidia chip. Redid all the connections directly without using the flex cable. Unfortunately it didn't went well. Now the led on hwfly blink in blue for a few seconds and turn red while the Switch screen itself goes from purple to black a couple of times.

• Sad
Reactions: binkinator

binkinator

Garfield’s Fitness Coach
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok, this was useful. Somehow I managed to scrape and resold very close to the Nvidia chip. Redid all the connections directly without using the flex cable. Unfortunately it didn't went well. Now the led on hwfly blink in blue for a few seconds and turn red while the Switch screen itself goes from purple to black a couple of times.

Here are the color codes to help yiu narrow down where to look: https://switchbrew.org/wiki/Panic_codes

Dolence

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Weird thing is... with the hwfly disconnect Switch doesn't boot anymore too... Switch screen flashing purple. May it be a corrupted nand? What can I do?

MrVtR

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Weird thing is... with the hwfly disconnect Switch doesn't boot anymore too... Switch screen flashing purple. May it be a corrupted nand? What can I do?
Switch should boot without the hwfly chip, if didn't, high chances that you got a bigger problem in your hands now

Reactions: impeeza

Dolence

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Switch should boot without the hwfly chip, if didn't, high chances that you got a bigger problem in your hands now
Tomorrow I will disconnect everything again, including dat0 adapter and see what happens. I hope it works.

irvingoh999

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Singapore
Tomorrow I will disconnect everything again, including dat0 adapter and see what happens. I hope it works.

1. Repair the Clk Point, make sure the connection that's close to the CPU (Nvidia Chip) and the Via (This connects through the board, to the EMMC Chip) is connected to each other, otherwise the switch will not boot (Black Screen most of the time)

2. Check the CMD resistor, it's value should be 4.7k (this could be what's causing your purple screen.

I recommend using 0.1mm wire to fix the connection between the via and the Cpu, while extending it to the hwfly modchip. All the best!

AstraBoy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i did something like this with my switch lite too, with a mini drill i scraped the point and added some jump wires on it and soldered it and for being sure that never happens again i added some uv glue on it. it went perfect.
remember don't just disolder every point or wire, just measure the diode values of point, gnd should be about 0.002 i guess and others should be around 0.420.

Reactions: impeeza

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    13,600 MB/s though
  • DinohScene @ DinohScene:
    I got a 980 pro iirc
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Soldigms been pretty solid
    yeh 980 pro
    good enough tbf
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    https://a.co/d/gMNhZNI never heard about them but reviews are good
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, Crucial SSDs work fine. I have one installed in my Xbox.
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    Reviews seem positive.
    I believe I had some Patriot RAM running in a computer somewhere
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    $250 is pretty solid considering
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    With the refund it'll be about $150
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    6tb nvme pc ftw
    500 GB NVMe, 750 GB
    SATA SSD 1 TB HDD
    honestly I don't play pc games
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I don't game
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Once I buy this I'll be around 20tb worth of storage tho if we're talking all my drives
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    All this crap I got and all I do is pick up the GabeDick to fiddle with his happy stick
    idk the total storage cap I have
    50 TB orso
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @DinohScene, I don't play PC games often. Mostly its all 90s-00s games.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Hm doing research quite possible my issue with this drive is bios related not detecting it fully
    run crystaldisk?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Don't think it would do much if gnome live even sees it as 2mb
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Vmd issue possibly
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Vmd issue possibly