Hacking I have an R4 SDHC, certain games take awhile to load.

basher11

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
do you have a good amount of empty space on your mirco SD?
or it might be because your SD is a slow one?

murb93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's a 4 GB Sandisk, I thought it would be ideal for the card. I'll check how much room I have on it. It has about 3 GB of the 4 left.

AlanJohn

くたばれ
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.deenextreme.com
XP
Country
Ukraine
You can even get a 32 gb card but that won't help at all. You see, pokemon games are most of the time 256 mb big, and the r4 doesn't emulate the game to load like a real card. Instead, the r4 just loads the game and since it loads such a big amount it can't load the game in 0.40 seconds. But if you REALLY want the game to load super-fast I recommend you to buy a TF card, or even better, a SCDS2.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
None of the above has really anything to do with it, aside from Basher's "or it might be because your SD is a slow one?".
The size of the card and the free space don't have any significant impact (unless your card is 100% full and it can't write the new information it needs). And there is no way that the DS can 'load 256MB' all at once, let alone a flashcart... it's just not how it works.
Also, TF (or TransFlash) is the outdated name for Secure Digital cards (the same 'SD' in MicroSD or MicroSDHC). While getting a better card could help, it's not limited to the SuperCard DSTwo, pretty much any card that isn't a clone and is maintained would work. Even an original R4 or a 1:1 R4 clone (not R4i, not R4SDHC, not III, not Ultra, not whatever) will load games fast when using Wood for a menu.

Read Speed of MicroSD/HC cards plays a role in the load time of games*. You want this high.
Random Access time is the factor for how fast the game runs and how smoothly it displays animations/video. You want this low.
Write Speed determines how quickly your game gets saved, bigger games like Pokemon are more noticable. You want this high.

*No matter how fast the read speed there are other determining factors for the load time of the game.
Sometimes certain bypasses need to be performed -- YSMenu/TTMenu comes to mind, and other times the cards loaders could just be slow.

There is somewhat of a database of cards compiled by users here:
http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Memory_Speed_...ransFlash_cards

Reactions: Reza007

murb93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thank you so much. This info has helped a lot. I think it might be my actual R4SDHC. I'm probably going to try a new one, because I was planning on doing so anyway. Where would I get an original R4? My nephew has one, but they don't know where they got it from, they bought it from a friend of there's.

twiztidsinz

Taiju Yamada Fan
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
There are no more original R4s. There are 1:1 clones, but I'd advise not buying one.

Get an AceKard2i or SuperCard DSTwo or something.
Rydian said:
1 - Don't buy R4 clones.

2 - You can't play GBA games natively unless you're on a DS/Lite and using a GBA-slot card as well, like the EZ-Flash 3-in-1. If you're on a DSi/Xl your only real choice is the Supercard DSTwo, which can emulate GBA games, but doesn't play them perfectly.

cardchart.gif

Note that the prices given are from chinese shops.
If you order from a shop in another country it's more expensive.

[*]The original R4.
NOT "R4-III Upgrade", NOT "R4-SDHC", NOT "R4i NDSLL", NOT "R4 Red", NOT "R4 King"...
NOT ANYTHING ELSE WITH "R4" IN THE NAME! JUST "R4 Revolution For DS".

The cheap card for somebody that just wants to play games on a DS/Lite.

[*]R4i Gold
The cheap card for somebody that wants to play games on a DSi with more storage.

[*]Acekard 2i
Mid-range card for people that want to play games on a DSi/XL with some extra features.

[*]EZ-Flash Vi
Higher-end card with even more features.

[*]Supercard DSTwo
Pretty much the ultimate card right now.

• DS / DS Lite
    The card will work on an original (fat) DS or a DS Lite.
  • DSi / DSi XL
    The card will work on a DSi or DSi XL as well.
  • Game Updates
    Firmware updates are what let cards play newer games, these are the life-blood of the card.
  • SDHC
    SDHC refers to SD cards larger than 2GB (gigabytes). If there's no SDHC support, you can only use SD cards up to 2GB.
  • WiFi Update
    The Acekard 2i can update it's cheats (and get minor bug fixes) over WiFi without having to connect to a computer.
  • Auto Ap Bypass
    Some carts have special features to ignore AP in most games, letting you play them without having to wait for a firmware update first. The Acekard only has partial support for this right now.
  • RTS
    The Real-Time Save (Save State) function lets you save and reload your game progress at any moment you wish.
  • In-Game Guide
    You can pull up text files and images in-game, in order to check a walkthrough or map you downloaded at any time during a game.
  • Slow Motion
    The card lets you slow down the game speed as you wish.
  • In-Game Cheats
    The card lets you create and modify cheats while the game is running.
  • Special Homebrew
    The card has multiple pieces of special homebrew, such as it's own GBA and SNES emulators, as well as text/PDF reader and video player.
  • Battery Life
    Unfortunately the DSTwo's extra CPU and RAM (which give it the special features) eat into the battery life a bit.

murb93

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I'm going to save up my money and buy a Supercard DSTwo. Thank you for all the help. It is greatly appreciated.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @BakerMan, Remember to take your meds like AncientBoi.