Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
m4x1mumrez87.neocities.org
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm planning on using reproduction cartridge shells if I do go the N-Card route, so it might turn out completely fine in that regard but I guess it's a pretty easy fix that can be entirely covered by the label if that does turn out to be the case ^^;
Reproduction cartridge shells are a hard find. I did, however, find an eBay listing from a US seller who are selling replacements (see here). But, they are incredibly overpriced. I suppose you could go with the route of creating your own with a 3D printer perhaps?

LunarPurin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Reproduction cartridge shells are a hard find. I did, however, find an eBay listing from a US seller who are selling replacements (see here). But, they are incredibly overpriced. I suppose you could go with the route of creating your own with a 3D printer perhaps?
This does sadly just seem to be the price they are. It might prove cheaper to just buy a copy of brain training and harvest the shell unless I want a full custom cartridge shell like that listing and a similar etsy listing provide.

It's not the cheapest project but it's one I kind of want to do anyway for the sheer novelty.

Reactions: SylverReZ

Apache Thunder

I have cameras in your head!
Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yeah and I still have a transparent shell that came from that lot of aftermarket shells. (The label half I used to repair my MaxMediaDock slot-1 cart). I did test the fit of the N-Card PCBs ... and not quite. The sram chip and battery kinda keep the PCB from laying flat. I noticed even the underside shell has thinned out parts where the chips are which the retail shell design wouldn't have.

Though I suppose you could use n-card shells for retail pcbs...haven't really tried that. But would be a huge waste to sacrifice a n-card for it's shell. Please don't. They are an endangered species. Poaching of n-card shells is illegal and punishable by death....

Just kidding obviously. :P

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Though I suppose you could use n-card shells for retail pcbs...haven't really tried that. But would be a huge waste to sacrifice a n-card for it's shell. Please don't. They are an endangered species. Poaching of n-card shells is illegal and punishable by death....
"For $5 a month, you could be saving thousands of cheap e-waste being disposed of. Please, adopt an N-Card today."
Thank you for listening to my TED talk. (Was joking, but it would be an interesting talk to watch and listen to.)

Yeah and I still have a transparent shell that came from that lot of aftermarket shells. (The label half I used to repair my MaxMediaDock slot-1 cart). I did test the fit of the N-Card PCBs ... and not quite. The sram chip and battery kinda keep the PCB from laying flat. I noticed even the underside shell has thinned out parts where the chips are which the retail shell design wouldn't have.
They are a pain to fit on pre-existing carts, though. Wish they were universal for other PCBs. :sigh:

LunarPurin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Just kidding obviously. :P
I think I've found my candidate for a first project. As I predicted, the cheapest option is a £3.47 500 in 1 multicart I found on Aliexpress which is a re-skinned R4.

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I think I've found my candidate for a first project. As I predicted, the cheapest option is a £3.47 500 in 1 multicart I found on Aliexpress which is a re-skinned R4.
The multicarts you see nowadays are reshelled Ace3DS+ carts with a microSD card filled with a bunch of copyrighted Nintendo ROMs. Not worth the money if they go for about £10 or £15. The microSD cards are fake, according to many, and also do not last for long after 2 months or so. Its best to buy an Ace3DS+ cart or other clone (i.e., R4i-SDHC or r4isdhc.com.cn), slap a new label onto it and place a working, genuine microSD card in.

LunarPurin

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The multicarts you see nowadays are reshelled Ace3DS+ carts with a microSD card filled with a bunch of copyrighted Nintendo ROMs. Not worth the money if they go for about £10 or £15. The microSD cards are fake, according to many, and also do not last for long after 2 months or so. Its best to buy an Ace3DS+ cart or other clone (i.e., R4i-SDHC or r4isdhc.com.cn), slap a new label onto it and place a working, genuine microSD card in.
To be honest I had thought about buying them without SD's and buying the cheapest official micro SD's I could find.
It just worked out better in every way to do it that way

anotherthing

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Burn2Slot might be better, I'm not sure. You look through the source code of it, and even though it says it supports all those different types of chip, there's only two methods based on a chip signature and then a generic method. But that's relying on about five minutes of skimming through the source I did a month ago. I didn't look at the actual methodology on the three different types, and might not even understand what I'm reading, nor do I know how similar all those chips are to one another.

TheStonedModder

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Im currently working on something like that for the supercard dsTwo. I plan on sharing the CAD files so maybe someone can modify it to work for this project as well

Its got a long way to go still though since I'm still learning to model objects, and and have done something this tiny with such tight constraints. It at least clicks into my system and reads currently however

IMG_5550.jpg
IMG_5549.jpg

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Im currently working on something like that for the supercard dsTwo. I plan on sharing the CAD files so maybe someone can modify it to work for this project as well

Its got a long way to go still though since I'm still learning to model objects, and and have done something this tiny with such tight constraints. It at least clicks into my system and reads currently however

View attachment 408310View attachment 408309
Could be improved regarding the contacts. But well done.

Burn2Slot might be better, I'm not sure. You look through the source code of it, and even though it says it supports all those different types of chip, there's only two methods based on a chip signature and then a generic method. But that's relying on about five minutes of skimming through the source I did a month ago. I didn't look at the actual methodology on the three different types, and might not even understand what I'm reading, nor do I know how similar all those chips are to one another.
GBxCart RW IMO is better than Burn2Slot honestly. Support for newer flashcarts and its easy to create your own flash templates. Burn2Slot hasn't been worked on for over a year.

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
The New Super Mario Bros DS bootleg came in for me...and it's not an N-Card or is a ancient varient of it that isn't compatible with the newer N-Card stuff like udisk and what not. No idea what would have been used to flash these. I assume those USB dongles the really old N-Cards used?

UnknownBootlegCart.jpgUnknownBootlegCart2.jpg

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Indeed the regionally confused label was a dead give away. I have another bootleg arriving with a similar error. Though I suspect it will be the same type of hardware as this one. The shell design was really close to official. And the markings on the backside were really close...if only they didn't blow it with the label. :P

I did a rom dump it was indeed the Europe rom the cart contained. So at least 90% of the label did correspond to the version of the game the label indicated it was. :P

This cart boots on my 2DS XL by the way. Assuming the rom is 1 to 1 to the Europe release it probably passes DS Cart white list checks too and will boot on non CFW'd consoles...Though I currently do not have any to test that on. :P

EDIT: Here's a photo of the backside. If it weren't for the label you'd have to look pretty closely to tell it was a fake.UnknownBootlegCart3.jpg

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Indeed the regionally confused label was a dead give away. I have another bootleg arriving with a similar error. Though I suspect it will be the same type of hardware as this one. The shell design was really close to official. And the markings on the backside were really close...if only they didn't blow it with the label. :P

I did a rom dump it was indeed the Europe rom the cart contained. So at least 90% of the label did correspond to the version of the game the label indicated it was. :P

This cart boots on my 2DS XL by the way. Assuming the rom is 1 to 1 to the Europe release it probably passes DS Cart white list checks too and will boot on non CFW'd consoles...Though I currently do not have any to test that on. :P

EDIT: Here's a photo of the backside. If it weren't for the label you'd have to look pretty closely to tell it was a fake.View attachment 409105
I've noticed that you've bought the Dora one too. :P

Reactions: Apache Thunder

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
Yeah received that the other day. Turned out to be an N-Card clone. Used a 2G (128MB) nand with 128k sram. Battery still got a good charge to it surprisingly. Already have it reflashed to be a standard N-Card. :D

Updated the xulumenu repo with modified udisk installers:

https://github.com/ApacheThunder/XuluMenu/releases

One of them can be used to install udisk to a bootleg version of N-Card clone. Note though you have to boot the updators from the cart via xmenu/udisk. Currently that requires booting udisk.nds from DSi SD via Unlaunch and hold start+select on boot to do a format. Then use GodMode9Nrio to copy xmenu files to the cart. Then you can run the installer to convert your bootleg to a working N-Card. ;)

I also included a modified version of usbnds for those who have a second n-card and the slot2 usb device. You can boot into usb safe block mode via a normal n-card by holding L+R+A+B+DPAD UP on boot then cart swap to your bootleg cart. (recommended to do this before connecting USB cable). Then flash udisk or xulumenu to cart with the app.

Last edited by Apache Thunder,

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I also included a modified version of usbnds for those who have a second n-card and the slot2 usb device. You can boot into usb safe block mode via a normal n-card by holding L+R+A+B+DPAD UP on boot then cart swap to your bootleg cart. (recommended to do this before connecting USB cable). Then flash udisk or xulumenu to cart with the app.
Demonstration can be seen here.

Reactions: Apache Thunder

Archeychen

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Hello, just fo.und this. can it turn the card to "single title mode"?

Like I just want to play one ga.me, and want my ca.rd look like a a sing.le gam.e, with the same icon

SylverReZ

Dat one with the Rez
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, just fo.und this. can it turn the card to "single title mode"?

Like I just want to play one ga.me, and want my ca.rd look like a a sing.le gam.e, with the same icon
What does your flash cartridge look like?

Apache Thunder

Trophies
Website
www.mariopc.co.nr
XP
Country
United States
There was an older USB dongle thing used for these N-Cards that could flash a single game to them and change their icon I believe. (DSFlash2 was a variant that used one) But they are super unobtainium rare. In theory we can do the same via software on DSi/3DS but the DLDI driver/write commands haven't been reverse engineered yet so at the moment we can't do that yet.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto