I have an R4 SDHC, certain games take awhile to load.

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by murb93, Feb 4, 2011.

1. murb93
    OP

Newcomer murb93 Newbie

United States
    http://www.r4sdhc.com/

That's the website

http://www.r4sdhc.com/images/rt.jpg

That's what my card looks like. Pokemon games take a little bit longer to change screens. It's no big deal, I was just curious if there is any way to fix that. I have already tried reformatting and defragmenting my microSD card. I apologize if this has been brought up before.

2. basher11

Member basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

United States
    do you have a good amount of empty space on your mirco SD?
    or it might be because your SD is a slow one?

3. murb93
    OP

Newcomer murb93 Newbie

United States
    It's a 4 GB Sandisk, I thought it would be ideal for the card. I'll check how much room I have on it. It has about 3 GB of the 4 left.

4. AlanJohn

Member AlanJohn くたばれ

Ukraine
    You can even get a 32 gb card but that won't help at all. You see, pokemon games are most of the time 256 mb big, and the r4 doesn't emulate the game to load like a real card. Instead, the r4 just loads the game and since it loads such a big amount it can't load the game in 0.40 seconds. But if you REALLY want the game to load super-fast I recommend you to buy a TF card, or even better, a SCDS2.

5. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    None of the above has really anything to do with it, aside from Basher's "or it might be because your SD is a slow one?".
    The size of the card and the free space don't have any significant impact (unless your card is 100% full and it can't write the new information it needs). And there is no way that the DS can 'load 256MB' all at once, let alone a flashcart... it's just not how it works.
    Also, TF (or TransFlash) is the outdated name for Secure Digital cards (the same 'SD' in MicroSD or MicroSDHC). While getting a better card could help, it's not limited to the SuperCard DSTwo, pretty much any card that isn't a clone and is maintained would work. Even an original R4 or a 1:1 R4 clone (not R4i, not R4SDHC, not III, not Ultra, not whatever) will load games fast when using Wood for a menu.

Read Speed of MicroSD/HC cards plays a role in the load time of games*. You want this high.
    Random Access time is the factor for how fast the game runs and how smoothly it displays animations/video. You want this low.
    Write Speed determines how quickly your game gets saved, bigger games like Pokemon are more noticable. You want this high.

*No matter how fast the read speed there are other determining factors for the load time of the game.
    Sometimes certain bypasses need to be performed -- YSMenu/TTMenu comes to mind, and other times the cards loaders could just be slow.

There is somewhat of a database of cards compiled by users here:
    http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Memory_Speed_...ransFlash_cards

6. murb93
    OP

Newcomer murb93 Newbie

United States
    Thank you so much. This info has helped a lot. I think it might be my actual R4SDHC. I'm probably going to try a new one, because I was planning on doing so anyway. Where would I get an original R4? My nephew has one, but they don't know where they got it from, they bought it from a friend of there's.

7. twiztidsinz

Member twiztidsinz Taiju Yamada Fan

United States
    There are no more original R4s. There are 1:1 clones, but I'd advise not buying one.

Get an AceKard2i or SuperCard DSTwo or something.

8. murb93
    OP

Newcomer murb93 Newbie

United States
    I think I'm going to save up my money and buy a Supercard DSTwo. Thank you for all the help. It is greatly appreciated. [​IMG]