This New Member died on Sep 10, 2014
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
>Giving Wind Waker a 10

It's like you're not even trying.

And yeah, Dynasty Warriors is shlock, but it's the most fun shlock possible. The games are also disgustingly full of content. Right now The Complete Collection of D8 XL has like 5 or 6 unique campaigns, 89 characters all with different move sets and weapons, plus Challenge Mode and Ambition Mode.

It's a constant rehash but you can't help but feel that Omega Force still cares about the franchise.
I chose Wind Waker as an example because popular opinion says it's the best, although Majora's Mask is the most genius when it comes to time. MY personal opinion says Skyward Sword is the best, but many people would disagree, and I didn't want to setup a debate. Since my comment, my expectations of Dynasty Warriors has increased some, but not by much. Its hard for me to really get excited over it. I can't see it any other way than a skin rehash.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I chose Wind Waker as an example because popular opinion says it's the best, although Majora's Mask is the most genius when it comes to time. MY personal opinion says Skyward Sword is the best, but many people would disagree, and I didn't want to setup a debate. Since my comment, my expectations of Dynasty Warriors has increased some, but not by much. Its hard for me to really get excited over it. I can't see it any other way than a skin rehash.

Popular opinion says Ocarina of Time is the best.

Drink the Bleach

This New Member died on Sep 10, 2014
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Popular opinion says Ocarina of Time is the best.
Popular opinion maybe 10 years ago... These days (atleast for the past 2 and a half years) I've been seeing much more pro-Wind Waker posts across the internet. I only played half of Wind WAker so I don't understand people's enthusiasm for it, Im just its often a top pick among fans.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
You're giving Dynasty Warriors the coolest-possible of skins, but the game still looks like Dynasty Warriors.
If CD-I Zeldas are a 1, Crossbow Training a 5, and Wind Waker a 10, then I see this game as a 6.5.
Crossbow Training earns a 5 out of 10 in your mind? And Legend of Zelda is a "cool skin"? Okay.

Anywho, Dynasty Warriors and similar games are like B-movies - they're dumb, but they're wholesome fun, and that's what counts in a video game. You don't play Dynasty Warriors to experience some sort of a wonderful story-driven narrative, you play Dynasty Warriors to bash people in the skull. A lot. I will gladly take this over yet another pseudo-remake - a fresh McDonald's cheeseburger is better than a 14-year-old, mouldy, reheated Five Guys served in a greasy, smelly paper bag.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
by9yza8y.jpg

Apparently we have a direct specifically for this game. If only they were having a direct for new games and not shit we already know about coming out in a month.

Reactions: Bimmel

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
Although all Dynasty Warriors are close to crap this one is better because they actually put some effort into it and it might be fun, but worth the full price? No. Ultimately you're just buying a repackaged game with skins from a different franchise.

I'd buy this for £15 but that's obviously not going to happen for a long while.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Popular opinion maybe 10 years ago... These days (atleast for the past 2 and a half years) I've been seeing much more pro-Wind Waker posts across the internet. I only played half of Wind WAker so I don't understand people's enthusiasm for it, Im just its often a top pick among fans.

In general there is no "consensus" that Wind Waker is the most loved, actually a lot of people hate it.

Most of the other Zelda's since Ocarina are debated, but generally Ocarina is still held up after 10 years. I don't see why, I don't like it, but that's the way it is.

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Apparently we have a direct specifically for this game. If only they were having a direct for new games and not shit we already know about coming out in a month.
Exactly. Direct for what? :mellow:

Do we get the scarf, the chest and the clock too by the way?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
This is one of the very few games coming to the Wii U that interest me - I'll definitely borrow my girlfriend's system to play this. As for all the hate, seeing that none of us played the game, it's all unwarranted and speculation at this point - perhaps the Direct will show us more of the game.
In general there is no "consensus" that Wind Waker is the most loved, actually a lot of people hate it.

Most of the other Zelda's since Ocarina are debated, but generally Ocarina is still held up after 10 years. I don't see why, I don't like it, but that's the way it is.
It's a coping mechanism.

N64 does poorly -> "Ocarina is the best gaem forever and always!"
Gamecube does worse -> "Wind Waker is the best gaem ever, ur just hatin' cuz graphics!"
Wii is a spectacular success -> "Twilight Princess* and Skyward Sword are the worst omg..."

Not that it really matters - everybody knows that A Link to the Past and the Oracle games were the best Zelda games ever. :rolleyes:

*TP was also released for the Gamecube, yes, but at that point the system was already rotting, so I assume most copies sold were Wii ones.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
As for all the hate, seeing that none of us played the game, it's all unwarranted and speculation at this point

Really you're going to believe that? If you've played Dynasty Warriors before then there you go, you've played this too, except with different skins

It's exactly as the other DWs, slash the 100+ enemies, do the same again and again. How exciting.

Nintendo should know better that we deserve high quality games not this piece of shit. I'm offended by Nintendo to be releasing this on the Wii U.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Really you're going to believe that? If you've played Dynasty Warriors before then there you go, you've played this too, except with different skins

It's exactly as the other DWs, slash the 100+ enemies, do the same again and again. How exciting.

Nintendo should know better that we deserve high quality games not this piece of shit. I'm offended by Nintendo to be releasing this on the Wii U.
You can say that about literally every single game in existence.

"Zelda? That's s*it, every single one is the same! Go to temples, use obvious items in the temples, get the Master Sword, beat villain, done! So played out!", "Pokemon? That's stupid! Every single game is the same! You catch Pokemon, go to gyms, collect badges, beat the Elite Four and you're done! Stupid, how can people spend money on this?","Mario? For god's sake, all you do is go right until you reach the right castle, it's the dumbest game ever".

Perhaps if you looked outside of your little box sometime you'd realize that there's a place for all kinds of games in this world, not just the ones that fit your narrow perception of what a game should look like. Here's why I like Dynasty Warriors - "I play as a kick-ass samurai dude and I whack hundreds of people with a sword. In the face. And I whack more and more people until I capture strategical points on the map. And then I launch an assault on the enemy base and ram my awesome samurai sword up the opposing general's rectum with my samurai skills. Awesomesauce". You may not find this fun - that means the game's just not for you. That doesn't mean it's bad though, and considering the fact that it's consistently getting sequels and spin-offs, clearly some people like it.

As for the "it's only different skins! ;O;" argument... you haven't played the game. You know absolutely nothing of the story component. Zero, zilch, nada. You're going to rag on it though because you "don't like Dynasty Warriors". Perhaps you should judge the game after you've played it or at least seen a substantial part of it, because right now you're basing your judgement on what you think the game is, not on the actual game.

Reactions: chavosaur

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I played the fucking thing, whether it's Ken's Fist of the North Star, Gundam or whatever other Dynasty Warrior shit they all come down to being the same crap with little effort put into them, I still remember how terrible it was controlling the motorbikes in Fist of the North Star was possibly even worse than Ride to Hell Retribution.

If you want to play these inferior putrid games, then go for it.

Did this game really hurt your feelings that much?

Yeah. Nintendo instead of shitting around this crap they should be working on a new Metroid.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
I played the fucking thing, whether it's Ken's Fist of the North Star, Gundam or whatever other Dynasty Warrior shit they all come down to being the same crap with little effort put into them, I still remember how terrible it was controlling the motorbikes in Fist of the North Star was possibly even worse than Ride to Hell Retribution. If you want to play these inferior putrid games, then go for it.
My only problem with what you're saying is that you're criticize a game we know next to nothing about. I'm not even kidding - aside from screenshots, some gameplay footage and the general premise, the amount of material about Hyrule Warriors is scarce beyond belief. I know it's going to be "like a Dynasty Game", that's the whole point, but I'm not going to dismiss it as "putrid and inferior" until I actually play it or see enough material about it to make a fair assessment. "Game A is sh*t because Game B and Game C are sh*t" is not a good line of argumentation in my opinion.
Yeah. Nintendo instead of shitting around this crap they should be working on a new Metroid.
At least here we somewhat agree, a new Metroid game would be quite nice.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N64 does poorly -> "Ocarina is the best gaem forever and always!"
Gamecube does worse -> "Wind Waker is the best gaem ever, ur just hatin' cuz graphics!"
Wii is a spectacular success -> "Twilight Princess* and Skyward Sword are the worst omg..."
[...]
*TP was also released for the Gamecube, yes, but at that point the system was already rotting, so I assume most copies sold were Wii ones.
Let's give people at least some benefit of the doubt here. OoT was a revolutionary game for its time. Wind Waker was dismissed by many at the time for it's graphics (though I figure today people have for the most part gotten over that and can judge the game based on it's merits, even if some of it's fans can't accept that some just didn't prefer the game itself). Twilight Princess had the problem of tacking on the waggle controls in the move to the Wii which was not the ideal way of controlling the game (and yes, many more copies were sold for Wii than GCN). Skyward Sword had became way too hand-holdy with Fi solving every damn puzzle for you without giving you a chance to think for yourself, and the way the split the world up into distinct sections without much to explore made me yearn for the freedom to ride around Hyrule Field discovering secrets.

That said, I still loved Twilight Princess (though I did have the GCN version, which I feel was the better version as the game was built with the GCN in mind), and though Skyward Sword was missing some things that made the series great, it did bring some new things that I really enjoyed with the true motion controls for swordplay and firing off arrows and such. I'll also admit that I was one of those people who dismissed Wind Waker when it came out because of the graphics (I was young, and had only played OoT up to that point, so I hadn't grown attached to the franchise but rather a singular game). I did eventually give WW it's due, but still wasn't my favorite as I found the sailing less than engaging; endless blue seas for miles and I can't even get out my telescope to look out in the distance without putting the sail away. I'd often get up and use the bathroom while sailing and hope I didn't find myself in battle with a giant squid.

Not that it really matters - everybody knows that A Link to the Past and the Oracle games were the best Zelda games ever. :rolleyes:
Fun fact, I was looking to buy one of the Oracle games at Best Buy when they came out, but they didn't have it in stock. But they happened to have a single copy of Ocarina Of Time sitting there on the bottom shelf, so I decided to put my oracle money towards that instead. Never did get around to picking them after that.

Now as for the Nintendo Direct... I just wanted to see Groose as a playable character :(

Reactions: Foxi4

CJL18

Trophies
Website
www.2shared.com
XP
Country
United States
I actually agree with wiicube this company doesn't exactly have a good track record with good games I mean they made ninja gaiden 3 and messed up that franchise hopefully they don't dont do the same with zelda:wink:

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Obviously I jest with certain parts of that post - each to their own, really. In my opinion, Ocarina of Time, much like most games of that period, did not age well and I don't fancy it all that much. It was "revolutionary" for its time, but many games that "emulated" it were more to my liking or did certain things better - here I often bring up Soul Reaver which I think is excellent in just about every way and, believe it or not, is a "Zelda-like".

As for Wind Waker, I absolutely detest that art style - I always have and I always will. I believe that I am physically unable to pick that game up, and knowing about all its glaring issues, both from gameplay footage and trustworthy accounts, makes it even less appealing to me. No, I can't get over it - call me a graphics whore if you must. This style could "fly" on the DS with me because the system couldn't really do any better, on the Gamecube it just felt out of place.

Twilight Princess on the other hand... I feel that this is the way Zelda games should look like. It was a bit too muddy and a bit too "bloomy", but that was caused by the limitations of the system - I feel that on better hardware the game would really flourish and benefit from crisper, more colourful graphics, see Zelda HD Tech Demo. As for Skyward Sword, I actually like that art style, but they may have gone a bit too far with cartoonifying it. More Twilight Princess, less Wind Waker please.

And this brings me to Hyrule Warriors and the upcoming Zelda Wii U... and honestly, I like how Hyrule Warriors looks like - not sure if even a bit more than the Zelda Wii U rendering. It's relatively realistic, but it's not muddy. It's colourful, but it's not vomiting at me through the screen. It's "just right" - I like it.

Naturally this is all just about how the games look, gameplay is a whole different matter and in that regard I'm still firmly "Linked to the Past", maybe in a few "Seasons" that will change, but I just don't dig 3D Zelda... yet. It's been "Ages" since I played one though, so maybe I should give them another fair go... Can't tell you if I will ever like them though - I'm not an "Oracle".

Damn, I'm crafty. ;O;

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Well start walking towards them +1