Gaming Hyrule Warriors

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
To the people saying the game's crap and all:
The reviews are basing the game for what it is. For a game in general, yes it may be lacking and boring. However, rating the game as a Dynasty Warriors spin off, it's amazing. I've had tons of fun playing this game. You see, my life's really busy, and at the end of the day, I want to play a fun game that doesn't require too much thinking, yet still feeling fun. This is exactly that, I can pick this up, and play 20 minutes just destroying 2000+ monsters in an awesome flashy way. I love it, and the adventure mode provides a ton of challenges for when I'm more awake.

You guys are picturing this as a full Zelda game, and that's not what this is.

No, just in general as a game this lacks to be actually good.

Here's a review of Hyrule Warriors by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw:

fafaffy

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No, just in general as a game this lacks to be actually good.

Here's a review of Hyrule Warriors by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw:

Sadly, I'm in class and can't see the video. However, I will end this by saying that a game being good or bad is entirely subjective. I can say (since I played it for hours already) that I had tons of fun for it being a game. Sure, it's not perfect but for me I'm content.

If you didn't like it, then the game probably wasn't tailored for you.

chavosaur

Chavo
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This is exactly that, I can pick this up, and play 20 minutes just destroying 2000+ monsters in an awesome flashy way. I love it, and the adventure mode provides a ton of challenges for when I'm more awake.

You guys are picturing this as a full Zelda game, and that's not what this is.
This is actually something I touched upon in my own review in the reviews section. Hyrule Warriors isn't the kind of game you can pick up and immerse yourself in for hours at a time for an immense story experience. Rather, it's a good title to pick up, slash the shit out of things, and vent a little frustration into, all while channeling your inner Link. Granted I had other problems with the game, I tried very hard to judge for what it was, and not as a simple dynasty warriors spinoff

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
I quite agree with Tokiopop, you sound very pretentious.

I have enjoyed every aspect of the game, including the parts you've complained about. Go ahead and try to tell me that I'm wrong for enjoying them.
Sorry for giving you that kind of impression.

Oh my. You are not wrong for enjoying this game - go ahead and play! Have fun! =)

It's just my opinion, nothing more. Don't get me wrong, I played through the story mode and some Adventure mode missions with a friend. I played every character with every weapon, saw every cutscene, saw every special and slashed through more than enough enemys. And it was quite fun together!

But it's getting old to fast. But why does it feel this way? The gameplay is nice, the graphics are ok for the WiiU and your slashes gives you real good feedback that you kick ass. Easy: Cause the game has no variety - every mode contains the same. And you can give me 100 of these 8-bit maps - they're still only little packages with more missions on the same battlefields with the same enemys. This is no good design for a game of that genre.

Take Bayonetta for example: It's "just" hack and slash and could have ended up the same way. But it did not. Because the developers did an awesome job outside of their battle system. Very different spots to travel to, great and exciting unlockables, great characters, sense of humour, mini games, riding and flying missions and AWESOME DESIGNED BOSSFIGHTS. You definitly can't complain about variety here.

There are so many ideas in Hyrule Warriors that they did not think through to the end, but implented them halfway and throw the game out.

And here one must see the game for what it is. A not so good Dynasty Warrior taking a ride on the Zelda franchise, with wasted potential. You have fun, I had fun too. But I don't close my eyes before the great game that could have been made.

Also, no one is forcing you to replay any of the missions to progress in either of the two main modes. Getting heart pieces and skulltulas are little more than a reward for those who would want to do it again
And for that part: You're absolutely right - no one is forcing me to do this. On the other side I need it to unlock certain things like new potions and a tunic as far as I know. This is game time stretching and totally unecessary.

For the record: Having fun with a game and seeing the weak parts of a game is both possible.
Or love the game over everything else and get an even weaker sequel - cause everything is perfect, isnt it? :wink:

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
If Hyrule Warriors was sold at launch for £20/$40 it would have been a more acceptable price and also, when you know that the music is better than the entire game then you know you've fucked up.

Arras

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
Sorry for giving you that kind of impression.

Oh my. You are not wrong for enjoying this game - go ahead and play! Have fun! =)

It's just my opinion, nothing more. Don't get me wrong, I played through the story mode and some Adventure mode missions with a friend. I played every character with every weapon, saw every cutscene, saw every special and slashed through more than enough enemys. And it was quite fun together!

But it's getting old to fast. But why does it feel this way? The gameplay is nice, the graphics are ok for the WiiU and your slashes gives you real good feedback that you kick ass. Easy: Cause the game has no variety - every mode contains the same. And you can give me 100 of these 8-bit maps - they're still only little packages with more missions on the same battlefields with the same enemys. This is no good design for a game of that genre.

Take Bayonetta for example: It's "just" hack and slash and could have ended up the same way. But it did not. Because the developers did an awesome job outside of their battle system. Very different spots to travel to, great and exciting unlockables, great characters, sense of humour, mini games, riding and flying missions and AWESOME DESIGNED BOSSFIGHTS. You definitly can't complain about variety here.

There are so many ideas in Hyrule Warriors that they did not think through to the end, but implented them halfway and throw the game out.

And here one must see the game for what it is. A not so good Dynasty Warrior taking a ride on the Zelda franchise, with wasted potential. You have fun, I had fun too. But I don't close my eyes before the great game that could have been made.

And for that part: You're absolutely right - no one is forcing me to do this. On the other side I need it to unlock certain things like new potions and a tunic as far as I know. This is game time stretching and totally unecessary.

For the record: Having fun with a game and seeing the weak parts of a game is both possible.
Or love the game over everything else and get an even weaker sequel - cause everything is perfect, isnt it? :wink:
You can see it both ways. If you feel the need to unlock everything for whatever reason, it feels like a massive grind. However, if you just like playing the game occasionally, still having more little things to do and unlock is fantastic.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I somehow managed to buy a copy of Hyrule Warriors for £2 ($3.20) so while I know exactly what the game's like (DW slapped with Zelda stuff) I still rather enjoy it, but only for its soundtrack.

Guess I won't need to worry about a CD music release any more.

It should arrive next week. If only Wii U exclusives were this cheap.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I somehow managed to buy a copy of Hyrule Warriors for £2 ($3.20) so while I know exactly what the game's like (DW slapped with Zelda stuff) I still rather enjoy it, but only for its soundtrack.

Guess I won't need to worry about a CD music release any more.

It should arrive next week. If only Wii U exclusives were this cheap.
Damn, nice find. Whether or not HW is worth full price is certainly debatable, but at £2, I don't see how you can go wrong.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
It arrived today.

HgqYFZJ.jpg

pMgMMMJ.jpg

Excellent condition and with unused Club Nintendo points.

WiiCube_2013

Trophies
XP
Country
Gaza Strip
I finally decided to play Hyrule Warriors yesterday and it didn't last long (16mins in total).

zlCfzSmdBuIjzrn3BH

The game has rather pretty graphics as to what I'd want from a Zelda game and the music is really good too but aside that, Hyrule Warriors is just about going around slashing brainless enemies that just stand there while you attack them (the soldiers fighting by your side don't do shit either as they just stand there too).

zlCfzSmdEVkVy2POpb

Such a shame that this very well may be the last and only Zelda Wii U game that makes use of these graphics because the real Zelda (2015) seems to be going with cartoonish looking.

grossaffe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would settle for HD twilight princess honestly
Yeah, I thought Twilight Princess was a better candidate for an HD remake than Wind Waker because TP's art doesn't hold up to time as well as WW's. I suppose, though, that since TP was ported to the Wii, that made it already playable on the Wii U while WW was GCN only.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Yeah, I thought Twilight Princess was a better candidate for an HD remake than Wind Waker because TP's art doesn't hold up to time as well as WW's. I suppose, though, that since TP was ported to the Wii, that made it already playable on the Wii U while WW was GCN only.

Which is unfortunate considering the Wii version was the worse version: horizontally flipped to accommodate the Wii Remote, waggle controls that sucked far more than MotionPlus controls in Skyward Sword, no option to play using a Classic Controller / GameCube controller, always visible useless Navi that had nothing to do with the game...

Twilight Princess updated to HD, Pro Controller support, same treatment as WWHD for the GamePad support (because seriously TP was very conservative with item options in both GC/Wii versions), and let me play the game as intended without flipping the image left and right.

I couldn't care less about WW anymore. I bought the game (limited edition even), tried to play through it but was bored to death! Tried playing with a guide and I still thought there were better things to do than play that game. Ended up selling it. I really don't understand the rave reviews. I never played the GC version either.

Hyrule Warriors is the perfect starting point IMO for a Twilight Princess HD upgrade. I like the graphics of the game (which is maybe the only thing I like about it... )

D

Deleted User

Someone tell me how the graphics are bad, please? I thought they looked pretty good

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Someone tell me how the graphics are bad, please? I thought they looked pretty good

Graphics are great IMO! But when there are many characters on screen everything just starts to feel sluggish and there is a noticeable drop in visual quality that I have noticed. But that's not at all a problem that I have with the game. The only problem I have with Hyrule Warriors is the spawning of enemies. It feels totally random at times and is just erratic for the most part. I slay the outpost captain and the game spawns a pack of Hylian soldiers, but then just out of nowhere a Bokoblin spawns right behind my back. Like, WTF?

Bimmel

~ Game Soundtrack Collector ~
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
Hum..

Character models = Well done, good graphics for the WiiU
Environment = mucus graphics - welcome to N64 world (Even the stones look the same in OOT, mabye it's fanservice? :P)

Think that nails it a bit better.

Edit: Okay, looked at it again. If youre playing alone then the stones look better. Still, the scenery is not well made.

shinkodachi

On permanent leave
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
Hum..

Character models = Well done, good graphics for the WiiU
Environment = mucus graphics - welcome to N64 world (Even the stones look the same in OOT, mabye it's fanservice? :P)

Think that nails it a bit better.

Edit: Okay, looked at it again. If youre playing alone then the stones look better. Still, the scenery is not well made.

Game definitely looks and plays better on GamePad. Try it. It feels like an upscaled HD game that's actually 480p.

Sheimi

A cute Vixen!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm still completing Adventure Mode, Master Quest Map and maxing all the characters stats out so I can go take on Hero Mode.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: I feel like I spent the night with Ancientboi +1