Hacking [HOW-TO] Use Scene Dumps with GW 2.2 Online

CIH137

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have 2 questions. First, I made a backup of Generator Rex and got the header data from it. I have a US console and decided to inject the header onto my fantasy life game which is EUR. To my surprise the save game was still there. Is this normal and is it okay to play EUR games on a US console like this? I checked again and made sure the header was still there. It erased my mario cart game when I tried it on that. I have yet to actually play online since the games need updates.

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I have 2 questions. First, I made a backup of Generator Rex and got the header data from it. I have a US console and decided to inject the header onto my fantasy life game which is EUR. To my surprise the save game was still there. Is this normal and is it okay to play EUR games on a US console like this? I checked again and made sure the header was still there. It erased my mario cart game when I tried it on that. I have yet to actually play online since the games need updates.

You can play the game but you can't play it online or download the updates. In order to go online and download the updates you need the US rom to match your US console. That goes for all games that go online or subsequently need updates.

CIH137

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You can play the game but you can't play it online or download the updates. In order to go online and download the updates you need the US rom to match your US console. That goes for all games that go online or subsequently need updates.

What about local play? That is still good right?

jajhohner

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Is there any tool I can use on OSX to do all this? My windows partition died and there's no way to re-install windows on my laptop until I get a new one.

davhuit

Trophies
XP
Country
France
What about local play? That is still good right?

Depend what you call "local play".

If you talk about playing with someone that also have the cart, it'll work fine. You can, for example, play Mario Golf (JP) with someone who have the european version. Same for "Smash Bros". I can locally play the japanese rom on my japanese 3DS with the real european cart on my european 3DS (and same if I use the european rom).

If you talk about "Download play" (play to a game with only one cart, like in Mario Kart or such), it won't work. "Download play" is region-locked and the gateway change anything to that. All 3DS that want to play with "Download play" have to use the same region, same for the game (for example, I have a japanese and a european 3DS and both can't use "Download play" between that. Even if I play an european game on my japanese 3DS with the gateway, the "download play" don't work with the european 3DS, "no game found" when I use download play on the european console").

About online, like it was said before, you can play whatever games region you want as long as the game don't have eshop updates. If the game have some, you need to use the same region as your 3DS to be able to download the updates. There are a few exceptions, though. Mario Golf, for example, have a in-game download updates function, so it don't need to use the eshop to update the game, which mean you can use a different region of the rom and still play online, but that's pretty rare.

just to clarify something. If I use the same header with 2 different games, my save wont work?
Let me explain:
I dumped my Madden football header
Use that header with scene dump of pokemon x and y both
but since I am using the same header, they will create same save file?
Or is it ok to use same header with different games?

The save is tied to the "online header", but still keep the original header (id of the original game) to store the save. So the savefile will still have the same name as if you don't use an "online header" and will work for anybody that use the same dump.

But if you add an "online header" to the rom, the save will be then tied to this modified version of the rom and only people who will have the same rom as you (so the one with your header) will be able to use the save. If they use this save with a rom with an "online header" different from yours or no "online header" at all, the save will be detected as corrupt.

And same for you. If you use roms with "online header" and lose them in a micro-sd crash, for example, you won't be able to reuse them, except if you still have the "online header" you used for those games (that's why using a header from a game you own is a good thing, as you can always redump it, not to mention you have less probabilities to be banned if they start to ban one day, because if they do, they would probably just ban/block people that use the same ID, as one card can't be played online by more than one people at the same time).

Personally, I use the header of my own "Metal Gear Solid 3D" (4 GB) as it don't have online functions so even if they ban the id online, won't be a big loss (except if they directly ban the system but I don't think so) and as I don't plan to sell any of my games so I'm sure I'll have it forever and that no one will use the same id online.

Is there any tool I can use on OSX to do all this? My windows partition died and there's no way to re-install windows on my laptop until I get a new one.

You can add them manually, but that's not the easiest way to do (I think I saw the manual explanation somewhere in this thread. Basically, you can open the rom with an hexadecimal editor (like Hex Workshop, for example), and also open the header you want to do add.

Then, in the rom, the header you search start at adress "00001200". Then, just copy paste the header values in it. You don't need to copy the whole header as most of the header is empty (FF). It seems only "00000000-00000050" in the header is used, so just copy-paste those lines at "00001200-00001250" in the rom.

Note that you'll have to change a value manually, the one that indicate the size of the rom (the patcher offer to auto-fix it when it detect a problem).

I'm actually searching for all the values (need to do some tests to find them) and will edit my message when it'll be okay.

Edit : Here's the values :

Rom size/hexadecimal value :

128 MB (1 Gbit) : 7F
256 MB (2 Gbit) : FF
512 MB (4 Gbit) : FE
1 GB (8 GBit) : FA
2 GB (16 Gbit) : F8
4 GB (32 Gbit) : F0

This value is located at 00001241 in the rom (or 00000041 in the header, if you want to modify it in the header, before the copy paste).

Edit 2 : Finally found when I had saw those values, here : http://gbatemp.net/threads/how-to-use-scene-dumps-with-gw-2-2-online.365829/page-60#post-5118599

It's also give the value you have to change if your game is a card2 one (pokemon x/y, for example).

Reactions: jajhohner

Lotusdigital

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
I used my own scene dump from my OOT game on my Super Smash Bros 4 Rom, and when i try connect to nintendo network it gives me this message "error 002-0120 to use the online service please download the latest version of this softaware" but i already downloaded the 1.0.2 update, and when i start the game it asks me to go to nintendo eshop to download the latest update, when i click it, after some loading, it gives me this error "error 011-3021 this software is not available at the moment" can someone help me? how do i fix this?

Doran754

Conform comrades
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I used my own scene dump from my OOT game on my Super Smash Bros 4 Rom, and when i try connect to nintendo network it gives me this message "error 002-0120 to use the online service please download the latest version of this softaware" but i already downloaded the 1.0.2 update, and when i start the game it asks me to go to nintendo eshop to download the latest update, when i click it, after some loading, it gives me this error "error 011-3021 this software is not available at the moment" can someone help me? how do i fix this?

do the regions match, make sure they do.

CIH137

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Here is the 1.0 release of 3ds Rom Editor, there is lots of bug fixes. If anyone wants the source code, here you go. https://github.com/Aliak/3ds-Rom-Editor

What's new? Also is there a way to tell what region the rom is with the patcher. I patched a few out of region roms and was confused as to why the updates were not working right. And I also have a bunch of roms that are not region labeled.

Dawnpatch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait is injecting a new header necessary if i dumped my own cart. i dumped my own copy of smash and since i'll be playing on the gateway with my xl and the cart is just in my normal 3ds there wont be a chance of both being online at the same time so do i still need to do this? sadly i found out that i can't copy my old save since i played already on my original 3ds which is at 9.0 ):

CIH137

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
wait is injecting a new header necessary if i dumped my own cart. i dumped my own copy of smash and since i'll be playing on the gateway with my xl and the cart is just in my normal 3ds there wont be a chance of both being online at the same time so do i still need to do this? sadly i found out that i can't copy my old save since i played already on my original 3ds which is at 9.0 ):

If you dumped your own cart is should have a unique header. Only scene dumps have FFFF as a header. If you plan to play with your other cart and rom you may want to inject another header to your rom. Not sure if it is necessary but i heard people having a hard time playing online using the "same" cart or header, maybe? Not sure. I don't think the saves are dumped, i think there would need to be a save export which i dont think exists yet.

fatboynate

Bringer of Freedom
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
i dont get it if each hex is related to the game then how are any headers different if people have the same game?

also could i use my y header to make x work at the same time they will be use on different consoles but both online at once?

lastly is it possible to make up the header by using a real one and changing it slightly?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
i dont get it if each hex is related to the game then how are any headers different if people have the same game?
part of it is unique to each cart i.e the same game will have a different uniqueID for each cart produced , a small section is just the game card details this would be the same for every copy of the game as they all have the same cart details i.e rom size save type etc

fatboynate

Bringer of Freedom
Trophies
XP
Country
Chad
the only game i dont play online is happens to be my fantasy life and i cant find it anywhere, is there any way i can use my pokemon y header but edit it slightly like change a value down one peg?

Dawnpatch

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you dumped your own cart is should have a unique header. Only scene dumps have FFFF as a header. If you plan to play with your other cart and rom you may want to inject another header to your rom. Not sure if it is necessary but i heard people having a hard time playing online using the "same" cart or header, maybe? Not sure. I don't think the saves are dumped, i think there would need to be a save export which i dont think exists yet.

so my dump is fine to play online with since its my personal game? and you can dump saves with gateway but if you used your game cart in a 3ds with a firmware past 6.0, it can't be used with the gateway since it basically becomes "locked"

CIH137

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah your personal dump should be okay to play online. I don't know if you want to inject another header or if it even matters but if you plan to play online with the physical cart you may want to. changing the header later will remove your save I believe, but I think it is okay to keep it, I just don't know how playing online with the "same cart" works. If you already started a game, I would not worry about it. I think the header will change based on 3ds maybe.

I think that you maybe referring to card 2 saves like animal crossing and pokemon. If you play the physical card on your emunanad the save is corrupted when trying to play on a normal 3ds and vice versa. I think you can still dump those in that case but the save will need to be formatted on the rom, which should be done the first time you play the game in game.

Hellz92

Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
I've been trying out how to get my header to work I took of my Smash Bros EU cartridge. I've been trying to get Fantasy Life EU to work with it, but I keep getting the error "002-0123 You Cannot use online services with this Game Card." I've followed the tutorial, I also tried Hex editting the size from the smash bros header from 2GB to 1GB, but everything i've tried so far gives me this error in return. Does anyone know what is going wrong here?

EDIT :

I tried it with the public MGS header file now, and it works. Not getting the error anymore, does this mean my own smash bros header is invalid to use?

y03usw6e

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Anyone tried Tetris Ultimate? It didn't like my personal Mario Kart header, refused to go online. All ROMS/console EUR.
Sorry, but I don't understand how people are still having problems with this.

Use this.
Here is the 1.0 release of 3ds Rom Editor, there is lots of bug fixes. If anyone wants the source code, here you go. https://github.com/Aliak/3ds-Rom-Editor

Open the rom, Import the header. It'll automatically change the Chip ID based on Card Type and Capacity. The only thing you need to change is Manufacturer. Try the first one. If it doesn't work, try the next one. Still not working? Try the last one.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Nice nice-