Tutorial Setup Custom Firmware w/ SigPatches

Were you successful in installing redNAND?

• Yes, it worked perfectly.

Votes: 173 66.0%
  • Yes, but with some hiccups.

Votes: 34 13.0%
  • No, and I bricked.

Votes: 39 14.9%
  • No, it didn't work, but I didn't brick! :)

Votes: 16 6.1%

• Total voters

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't know if this has been mentioned before, but I seem to be unable to access Wi-Fi while on redNAND. Is this a known bug, and can I do something to fix it? I am set up for self-hosting, but I would also want to play games online.
Wi-Fi should work on redNAND. Make sure your internet settings are correct.

raspy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Hi,

Can you tell me what do you mean by format redNAND so that I can't avoid bricking my Wii U? Like are you asking if it was safe to go into the settings menu and do a system format while in redNAND?

Thanks,

Edit: Sorry this was suppose to be a reply to @Naendow

Last edited by raspy,

Supster131

(づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ *:・゚✧
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi,

Can you tell me what do you mean by format redNAND so that I can't avoid bricking my Wii U? Like are you asking if it was safe to go into the settings menu and do a system format while in redNAND?

Thanks,
Formatting redNAND means doing a system format, yes.
So do not do that while in redNAND, or else it will brick.

raspy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was talking about unlinking them

Once you're sure that redNAND is working, format your sysNAND, you can still use your HDD on redNAND but never plug it while you are on sysNAND, shit will happen

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

You have to format sysNAND to unlink them, don't we ?

I am reading through every post in this thread and I want to understand the terms linking and unlinking...

1. Once I know I am able to boot into redNAND then the same titles from sysNAND (the original Wii U menu) is the same in redNAND aka link or linking NANDs?

2. To unlink the NANDs then I "DO NOT" format the system while in redNAND but I can format the system in sysNAND (the original Wii U menu) however there is no gain to this at the moment (atm) other than seeing all my titles/games in redNAND instead of the sysNAND (the original Wii U menu)? @NexoCube Except one caveat or warning not to plug in my USB hard-drive where the titles/games reside for redNAND while I am in sysNAND and only plug it in when I boot into redNAND?

Edit: related to my second question about "unlinking". Basically if I do this then I will have to format my USB hard-drive and reinstall all my games again using WUP Mod Y installer right?

Thanks,

Last edited by raspy,

raspy

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
This is missing the part to run gensections.py. Without doing that it would just loop back to the Wii U home screen for me when running cfw booter for the first time. I have seen other mention of this step being missed in this turotial.

@D34DL1N3R What part of the redNAND tutorial do you run gensections.py?

D34DL1N3R

Nephilim
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Spearel18

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
So say i want to download skyward sword virtual console from nintendo servers, im boned on trying to install it in rednand because there is no title key to produce a fake tik from "that title key site" does not have it listed nor is it anywhere findable online, no way around that correct? guess im stuck with the wii version
Well, you're mostly boned, because you need rednand to install VC games, but vWii doesn't work on rednand(atm), therefore even if you manage to install it, it wouldn't run.

Soccerdies

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Well, you're mostly boned, because you need rednand to install VC games, but vWii doesn't work on rednand(atm), therefore even if you manage to install it, it wouldn't run.
But now would a virtual console version of skyward sword be accessible on Wii u? I wouldn't have to go into vwii to play that

DocAmes1980

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi GBA temp! Long time lurker, first time poster.

I have redNAND setup and running. I've installed System Config Tool and several redNAND only titles using the Title Manager in SCT. No issues so far. However, I've read the FAQs on this topic and skimmed through the posts but I still have some questions...

The FAQs section says that if you want to be able to launch titles on both sysNAND and redNAND you have to install them on both. What does installing them on both mean exactly? For example, if I install a title in redNAND (a title that does not require CFW to launch, ie not an eShop only title) what happens when I install it again in sysNAND? Does it simply use the title.tik file to make it launchable in sysNAND? You don't have to fully install it again do you? Like would a 5 GB title occupy 10 GB of storage if you had it installed in both sysNAND and redNAND? Also, to clarify, I can understand why a title installed in redNAND won't launch in sysNAND, but why can't a title installed in sysNAND be launched in redNAND?

Is it dangerous to attempt to launch a redNAND only title in sysNAND? Would I have to worry about somebody unintentionally bricking my Wii U provided they didn't know how to start the Homebrew Launcher?

I understand how to download and install DLC, but my question is how do I go about it for the titles I already have installed in sysNAND? Could I simply install the DLC in redNAND using SCT and launch the title as normal in sysNAND?

I'm getting a larger HDD today. What is the best way to transfer the titles from my current HDD to the new one? Are there any special considerations for DLC, savegames, or the redNAND only titles? I'd like to use SCT to do the transfer if possible.

Also is there a way to boot into sysNAND from redNAND without power cycling the console?

Edit:

- Apparently DLC can only be played on redNAND.

- I moved my data via the data managment page in the Wii U settings (sysNAND). No problems even with the redNAND only titles.

- I'm sure it's probably ok if you accientally attemp to launch a redNAND only title in sysNAND. Probably just say "Update data is corrupt. Please blah, blah..."

-I no longer care about installing titles to both NANDs. It's fine using redNAND for just eShop, DLC, and OoR.

Thank much in advance,
Andy

Last edited by DocAmes1980,

Cava

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
@iAqua I can confirm with your region change method Dr. Luigi not works. The game starts but after the logo just got black screen. (Edited the meta from 2 to 4 repacked and installed it with system config tool) I guess it is needs something more because the loadiine version got patched for EUR but i don't know what was edited.

Last edited by Cava,

Daggot

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But now would a virtual console version of skyward sword be accessible on Wii u? I wouldn't have to go into vwii to play that
I'd like to know this too. The question is does wii VC really use a patched vwii? I say patched because it has certain privileges we can't even touch right now like using the wii u gamepad as a classic controller. Another question that should've been asked earlier is if anyone has ever even attempted to install and play wiiVC on rednand but maybe not as the tickets and title ID''s of wii games can't really be found...

julian1976

Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks it's well working but after reading all this post page, i have some question

Is there a way to install Eshop game download from nusgrabber (exemple super mario kart 64) without title.tik

I did not found this title anywhere, i try to create a title.tik for it but i don't know the ecrypted title key.
I hear about compiling "rpx" to "install files"

Do you have information about that?
Do someone use Haxchi ColdBootHax to automatically launch rednand ?

is it possible on rednand ton install wupinstaller as channel ?

Thanks for everything and sory for my bad english

Cava

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
I got problem with an NDS game when i wanted to repack the decrypted files for region change:

upload_2016-11-10_15-26-11.png

Last edited by Cava,

KungFuzion

Trophies
XP
Country
I'm thinking of installing metroid other m on rednand (eshop VC title) will this work? I've heard these titles don't actually use vwii mode?

Cava

Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
@iAqua I can confirm with your region change method Dr. Luigi not works. The game starts but after the logo just got black screen. (Edited the meta from 2 to 4 repacked and installed it with system config tool) I guess it is needs something more because the loadiine version got patched for EUR but i don't know what was edited.
Okay i made it to work alongside with the loadiine EUR fixed version.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: @salazarcosplay, I heard herbert stopped appearing on the show