Hacking How to sell an 6.2 exploit to Gateway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KennyMckormick

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Honestly not trying to be demeaning here, but is there any other application for kernel exploit other than piracy? Legitimately curious here.

Emunand for starters. Highly likely the ability to use custom themes in the future. I've been lurking for a short while and it seems a lot of people equate kernel exploit with piracy. Yes, it does allow piracy. But it allows other cool stuff like emunand. I think I saw a playcoin setter being mentioned somewhere. Placing piracy concerns aside, kernel exploits allow you to do a lot more. I myself love the idea of emunand, being able to stay up to date with new versions of firmware while at the same time retaining your exploits. Not sure if smealum's exploit will allow for emunand but if it doesn't all it takes is for nintendo to patch his exploit and it's gone.

Smea actually has kernel access, he is only restricting it so others can't pirate.

Is this true? I haven't seen anything that mentions this part.

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Is this true? I haven't seen anything that mentions this part.
no he has 2 different exploit 1 is pretty much the same as gateway's i.e 4.x only with emunand features etc, the other is ssspwn which is userland and has no emunand etc capabilities

he was originally going to release the 4.x explot but for homebrew only but decided it would likely end up being turned into a rom loader so he decided not to release....ssspwn on the other hand he said quite firmly will not allow rom loading even if people try so thats why he said he will release ssspwn instead

Reactions: NEP

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
I see. There's a lot of hype surrounding smealum's ssspwn. What can it do?
basically homebrew on pretty much every firmware from 4.x to 9.x on all versions of the 3ds including the new 3ds.....basically for people who actually do want just homebrew it will allow everyone access to homebrew.....until nintendo patch it ofc.....and they will patch it as soon as its released

KennyMckormick

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
basically homebrew on pretty much every firmware from 4.x to 9.x on all versions of the 3ds including the new 3ds.....basically for people who actually do want just homebrew it will allow everyone access to homebrew.....until nintendo patch it ofc.....and they will patch it as soon as its released

What happens then if nintendo release new games or game patches required for online?

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
What happens then if nintendo release new games or game patches required for online?
it will be blocked in the next FW, thats why smealum is trying to plan his release carefully, so people dont have to choose between the next big game and homebrew.........ofc the option of a hardmodded console is always there, so you can keep homebrew acccess and still run newer games etc( would means upgrading and downgrading your FW to switch between them though)

KennyMckormick

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
it will be blocked in the next FW, thats why smealum is trying to plan his release carefully, so people dont have to choose between the next big game and homebrew.........ofc the option of a hardmodded console is always there, so you can keep homebrew acccess and still run newer games etc( would means upgrading and downgrading your FW to switch between them though)

But there will always be the next next big game. This hadrmodded option sounds tedious though

gamesquest1

Nabnut
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
But there will always be the next next big game. This hadrmodded option sounds tedious though
yeah....but if he gets the main ones out the way like ssb will now be playble,pkmemon ORAS will probably be fine, cant think of any others that would encourage a large amount of people to update, then again this isnt taking into consideration eshop title updates that could effectivly blackmail people into updating, so no doubt once ssspwn is released there will be a "stability" update for smash bros

really the hard mod isnt too bad, there isnt much homebrew around at, so if you wanted you could backup your nand and come back to the homebrew scene a few months down the line once things have progressed and there is plenty to do ther, or just update and forget about homebrew,but atleast there is the option of having both if you really wanted

KennyMckormick

Banned!
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yeah....but if he gets the main ones out the way like ssb will now be playble,pkmemon ORAS will probably be fine, cant think of any others that would encourage a large amount of people to update, then again this isnt taking into consideration eshop title updates that could effectivly blackmail people into updating, so no doubt once ssspwn is released there will be a "stability" update for smash bros

really the hard mod isnt too bad, there isnt much homebrew around at, so if you wanted you could backup your nand and come back to the homebrew scene a few months down the line once things have progressed and there is plenty to do ther, or just update and forget about homebrew,but atleast there is the option of having both if you really wanted

Is the hard mod time consuming?

Thorhian

My CPU's prefer Water
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Is the hard mod time consuming?

Depends on your soldering skills. If you can hardmod the 3ds, then its not too hard to backup and flash the NAND when you have done the mod. Im pretty sure there is a thread or two on how to do this, it might be linked in the homebrew thread?

hundshamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you're lacking the skills or confidence to do the mod, there are those who provide those services (for a fee of course).

andre104623

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
This kernel exploit if real isn't worth anything. You want some advice get a loan start your own flashcard company then make money. But honesty you should make it open source and free to kill all the flashcard scammers that would change everything.

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Anyone else remember when this site was filled with nice, helpful people? The good ol' days of wii hacking those were. Wish we could just all go back to that.
The Wii section was your go to example of helpfulness on this site? We basically fenced the section off and let it fend for itself, much like this one is heading towards, and occasionally a mod would do a Judge Dredd style walk into the wasteland.

Anyway I am not sure why the default position is snark, granted this has happened on previous occasions where exploits are discussed but gah. Though this is probably not as bad as the poor dude that built some video capture. I did also find it amusing that people are telling you to found your own flash cart company.

Others have mostly covered it anyway. 6.2 might not be as valuable as current but you can still readily find those on shelves, game wise a few of the games some people think are good for the 3ds are in that range and I am not sure if 6.2 includes the 2ds as well.
What I am mainly here to say is as well as gateway some of the old DS flash cart teams might be interested in something. Several are still around and pumping out DS flash carts and other things.

Anyway looks like I have an amusing thread to read, and I have only just got to the the_randomizer stuff, something which is always priceless.

kiryu1

Trophies
XP
Country
no he has 2 different exploit 1 is pretty much the same as gateway's i.e 4.x only with emunand features etc, the other is ssspwn which is userland and has no emunand etc capabilities

he was originally going to release the 4.x explot but for homebrew only but decided it would likely end up being turned into a rom loader so he decided not to release....ssspwn on the other hand he said quite firmly will not allow rom loading even if people try so thats why he said he will release ssspwn instead

so, the one that he's going to release doesn't support dumping carts and loading dumped games on 3DS' SD?

GorTesK

Mad Hatter
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
so, the one that he's going to release doesn't support dumping carts and loading dumped games on 3DS' SD?

no it doesn't
smea has always, from the beginning, said, he will not support piracy

edit:
darn, I just realized, I made a comment in the one thread, that I was desperately trying to avoid -.-

kiryu1

Trophies
XP
Country
no it doesn't
smea has always, from the beginning, said, he will not support piracy

edit:
darn, I just realized, I made a comment in the one thread, that I was desperately trying to avoid -.-

oh well, guess I have to buy gateway for my 3DS games.. It's annoying to change carts every now and then and you gotta buy another hardware just to store your games..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Ah yes Jeff Butts a reporter you can trust