How to rip regular Gameboy/Gameboy Color games using the DS Lite? (Possible?)

Discussion in 'NDS - Console and Game Discussions' started by BigDaddyWeaves, Aug 20, 2019.

1. BigDaddyWeaves
    OP

BigDaddyWeaves GBAtemp Regular

Jun 28, 2018
    United States
    I recently just purchased all 7 of the original Pokémon games released for the Gameboy/Gameboy Color (including Green)
    I was wondering is there any way to rip these off their physical cartridges? I already have the downloaded ROMS I'm just
    being nit-picky and want my own lol if anyone knows of an easy way (preferably some way where I don't have to buy
    anything extra to do it) that would be great.

2. zfreeman

zfreeman GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Mar 9, 2013
    United States
    Pennsylvania
  3. WiiHomebrew+Snes

WiiHomebrew+Snes GBAtemp Fan

May 4, 2016
    United States
    Not with a DS, they dont even fit. Not with a gameboy player or a gba with a link cable either afaik. I think theres a project that let's you use pokemon yellow to dump roms through sound but you need a gameboy player and a hacked gamecube memory card or some other way to do a TAS on a real cart. You could also use a flash card to get that dumper program on real hardware, or just buy a gameboy cart dumper like they Joey joebag from BennVenn.

BigDaddyWeaves likes this.
  4. KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen The Backup Reminder

Mar 28, 2018
    Germany
    GB(C) cartridges use a different voltage than GBA. A DS-Lite can't do that (without hardware modification – don't know if something like that has ever been done).
    Next idea would be using a GBA… Unfortunately inserting a GB(C) cartridge switches voltage and put the GBA in GBC mode – software like Link Cable Dumper can't be used for that.

Depending on what you already have at home, dumping GB(C) games can be done with a Game Boy Color. This requires a flashcart like "Everdrive" – or a bunch of other Nintendo products:
    • GameCube with the possibility to start homebrew with one of the following
      • modchip
      • save exploit (requires and a softmodded Wii and a GC Memory Card and one of the supported games)
      • Datel Action Replay / SD-Media-Launcher
    • Game Boy Player
    • Game Boy Color
    • English or German Pokemon Yellow/Gelb (save must be erased for this)
    • SD-Gecko¹
    • Computer with audio "line in"
    https://github.com/FIX94/gameboy-audio-dumper/releases

Documentation:
    https://gbatemp.net/entry/dumping-gameboy-games-the-insane-way-part-1.15159/
    https://gbatemp.net/entry/dumping-gameboy-games-the-insane-way-part-2.15170/
    https://gbatemp.net/entry/dumping-gameboy-games-the-insane-way-part-3.15179/

I can confirm this works pretty well. Dumping big games takes a while. I used it to backup my Pokemon saves before the SRAM/clock batteries in the second generation games give up.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen, Aug 20, 2019
  5. WiiHomebrew+Snes

WiiHomebrew+Snes GBAtemp Fan

May 4, 2016
    United States
    Great write up. I was just going to post the github link.

alexander1970 and KleinesSinchen like this.
  6. BigDaddyWeaves
    OP

Jun 28, 2018
    United States
    I have a GBA is there any way to rip the games off of that? (I don't even know if the cartridges even fit in there as I haven't gotten them yet.
    I want to do this as simply as possible or not at all. I recently ripped all 5 Pokémom GBA games off of my Acekard2i flashcart.
    That was a breeze. All these links you guys are giving me seem to require "equipment" and I don't have the money for it.

— Posts automatically merged - Please don't double post! —

So Everdrive is what I need?

7. Kwyjor

Kwyjor GBAtemp Advanced Fan

May 23, 2018
    Canada
    You might get somewhere with an Everdrive-GB, but you would probably be better off with a Gamecube+Gameboy Player+Exploit. (By "exploit", I mean a Gamecube memory card with specific data written to it. You can either find someone to write that data for you, or you can do it yourself fairly easily with a hacked Wii. Or you can buy your own SD Media Launcher.)

Note that an Everdrive GB is not the same as an Everdrive GBA; the Everdrive GB runs at a completely different voltage. Alternatively, you could probably try an ElCheapo flash cart. (Seriously, that's what they are called.)

Last edited by Kwyjor, Aug 20, 2019
    BigDaddyWeaves likes this.
  8. BigDaddyWeaves
    OP

Jun 28, 2018
    United States
    I think I may just purchase the games and then just keep the ROM files that I already have this all sounds like too much of a headache.
    And normally I like a headache lol but I think just having the game cartridges and the downloaded ROMS will suffice for me.
    Good, quick feedback from all of you though. Thanks!

KleinesSinchen likes this.
Quick Reply
Draft saved Draft deleted