Gaming How to rip regular Gameboy/Gameboy Color games using the DS Lite? (Possible?)

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I recently just purchased all 7 of the original Pokémon games released for the Gameboy/Gameboy Color (including Green)
I was wondering is there any way to rip these off their physical cartridges? I already have the downloaded ROMS I'm just
being nit-picky and want my own lol if anyone knows of an easy way (preferably some way where I don't have to buy
anything extra to do it) that would be great.

WiiHomebrew+Snes

Member of GBAtemp's shadow district
Trophies
Website
www.lucar.io
XP
Country
United States
Not with a DS, they dont even fit. Not with a gameboy player or a gba with a link cable either afaik. I think theres a project that let's you use pokemon yellow to dump roms through sound but you need a gameboy player and a hacked gamecube memory card or some other way to do a TAS on a real cart. You could also use a flash card to get that dumper program on real hardware, or just buy a gameboy cart dumper like they Joey joebag from BennVenn.

Reactions: BigDaddyWeaves

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
GB(C) cartridges use a different voltage than GBA. A DS-Lite can't do that (without hardware modification – don't know if something like that has ever been done).
Next idea would be using a GBA… Unfortunately inserting a GB(C) cartridge switches voltage and put the GBA in GBC mode – software like Link Cable Dumper can't be used for that.

Depending on what you already have at home, dumping GB(C) games can be done with a Game Boy Color. This requires a flashcart like "Everdrive" – or a bunch of other Nintendo products:
  • GameCube with the possibility to start homebrew with one of the following
    • modchip
    • save exploit (requires and a softmodded Wii and a GC Memory Card and one of the supported games)
    • Datel Action Replay / SD-Media-Launcher
  • Game Boy Player
  • Game Boy Color
  • English or German Pokemon Yellow/Gelb (save must be erased for this)
  • SD-Gecko¹
  • Computer with audio "line in"
https://github.com/FIX94/gameboy-audio-dumper/releases

Documentation:
https://gbatemp.net/entry/dumping-gameboy-games-the-insane-way-part-1.15159/
https://gbatemp.net/entry/dumping-gameboy-games-the-insane-way-part-2.15170/
https://gbatemp.net/entry/dumping-gameboy-games-the-insane-way-part-3.15179/

I can confirm this works pretty well. Dumping big games takes a while. I used it to backup my Pokemon saves before the SRAM/clock batteries in the second generation games give up.

Last edited by KleinesSinchen,

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a GBA is there any way to rip the games off of that? (I don't even know if the cartridges even fit in there as I haven't gotten them yet.
I want to do this as simply as possible or not at all. I recently ripped all 5 Pokémom GBA games off of my Acekard2i flashcart.
That was a breeze. All these links you guys are giving me seem to require "equipment" and I don't have the money for it.

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

So Everdrive is what I need?

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
You might get somewhere with an Everdrive-GB, but you would probably be better off with a Gamecube+Gameboy Player+Exploit. (By "exploit", I mean a Gamecube memory card with specific data written to it. You can either find someone to write that data for you, or you can do it yourself fairly easily with a hacked Wii. Or you can buy your own SD Media Launcher.)

Note that an Everdrive GB is not the same as an Everdrive GBA; the Everdrive GB runs at a completely different voltage. Alternatively, you could probably try an ElCheapo flash cart. (Seriously, that's what they are called.)

Last edited by Kwyjor,
Reactions: BigDaddyWeaves

BigDaddyWeaves

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I think I may just purchase the games and then just keep the ROM files that I already have this all sounds like too much of a headache.
And normally I like a headache lol but I think just having the game cartridges and the downloaded ROMS will suffice for me.
Good, quick feedback from all of you though. Thanks!

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @OctoAori20, Cool. Same here.