Status of Gameboy Color flash cards? Which would you recommend?

hollo47

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
I'm eying an EZ-Flash Jr. but now the first thread I clicked on here (ironically the forum that ezflash links to on its official site) had a reply that the EZ-Flash Jr. "sucks" and one should get an "EDGB" instead.

Now I've done the basic search engine research but it seems like a bit of a rabbit hole. So, to those in here that know, what would you say is the best option as of now (Nov. 2023)?
  • What options are there for flash cards that can store a significant amount of ROMs in one cartridge? Do they all use SD-cards? Is there one better than the others?
  • Are there different hardware generations for EZ-Flash Jr. and Co.? Can I tell which I'd get when buying online?
  • Are there "traps" of getting bad quality clones and ways to avoid that?
  • Am I missing a more elegant solution? I know about emulators but want to play on my original Gameboy Color.
Thanks and sorry if I'm asking obvious stuff, this is all a bit new and confusing to me.

EDIT: I ended up buying an Everdrive-GB X7. For details, check out my follow-up post!

Last edited by hollo47,

Dawn_Chaos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have the EZ-Flash Jr. and like it. I had to get the preview firmware for it from a thread here on GBAtemp because it would not work on my Analogue Pocket, and somebody said the preview firmware fixed it. It did fix it, for what it's worth.

However, I am a big fan of cheat codes and that alone means your only viable option is the Everdrive GB X7.

In response to your fears of getting clones, just buy from Stone Age Gamer and/or Retro Game Repair Shop and you won't have any trouble. I risked it and got my EZ-Flash Jr., Omega, and Omega DE from AliExpress, but I made sure to only buy from reputable looking sellers.

Last edited by Dawn_Chaos,

hollo47

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thanks for the quick reply! I decided to do more research into Everdrive and while it is more expensive, I think I'll actually go with the Everdrive GB X7. It's such an obscure gadget to get, I buy stuff like that once every couple of years.

If anyone else is looking into this, my current understanding is that Everdrive is from krikzz, a Ukrainian group/company.

There's also everdrive dot me which is listed on krikzz dot com and I don't quite get why it is a separate site, both seem to be primary sources to buy the product. As I live in Europe, I think it's reasonable to buy from there.

It also has a huge banner saying "Black Friday 20% off 22.11-30.11." which seems like an invitation to wait a week before buying, lol?

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
EverDrive GB X7 and EZ Flash Jr are your only real choices. Both work fine but the ED has a lower power draw. I own both and basically use the ED for my handhelds and the EZ Flash Jr for my stationary consoles (SGB and GB Player). The biggest difference beyond that is that on some Crystal romhacks the Real Time Clock is more reliable on the ED.

And yeah, Krikzz operates both Krikzz.com and everdrive.me, no idea why but they're both legit. He's also a good dude so you can trust that the sale will actually be a sale, feel free to wait or grab the special Christmas version that should go up soon as well (if they haven't already).

If you don't want to wait (delivery to Germany can take up to 6 weeks, for example) there are also other authorized distributors across the globe which you can find at https://krikzz.com/information/distributors.html and which might be closer to you, and thus allow you to have it quicker as a result. Be also aware that you're likely going to have to pay import fees if you're ordering from ukraine.

Dawn_Chaos

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Thanks for the quick reply! I decided to do more research into Everdrive and while it is more expensive, I think I'll actually go with the Everdrive GB X7. It's such an obscure gadget to get, I buy stuff like that once every couple of years.

If anyone else is looking into this, my current understanding is that Everdrive is from krikzz, a Ukrainian group/company.

There's also everdrive dot me which is listed on krikzz dot com and I don't quite get why it is a separate site, both seem to be primary sources to buy the product. As I live in Europe, I think it's reasonable to buy from there.

It also has a huge banner saying "Black Friday 20% off 22.11-30.11." which seems like an invitation to wait a week before buying, lol?
That's interesting if true re: Krikzz being based in Ukraine, it would make me consider buying an X7 finally.

Kwyjor

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I was going to suggest the El Cheapo SD, but it looks like those are all sold out (and it's probably not as good as the Everdrive or EZ-Flash).

Reportedly you can also buy a GBxCart RW and use it to flash individual games to certain cheap AliXpress bootlegs.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
That's interesting if true re: Krikzz being based in Ukraine, it would make me consider buying an X7 finally.
Krikzz himself had to move out of Ukraine as his hometown (and base of operations) was directly behind the border to Russia. Last I heard the entire manufacturing operation is currently still somewhere in west Ukraine.
But yeah, they ship from and are designed and manufactured in Ukraine.

Reactions: rantex92

hippy dave

BBMB
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you don't need RTC support, the EDGB clones from AliExpress work great, at least the one I got. Newer versions have a push button to reset to the game selection menu, which is handy.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I'm eying an EZ-Flash Jr. but now the first thread I clicked on here (ironically the forum that ezflash links to on its official site) had a reply that the EZ-Flash Jr. "sucks" and one should get an "EDGB" instead.

Now I've done the basic search engine research but it seems like a bit of a rabbit hole. So, to those in here that know, what would you say is the best option as of now (Nov. 2023)?
  • What options are there for flash cards that can store a significant amount of ROMs in one cartridge? Do they all use SD-cards? Is there one better than the others?
  • Are there different hardware generations for EZ-Flash Jr. and Co.? Can I tell which I'd get when buying online?
  • Are there "traps" of getting bad quality clones and ways to avoid that?
  • Am I missing a more elegant solution? I know about emulators but want to play on my original Gameboy Color.
Thanks and sorry if I'm asking obvious stuff, this is all a bit new and confusing to me.
if you cant find a legit seller and your homecountry is rly austria

i could recommend a shop from germany where i got all my everdrives and those are legit krikkz ones

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
It was me, and I still stand behind what I said initially. The Jr not only costs more, but the menu system is sluggish, it draws significantly more power, and because of the power draw, it sometimes can't init the SD card on boot for systems that have an IPS screen installed. It's also got RTC problems.

So I recommend getting two flash carts instead: An EDGB for regular games, and an MBC3000 v4 by BennVenn for games that need RTC. Both carts together are STILL significantly cheaper than buying an Everdrive X7. The MBC3000 can also have two separate ROMs installed at the same time, switching between them using dip switches. (The guy really is a genius)

Reactions: Scarlet

Scarlet

Onion Soup
Editorial Team
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
Website
scarlet.works
XP
Country
United Kingdom
If you do decide to go with the EverDrive, just be aware there have been revisions of the X7, and that older ones won’t work with the Analogue Pocket. Don’t think it matters if you’re only planning on using it on real hardware though.

RAHelllord

Literally the wurst.
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
If you do decide to go with the EverDrive, just be aware there have been revisions of the X7, and that older ones won’t work with the Analogue Pocket. Don’t think it matters if you’re only planning on using it on real hardware though.
For what it's worth most official distributors shouldn't have had those older revisions in stock for over a year now, that's mostly just a concern for used ones.

Deleted member 194275

Edson Arantes do Nascimento
Trophies
XP

hollo47

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
Thanks for all the detailed replies!
  • Is there a Germany-based distributor you would recommend (I'm from Austria)
  • I did some digging and the difference in battery draw seem even more significant than what I expected. EZFlash Jr. +75% vs Everdrive X5 (didn't find numbers for X7) +25% compared to genuine cartridges.
  • @Jayro: What is an "EDGB"? I thought the "ED" is short for "Everdrive". Do you have a link or something specific to search for?

Jayro

MediCat USB Dev
Developer
Trophies
Website
ko-fi.com
XP
Country
United States
  • I did some digging and the difference in battery draw seem even more significant than what I expected. EZFlash Jr. +75% vs Everdrive X5 (didn't find numbers for X7) +25% compared to genuine cartridges.
  • @Jayro: What is an "EDGB"? I thought the "ED" is short for "Everdrive". Do you have a link or something specific to search for?
If you go on AliExpress you'll find it, it's about $25 USD and it's an EverDrive X3 clone.

rantex92

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
here they would sent to austria too

dragonbox.de

and gbx7 rev C are in stock

NoRezervationz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I quite enjoy and recommend the EZ-Flash Jr. It works very well with the Analogue Pocket, but without the extra large price tag. I'm quite impressed.

hollo47

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
here they would sent to austria too

dragonbox.de

and gbx7 rev C are in stock
Thanks for the link! Price seems to be significantly higher, though. Not sure what import fees would be but if the official site really does a black friday deal it should still be like 40% cheaper and I can wait 5 weeks for shipping, that's alright.

lostupi

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
I have the EZ-Flash Jr. and like it. I had to get the preview firmware for it from a thread here on GBAtemp because it would not work on my Analogue Pocket, and somebody said the preview firmware fixed it. It did fix it, for what it's worth.

However, I am a big fan of cheat codes and that alone means your only viable option is the Everdrive GB X7.

In response to your fears of getting clones, just buy from Stone Age Gamer and/or Retro Game Repair Shop and you won't have any trouble. I risked it and got my EZ-Flash Jr., Omega, and Omega DE from AliExpress, but I made sure to only buy from reputable looking sellers.
Do you know where I can find the preview version that you are mention? So far I had no luck

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto