Wabsta

you fight like a dairy farmer
Trophies
Website
www.wabsta.com
XP
Country
Netherlands
I use DreamWeaver, Alttab, Filezilla and (cntrl+)F5.
Works great.

Ofcourse, for big projects, for, for example, school, I use Eclipse, so I can Debug.

Was that On Topic? I saw a discussion about dreamweaver so..

Oh btw, Rydian, check out FreeHostia, if you're still busy with that guide. It's a bit slow, but it's pretty good, without adds, and I think it doesn't put shit in pages, unlike 000webhost for example (Oh dear the problems I had with a simple script that had to return stuff to a flash file, turned out, they put a bunch off bullshit at the end of PHP scripts).

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
omgdaniel said:
I don't see how it's terrible just coding side. I can see why you're against it for it's design side, but the coding side is very good. Sure, you can't see server-sided languages when tabbing back and fourth, but that doesn't mean you can't just code in it. I write all my code in it, server-sided and client-sided. Not really worth the money imo, but not really a terrible program.
It's too tempting for budding web devs to rely on it's functions and not code themselves. It's been seen over and over and over. I'm attempting to encourage development and learning here, if this guide was just how to get a page to say something I'd tell people to sign up for freewebs and click the prettiest template, you know?

And yup, I'll add links to hosts, believe me.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
Okay...

1 - Fixed "making pages", a recently-fixed forum bug broke it.
2 - Added the example templates and explanation of server-side includes.
3 - Added some question to the FAQ.
4 - Added the hosts lists.

Hosting sites sometimes change their practices, and while I was going to add freehostia, the signup now states "no top and bottom banner ads", which is suspiciously specific... so I'm just to ask that before somebody suggest a host, they upload and view a script.

omgdaniel

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Rydian said:
omgdaniel said:
I don't see how it's terrible just coding side. I can see why you're against it for it's design side, but the coding side is very good. Sure, you can't see server-sided languages when tabbing back and fourth, but that doesn't mean you can't just code in it. I write all my code in it, server-sided and client-sided. Not really worth the money imo, but not really a terrible program.
It's too tempting for budding web devs to rely on it's functions and not code themselves. It's been seen over and over and over. I'm attempting to encourage development and learning here, if this guide was just how to get a page to say something I'd tell people to sign up for freewebs and click the prettiest template, you know?

And yup, I'll add links to hosts, believe me.

Yeah, I gotcha.
yay.gif
Good write up btw, glad to see people maybe starting to code some web pages. Been doing it for so long, and still love it. :] Keep updating, so much more to add on. Oh, and client-sided scripting might have been easier than server-sided, since maybe not all free hosts have PHP enabled on default; maybe they do, I havn't used any free hosting in so long.

Rydian

Resident Furvert™
OP
Trophies
Website
rydian.net
XP
Country
United States
PHP on free hosts is almost a given nowadays, given that it's free, can be locked down easily, and is attractive to potential customers. The only server-side stuff I went into was includes, I'm just making sure they're aware of the concept for future things, I don't plan on this guide to get much bigger since as the intro states it's just for homebrew coders and such to get their own little corner of the web.

Phoenix Goddess

The Ninja's Protégée
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Byethost is absolutely terrible.
It's what my forum had before we switched to vpn1euro.
Byethost would randomly suspend your account if it got too much activity and you'd be allowed "9" tries before it's completely suspended, but all it took for me was three tries.
My forum was almost a month old at the time.

Their service is just bad. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone.
Zarcon gave me a pretty good list of free hosts if you'd like for me to post them, Rydian.

haddad

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If ppl are not sure with html/css/php coding, you can use WordPress which is a CMS that you can customize to ur heart's content
happy.gif

I have used it for my own website (available in my signature on the far right)

ShadowtearX

Trophies
XP
Country
Now i would like to ask you this:
Before i read this post i changed over to alot of other hosts because my old ones dont allow it because of hacking discussion and warez etc,

So who says this site wont do the same?

also, you can add smf to the site and make it a forum, witch is also really nice!

ShadowtearX

Trophies
XP
Country
Rydian said:
I'm not aware of any free hosts that allow illegal content, and I'm not going to help you find one.

ROM hacks are fine, but when you include "warez" that changes everything.

Nope, my site was only about hackind discussion and it got closed because if that.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Bunjolio @ Bunjolio: