Tutorial  Updated

How to make an ISO of Newer Super Mario Bros Wii!

2021: Dolphin added Riivolution Patch support, so this is not something you need to do anymore. It's easier to just not do this. Also I'm not sure if this works anymore. YMMV. :)

So you'd like to make an ISO of one of NewerTeam's delightfully well made and absolutely impressive Riivolution based mods? Well, where there's a will, there's a way! Thanks to the works of a few people including, but not limited to @damysteryman, @2Shirt, @CaseyOmah, and myself, you can produce high quality functioning ISO's of all of the NewerTeam Wii mods, as well as a few other mods by others. The main use for an ISO of these games would be to run them in Dolphin or on a Wii with a USB Loader instead of through Riivolution- which requires either a softmodded Wii or Wii U vWii and a disc of New Super Mario Bros. Wii to be inserted.

It's important to note that this method for playing these mods is not supported by NewerTeam in any way, shape, or form. If you've built an ISO of one of the mods and run into any issues in the game, please report it in this thread, and not to NewerTeam.

In order to build an ISO of a New Super Mario Bros. Wii mod, you are going to need:
- A .iso file of New Super Mario Bros Wii. [Do not ask here where to obtain this, it is against the forum ToS.]
- The mod you would like to build an ISO of. [Most can be obtained from http://newerteam.com/]
- A little patience and some time.
- An archive manager like 7-zip.

Without farther adieu, the guide itself.

You will first need to get one of the NSMB Mod ISO Builders. I recommend this one, which I've recently looked over and tested myself, as of the current post date, it works perfectly with the current version of Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii. [1.2.0 at the time of post.]

So download that, and open in in your archive manager, and extract the folder somewhere you can work pretty easily, like the desktop or in your downloads folder. After doing that you should have something that looks like this.
0vx6aM.png

Next you'll need to get your ISO of New Super Mario Bros. Wii and place it in this folder, the file should be in either .WBFS or .ISO format. I reccomend using CleanRip on a Wii with The Homebrew Channel to obtain this, personally. Do not post asking for an ISO of the game, as that is against the forum rules.

Now you'll need to drop the contents of the mod you wish to install into this folder as well. In this example, I will be using Newer Super Mario Bros. Wii, which you can obtain from NewerTeam's Website.

At this point, your folder should be looking something like this:
UEhuiX.png

Now, you should right click on the "Build_ISO_Patched.bat" and a command window will show up with instructions. From this point it's rather self explanatory, however, I'll go over it with you all anyway in case someone get's a little confused.

PVL9RV.png
Here you'll want to press the number that corresponds to the mod you are going to build, in the example case, it is 1.

BZTeMa.png
And here you'll generally want to pick Autodetect, however, if you know what version of NSMBW you have, it can't hurt to pick that instead.

N7sAQo.png
Here you'll generally want to go with WBFS, since it ouputs a scrubbed image that's only around 900mb, rather then a 4.7gb DVD sized ISO image. Both play flawlessly on a real Wii or on Dolphin, so WBFS is of course, recommended.

ypAhDs.png
This setting is rather complicated- without a ton of explanation, generally you will want to pick 3 here. What this will do is create a save file for each mod, that takes up it's own space in the Wii Data Management, meaning, that you won't have save file shared between mods and the original game. Setting 1 will make the game read and write savedata to the original New Super Mario Bros. Wii save file, and setting 2 will create one additional save file instead that All mods built with that setting share. Again, 3 is by far the best option here.

r73ff1.png
This setting is mostly important for USB Loader users, since Dolphin rarely ever displays Wii Disc Channel banners, however, I recommend you use setting 2, since at the time of this writing, the banners are currently not up on GXArena- or any other banner repositories I can find, and this builder, as of now, only checks GXArena.

Beyond this, just press 1 to confirm your settings, and wait for the ISO to build, once it's done you'll see this.
oQpPZG.png

The file is outputted in the folder from earlier, that'll be named after your Mod and the ID it's given on the Disc.
From here you can run your mod in Dolphin or send it to a hard-drive for use on a Wii in a USB Loader, enjoy!
RMdGg9.jpg

pcjNNd.jpg

Last edited by CheatFreak47, , Reason: 1.2.0 duh

CaseyOmah

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.caseyomah.com
XP
Country
United States
Well, it SHOULD be possible to take the file and load it onto the sysnand with a program like savegame menager- but I'm not entirely sure. Wanna send me your riivolution save to test? I could pack it for you and provide you with a standard Wii data.bin for it, I think.

And yes, the tool the ISO builder uses to do it's thing, WIT, is capable of packing/unpacking Wii images into either ISO or WBFS, to and from- but it is a command line program, I think someone tried to write a GUI for it, but I've never seen any good ones iirc. The actual ISO builder I'm supplying is only capable of handling NSMBW mods- specifically the ones listed in the menu.

@CaseyOmah is working on a riivolution XML parser last I checked though, and possibly a new ISO builder version at some point. I'm keeping tabs on that- but it's been a while since I've seen any updates on that front.

Indeed, you should provide the solution, the more details and issues I can resolve for the end users in the original post, the better. Whatever the solution is, I'll make sure to make a mention of it in the original post somewhere.

Yes, It's still on my agenda, v1.7 of NSMBWIP (New Super Mario Brothers Wii Image Patcher), then RIB (Riivolution Image Builder) But I have been quite busy as of late with College.

@Philip3ds Riivolution doesn't normally use the Wii save manager, instead it uses save files stored on your media (SD/USB) With a little bit of work they can be converted to be compatible, but there isn't any way I know of to write an image file to use media storage instead of save manager.

Update: I finished making the engine changes for messagesPatch, I need to add a line to the plugin files. Format will be messagesPatch=src1:dest1;src2:dest2:...srcN:destN parsed the same way as Lang, including the escape codes.

Last edited by CaseyOmah,
Reactions: CheatFreak47

jrinco11

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Old thread, I know, but I've been trying this for a few days now to get this working on my wiiu, but I keep getting stuck -- I run the tool, it creates the wbfs, it appears to install fine on my wiiu, I load the game, correct banners show up, it boots into vwii mode in that the tv and gamepad go black, then "wii" appears on the gamepad, then goes back to black, and there it sits. Any suggestions on what I can try to fix it? (New super mario bros wiivc I created still works fine)

EDIT: I used this builder instead (after deleting any old Newer installs that weren't working, again) and it now works! https://horizon.miraheze.org/wiki/Newer_Mod_ISO_Builder

Last edited by jrinco11,
Reactions: NoobletCheese

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, there's a windows tutorial. How about Unix based? Literally with Wine's cmd.exe (command prompt basically) is going on about riivolution\NSMBW.xml not containing any patches & exits.

FredericVincent

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
hello I would like to play a newer super mario bros wii on my wii u but the problem is not the injection but rather the patch 1.3.0 with the most recent iso builder from the moment I text you I test the iso with dolphin and it remains frozen on the screen press 2 thank you

ramurel

Trophies
XP
Country
Austria
hello I would like to play a newer super mario bros wii on my wii u but the problem is not the injection but rather the patch 1.3.0 with the most recent iso builder from the moment I text you I test the iso with dolphin and it remains frozen on the screen press 2 thank you
Same problem here, did anyone figure out a solution?

xXSuperSkelletonXx

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So i made a iso (and a wbfs file) of newer super mario bros wii. The screen works fine, but once they tell me to play side ways and to press 2, the screen freeze on black. I can’t even go to the home menu. Anybody knows how to fix this?

SonicRings

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So i made a iso (and a wbfs file) of newer super mario bros wii. The screen works fine, but once they tell me to play side ways and to press 2, the screen freeze on black. I can’t even go to the home menu. Anybody knows how to fix this?
I'm having the same issue.
Post automatically merged:

Old thread, I know, but I've been trying this for a few days now to get this working on my wiiu, but I keep getting stuck -- I run the tool, it creates the wbfs, it appears to install fine on my wiiu, I load the game, correct banners show up, it boots into vwii mode in that the tv and gamepad go black, then "wii" appears on the gamepad, then goes back to black, and there it sits. Any suggestions on what I can try to fix it? (New super mario bros wiivc I created still works fine)

EDIT: I used this builder instead (after deleting any old Newer installs that weren't working, again) and it now works! https://horizon.miraheze.org/wiki/Newer_Mod_ISO_Builder
Sadly this doesn't work

Last edited by SonicRings,

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo