Tutorial  Updated

How-to install a CFW on a 9.0-9.2 N3DS without CN/OOT

CN : Cubic Ninja
OOT : Zelda Ocarina of Time
HBL : Homebrew Launcher

Notice for gateway users : you can also use this tutorial to use your gateway on your N3DS without CN/OOT.

You need :
- A 9.0-9.2 n3ds obviously
- The latest gateway firmware if you're planning to use mset. (you can find it on their site)
- The HBL starter kit : https://smealum.github.io/ninjhax2/starter.zip
- The latest ninjhax version of FBI : https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-fbi-open-source-cia-installer.386433/
- A cia version of the cia manager you want to install (for example FBI or BigBlueMenu)
- Emunand9Tool : https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-emunand9tool-open-source-emunand-formatter-manager.405921/
- Encrypted 9.0-9.2 and 9.5 firmware.bin: can't link it here, but search "firmware9.2.bin" on google (with the quotes) and download the Cakes.zip folder. The md5 of the firmware9.2.bin should be 87aea2e8c30a533fd9f319683b3a0793 and b99adf0adb279712367c06eb83ba9ae6 for the 9.5 one.
- (only for cakes) The cetk file : http://nus.cdn.c.shop.nintendowifi.net/ccs/download/0004013820000002/cetk
- an Internet connexion (use the tubehax dns to prevent background update downloading)

I Installing a cia manager on your sysnand

Method 1 : with CakesFW

1. Extract the starter kit on your micro-sd card root.
2. Copy the "3ds" folder from the FBI one on your micro-sd card root.
3. Downlad the latest Cakes here : Copy the 3ds folder, the cakes folder and the Cakes.dat file on your micro-sd card.
4. Copy the cia you want to install on your micro-sd card.
5. Copy the cetk and the firmware9.2.bin in the cakes folder, rename firmware9.2.bin firmware.bin
6. Setup Browserhax : https://gbatemp.net/threads/yellows8s-browserhax-thread.398132/
7. Start the HBL with browserhax.
8. Select Cakes
9. select Patches, choose "Disable signature checks" only for now.
10. Boot the cfw.
11. Once you're back in the menu, immediatly start the HBL again
12. This time, choose FBI.
13. Use FBI to install the cia manager of your choice.

Method 2 : with Pasta CFW

3. Dowload the PastaCFW files : http://jheberg.net/captcha/pastacfw-for-ninjhax2-90-92/ . Copy the PastaCFW folder in the 3ds folder.
5. Setup Browserhax : https://gbatemp.net/threads/yellows8s-browserhax-thread.398132/
6. Launch the HBL with browserhax.
7. Choose the PastaCFW
8. Once you're back in the menu, immediatly start the HBL again
9. This time, choose FBI.
10. Use FBI to install your prefered cia installer

Reminder :
Q: I'm getting a "DESCRIPTION_DATABASE_DOES_NOT_EXIST" / "DESCRIPTION_INVALID_DATABASE" error!
A: You likely haven't installed anything from eShop or other locations before. You will need to go to the "Nintendo 3DS/<id0>/<id1>/dbs/" directory on your SD card and create empty "title.db" and "import.db" files. Then, go to System Settings -> Data Management -> Nintendo 3DS -> Software on your 3DS and let it repair the database files.

II. Setting up the emunand.

Method 1 : with Emunand9Tool
1. Put the 3DS folder of Emunand9Tool on your sdcard root
2. Launch the HBL then select Emunand9Tool
3. Select EmuNAND Manager Options -> Dump SysNAND to NAND.bin
4. Once it's done, press B twice, then select to unmount the micro-sd card
5. Backup your micro-sd card content on your computer and put your nand backup somewhere safe.
6. Put back your micro-sd card in your console then press B
7. Select Complete EmuNAND Setup and confirm
8. Once it's done, press start to reboot and restore your micro-sd card content.

Method 2 : with the Gateway Launcher (use this if you have a gateway, it also work without it)
You need :
- The latest Gateway firmware available on their site
1. Copy the launcher.dat file on your micro-sd card root
2. Extract the GW_3dsx.zip archive on your micro-sd card root
3. Backup your micro-sd card content on your computer
4. Launch the HBL and select Gateway. (if you have the gateway inserted on your console, remove it first)
5. In the gateway menu, select "Format Emunand"
6. Then select "Backup System nand"
7. Finally, press down + B to shut down the console
8. Restore your micro-sd card content and put your nand backup somewhere safe.

III Booting into the emunand

To boot into your emunand :

Cakes
If you choosed the Cakes method in the first part you can just continue to use it :
- Download the latest fimware.bin here (first link, rename it firmware.bin)
- Dowload the slot0x11key96.bin on that iso site (Google "CakesFW - Open Source CFW with emunand support!") and put it on your micro-sd card root
- In the cakes menu check the emunand patch.

Reinand :
- Download this on extract it on your micro-sd card root : http://jheberg.net/captcha/reinand-n3ds-emunand-96/
- Download the latest fimware.bin (you can find the link in the reinand github), rename it firmware.bin and put it in the rei folder
- Select Reinand in the HBL

Gateway
If you have a gateway, just select Boot Gateway Mode in the Gateway menu. (if you have the gateway inserted when you choose Gateway in the HBL, it will skip the menu and directly boot into it)
Or you can use rxTools (some features still don't work on n3ds, refer to this : https://gbatemp.net/posts/5705403/).

rxTools
If you want to use rxTools, you need :
- rxTools nightly : http://jheberg.net/captcha/rxtools-2015-11-19-265d53e/
1. Create a firm folder inside the rxTools folder, copy the firmware9.5.bin in it
2. Rename the firmware 9.5.bin 0004013820000002.bin. Then copy the rxTools folder on your micro-sd card root
3. Copy the rxTools folder from the ninjhax folder in your "3ds" folder.
4. Then start rxTools from the HBL. Press a key at the end of the data installation to boot into your emunand.

Be aware that both Gateway and rxtools only support emunand up to 9.5 at the moment

IV Updating the emunand

With Cakes/Reinand :
1. Change your sysnand (and only your sysnand) language.
2. Boot into your emunand. If if it's not in your main language, that's mean you are not in your emunand (or you changed the language of the wrong nand), so don't continue or you will update your sysnand, or worse.
3. Go the system settings (it should still be on your main language), and don't exit it until the update is done. Disable the tubehax dns if you have it, then start the update.

With Reinand
1. Boot into Emunand, and go to the system settings.
2. Make sure it says Rei in front of the version number to be sure that you are in emuNAND. If it does don't exit the systems setings until the update is done. If it doesn't, don't continue or you will update your sysnand, or worse.
3. Disable the tubehax dns if you have it, then start the update.

With rxTools/Gateway :
Follow this : https://gbatemp.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-update-emunand-on-a-n3ds.393701/

V Start the CFW without internet.

1. With menuhax

This method only work if your emunand are unlinked (to unlink the nand, format your sysnand with the micro-sd card out)
Install menuhax using browserhax : https://github.com/yellows8/3ds_homemenuhax/releases
To uninstall menuhax just change your sysnand theme.
Notice : You can use this if you want to coldboot on the CFW (or Gateway) of your choice : http://gbatemp.net/threads/ctrbootmanager-3ds-boot-manager-loader-homemenuhax.398383/

2. With a downgraded mset

To downgrade your mset :
- Copy the mset_region.cia from the GATEWAY ULTRA 3.X\MSET4.5 installers for New 3DS REGION SPECIFIC !!!\your_region folder on your sd card. (and the bluecardfix if oyu have a gateway)
- Launch Pasta then FBI
- Switch the destination to nand.
- Install mset_region.cia. (If you have a gateway install the bluecardfix too)
- Go to the system settings. If the nnid settings are gone, that means the operation was successfull.
Then to setup the MSET rop :
- Start FBI then press select
- Choose "CakesFW N3DS 9.X" if you're using Cakes , "rxTools3.x N3DS 9.X" for rxTools, and "Encrypted Gateway N3DS 9.X" for Gateway.
- You can now start the cfw from System Settings -> Other Settings ->Profile -> DS Profile

Last edited by VerseHell,

fuchstiger

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Gambia, The
no :D
I have a problem after i unlink my sysnand with my emunand on pasta cfw.
How can i boot into my emunand on pasta cfw? The FBI Installer and Cubic Ninja are deleted after i unlinked it.

Connell112

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
no :D
I have a problem after i unlink my sysnand with my emunand on pasta cfw.
How can i boot into my emunand on pasta cfw? The FBI Installer and Cubic Ninja are deleted after i unlinked it.

Boot PastaCFW from HBL using browser exploit then go back onto HBL and boot RXtools then it should boot into emunand.

HeroPrinny

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Method 1 : with CakesFW

3. Downlad the latest Cakes here : Copy the 3ds folder, the cakes folder and the Cakes.dat file on your micro-sd card.
5. Copy the cetk and the firmware9.2.bin in the cakes folder, rename firmware9.2.bin firmware.bin
6. Setup Browserhax : https://gbatemp.net/threads/yellows8s-browserhax-thread.398132/
7. Start the HBL with browserhax.
9. In select Patches, choose "Disable signature checks" only for now.

What step is 8 supposed to be?

Jechticknight

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Any ideas on why Rxtools doesn't boot up for me guys?

Still having the issue. I can run CIAs when in pasta and that's good. (Loving ace attorney)

But I want to continue to process by setting up rxtools. I put the right files in the folder and have had the October files used instead of the latest, but when I first try to boot rx, it just black screens until I hard reset.

Any ideas?

VerseHell

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hey VerseHell can you please help me? I keep getting the error "could not initialize am service" when trying to install a .cia with FBI after booting cakescfw

Did you do exactly that : Browserhax -> Cakes -> Browserhax -> FBI? Also, are you sure you used the 9.2 firmware.bin and not the 9.5 one?

Any ideas on why Rxtools doesn't boot up for me guys?

Still having the issue. I can run CIAs when in pasta and that's good. (Loving ace attorney)

But I want to continue to process by setting up rxtools. I put the right files in the folder and have had the October files used instead of the latest, but when I first try to boot rx, it just black screens until I hard reset.

Any ideas?

Delete your rxtools folder and use the rxtools files in the first post.

Jonathan Martinez

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Did you do exactly that : Browserhax -> Cakes -> Browserhax -> FBI? Also, are you sure you used the 9.2 firmware.bin and not the 9.5 one?

Yes! But my n3ds is on 9.0, would that matter? Also I've read that some of the fbi problems can be fixing my creating a title.db & import.db file and repairing on the settings but my 3ds came with those files already since it had a video app installed.. Should I try deleting them and make the 3ds do the repair thing anyway?

EDIT: Btw I asked a friend for his sky3ds and downloaded cubic ninja yesterday.. How do you recommend me to proceed in any case?

Last edited by Jonathan Martinez,

bakibandi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Hi there. I would like to ask for some advices. I read a lot about this tutorial, but i am still not 100 % sure.
I have New 3DS, Zelda Majoras Mask edition, sysnand 9.0, region: EUR. I do not have any retail games (no Cubic Ninja, no Zelda Ocarina Of Time), but i have 2 flashcards: Supercard DSTWO and a new DSTWO plus. That means: i can use Gateway launcher 3.4.1 with dstwo plugin 1.03 (not the latest ones for now, because of safety -> this also means i will not have online access, but i dont care about that, i wanna play offline games). But in order to reach the Gateway menu, i have to use an entry point: the game Cubic Ninja.

1. Setting up PastaCFW / entering into Gateway mode:
According to the guide, i can use PastaCFW and install FBI to install Cubic Ninja cia to access Gateway menu and make a nand backup.

This is my main problem / concern. According to Pasta CWF official thread here on GBAtemp.net, this CFW operates in sysnand and do not have any emunand. In my understanding that means if i install a cubic ninja game as cia, i will install it into my sysnand directly (because i do not have an emunand yet). Am i right?

But some people states i can do this without any sysnand mondification, because using this guide i will install all stuffs into my sd card??
But how?

I copy some files to sd card to set up pastaCFW, that is ok, but then,
how can i install FBI and then the Cubic Ninja game as cia into my SD card not touching my sysnand at all?
Is there an option during this setup to choose all installation locations (FBI, cia installer, CN cia) into the sd card?

Please someone confirm this!

I do not want to install anything to my sysnand before i have an option to make a (clean) sysnand backup.

If i would buy a cubic ninja (or sky3ds to use as cubicninja), i could skip the FBI and game cia installation parts and i could reach Gateway menu without any risk, but that cost a lot of money (i can only buy it from ebay which is at least 50 EUR).

2. Setting up Emunand:
Is there a way to keep my current mset? I read the mset 4.5 exploit only works on old 3ds. But i have a New 3DS so i do not want to make that step. I do not want to downgrade my mset at all, i would like to keep the original state of my console as possible.
I am fine with using Cubic Ninja cia all the time to enter Gateway in order to reach my emunand where i already have my installed cia games, but is there a more simple way?

3. Updating Emunand to the latest (New 3DS means: 9.5):
I have to unlink my sysnand and emunand. I can not format my sysnand, because i will lose my pre isntalled zelda majoras mask game, so my only choice is to set up an emunand using gateway menu, then format my emunand to unlink them. But will this work in my case? How can i be sure that i have an unlinked sys-emunand?
If i update my emunand to 9.5 and my emunand is linked to sysnand (but i was not aware of that, because i believed they are unlinked) i can easily update my real sysnand to 9.5?

I am not sure which way i should update my emunand.
I read 3DNUS is useless now, 2 options left: rxtools or sysupdater.
I read rxtools is not noob friendly so i can easy mess up things. I am not familiar with sysupdater either.
Is there a noob friendly guide in my case? Which is your recommendation?
My goal here: i would like to try out Zelda Triforce Heroes, so i guess i have to use some firmware spoof tools as well...

I really appreciate your help and clarification. Thank you in advance.

VerseHell

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Is there an option during this setup to choose all installation locations (FBI, cia installer, CN cia) into the sd card?
Please someone confirm this!

Just let destination : SD in FBI. Take a look at this to understand
7UMPLDU.png

2. Setting up Emunand:
Is there a way to keep my current mset? I read the mset 4.5 exploit only works on old 3ds. But i have a New 3DS so i do not want to make that step. I do not want to downgrade my mset at all, i would like to keep the original state of my console as possible.
I am fine with using Cubic Ninja cia all the time to enter Gateway in order to reach my emunand where i already have my installed cia games, but is there a more simple way?

If you don't want to downgrade your mser you will have to do HBL -> Pasta -> CN -> Gateway. You can also setup themehax with ctrbootmanager to coldboot in pasta, so it will be a little faster.

I have to unlink my sysnand and emunand. I can not format my sysnand, because i will lose my pre isntalled zelda majoras mask game, so my only choice is to set up an emunand using gateway menu, then format my emunand to unlink them. But will this work in my case? How can i be sure that i have an unlinked sys-emunand?
If i update my emunand to 9.5 and my emunand is linked to sysnand (but i was not aware of that, because i believed they are unlinked) i can easily update my real sysnand to 9.5?

You can update with linked nand, but in both case, you must be 100% sure you are in the emunand before updating.

Reactions: bakibandi

bakibandi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
Thank you for your answers.

If I set FBI to SD card, will it install the cubic ninja as cia into the sd card as well?
I mean if I install that game in order to access gateway, but i take out my sd card and throw away, will be the result as if I simply did not do anything? As if I never applied pasta CFW to my sd card and I have a factory default N3DS XL console?

bakibandi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hungary
hmmm, I read it through. Sounds great, one part is unclear : "As long as you don't modify anything in the system NAND itself you could even just format the SD card." If I dont upgrade or downgrade, I dont modify. How can I modify it another ways?
You said if I follow this guide i only make some sd card processes, and the sysnand will be unchanged.

VerseHell

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Like downgrading the mset, installing the lates NVer on your sysnand to use the eshop spoof on it, the ds whitelist or dsiwares (dsiwares must be installed directly in the sysnand to work) for example.

Reactions: bakibandi

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Skelletonike @ Skelletonike: Welp, already have 40h in Stellar Blade and dying to home and put some more.