Not open for further replies.

Phile

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Hi there!​
Since there there is still no tutorial for setting up the Street Pass Relay on Windows 7, and i just recently managed to do it (with a lot of help from the info already posted on the thread), here is a quick explanation. I already sent this to the OP so he can put it on the first posts and complete the [HOW TO]. Feel free to delete this post when you do it, for clearness sake.​
Street Pass Relay on Windows 7:
Requirements:
A wired connection​
A Wifi card (i tested this on an old 1390 WLAN card, so i guess most should work).​
Connect your computer through your wired connection and disconnect from any wireless one.​
The Setup:
Just install Virtual Router, unzip Mac Shift on an accesible folder (or just the root of your C: drive) and run the following from a command line with administrator privileges (Type "cmd" without quotes on the search box of your start menu, when the "cmd.exe" file appears, just shift-click it and select "Run as Administrator"):​
Code:​
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow​
This will set up a Virtual Wifi Miniport on your network connections.​
Then, still on command line, go to the folder where you unzipped Mac Shift (If you unzipped it on C:\, you may want to type "Cd \" without quotes) and type:​
macshift -i "YOUR WIFI CONNECTION NAME"* macaddress**​
*Your wifi name should be the name of your Wireless Network Adapter typed just as it appears on your "Network Connections" folder, for example, for me it was "Wireless Network Connection". Please take in mind that this should be your Wireless Network adapter name, and NOT the one of your just-created "virtual network", nor the name of your wired adapter.​
** Mac Address should be typed without ":", for example, 4E53504F4F46​
So, this line should look something like:​
macshift -i "Wireless Network Connection" 4E53504F4F46​
Run Virtual Router Manager.​
Complete the network name (Should be "attwifi")​
Put any password you like (remember to set up your connection on your 3DS later!).​
As "shared connection", select your Wired Adapter.​
Click on "Start Virtual Router", wait a few seconds, and you should get your street pass!​
To cycle between MACs:​
Just don't close your command line window!​
Press the UP arrow to bring back your last typed command, and change the last numbers of the mac address. This will restart your network connections (I stopped the Virtual Router every time before changing my MAC and restarted ir after doing so, but i don't believe this is necessary).​
Remember that, when you stop the Virtual Router, you should stop seeing the "attwifi" network, so no problem from neighbors stealing your internet (which was secured anyway). If you want to remove the Virtual Wifi Miniport, just type the following in an administrator privileged command line:​
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=disallow​
And, to return your Wifi Adapter to it's original MAC address:​
macshift -i "Wireless Network Connection" -r​
Enjoy!​

(I hope i didn't miss anything! Please post your feedback!)​

Ok, so following these instructions, I've gotten to the part with the wifi name being the wireless network adapter as it appears on your Network Connections folder. There is nothing showing up, so i looked at properties of my wifi and i noticed the option "Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection" was unchecked, so i checked it and an error came up saying "An error occurred while Internet Connection Sharing was being enabled.
Internet Connection Sharing cannot be enabled. A LAN connection is already configured with the IP address that is required for automatic IP addressing."

Can anyone help me out? I have been trying for hours to get this working and im sure this is the only thing i might be missing. I went ahead trying to use the "Wireless Connection" as the one that gets set up sometimes but it goes away. I;m very confused and I would love to share my progress with all of you in the DLC games and all the pink puzzle pieces that I have. If someone could walk a fellow streetpasser maniac through this I would be very grateful.

I also forgot to mention I am using Windows 8 software and yes, I checked in Command Prompt to see if my computer was capable of creating a hotspot and yes it is

Great guide to setup the hotspot. Shame that the problem is that you can not connect with it. So no relay for windows 7 users?

keyra

Spoderman self proclamed fan
Trophies
XP
Country
France
for me it's just a dns problem, you should try changing dns with your modem one, something like 192.168.0.254

darren42

Trophies
XP
Country
So i do need a wifi card to use it...
Is a USB Wifi Dongle ok too?

You can use either

Great guide to setup the hotspot. Shame that the problem is that you can not connect with it. So no relay for windows 7 users?

Try this method.

Completely close the Virtual Router Manager program and try the following commands in command prompt window with admin priveleges.

1)
Code:
netsh wlan set hostednetwork mode=allow ssid=attwifi key=password

Change "password" to the password key that you are using for the hotspot

2)
Code:
macshift -i "YOUR WIFI CONNECTION NAME" "macaddress"

Do this command after navigating to the directory that you keep machshift in. Change "YOUR WIFI CONNECTION NAME" to the name of your physical wireless connection. Replace "macaddress" with one of your choice.

3) Go to the properties of your wired connection and enable internet connection sharing with your virtual hotspot. Then use the following command to start the hotspot
Code:
netsh wlan start hostednetwork

Now see if your 3DS can connect to the internet.

ryuragnas

3DS FC: 0173-2593-8777
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
You could try the nvram method I posted earlier, but know that it will likely lower the lifespan of your router. Or keep troubleshooting!

That script does work, but i only have the router on for a couple hours at a time. Any other ways of scripting it?

darren42

Trophies
XP
Country
I would avoid any wifi adaptors using an Atheros chipset as a lot of people have problems setting up the virtual hotspot with them.

Wifi adaptors using Broadcom chipsets work fine not sure about the other chipsets out there.

assassinz

Visoly 512 Flash Advance Linker Xtreme Master!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ok. So using the 'Nintendo Wi-Fi USB connection on WinXP' Homepass method was acting up after trying the MACshift program.

The 3DS would recognize Nintendo Zone but the connection only showed 1 bar and wouldn't connect. And using Technitium MAC changer changed the MAC address but data transfer was slow, and I couldn't get any Streetpasses.

I fixed the slow connection by opening CMD.EXE and typing ipconfig /flushdns to clear the DNS cache.

If ipconfig /flushdns gives you a fail message, it means that the DNS client service is not running, which means it can't do its job of speeding your Internet access by caching domain name information—nor can it slow access if the cache gets bloated or corrupted.

Here's how you enable the service in XP:
1. Click Start
2. Click Run
3. Enter services.msc
4. Double-click DNS Client in the list
5. Set its start-up type to Automatic and click the Apply button
6. Click the Start button
7. Click OK
8. Close the Services list

or
from command line:
net stop "DNS Client"
net start "DNS Client"

Now that it's running you'll find that the ipconfig /flushdns command works properly.

I just thought this might help some people who are having trouble with a slow/weak connection on their Hotspots.

TaunTaun 22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm getting really frustrated.. so I can set up a hotspot via command prompt admin (virtual router isn't working anymore and i cant reinstall it for some reason) and the same thing thing is happening. The 3DS is picking up the attwifi and gets the Nintendo Zone notification, and then I try connecting to it in Internet settings and it connects to the "Access Point" (which i think would be my computer in this situation) and when it shows the connecting to the internet from Access Point it says Connection Test Failed Error Code 003-2101 Could not connect to the internet.

It looks like everything is working fine, but the 3DS can't connect to the internet from the hotspot I set up. Any help?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu